Data, data logging, and using that data

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:48 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,411 Likes on 1,936 Posts
Default Data, data logging, and using that data

I've been doing HPDE track days for about seven years now and want to get into some wheel to wheel racing in the next couple of years. I started going to HPDE with my DD, a 2000 Audi A4 quattro, which I slowly stripped down and made "faster". It was heavy, slow and underpowered but I learned a lot.

I upgraded in Nov. 2011 to a 1987 951 which was set up as a track car. Bought it from a PCA instructor from PA who I found through a WTB here on RL. Nice guy who gave me a great deal. What a difference from the Audi - I could actually pass people now!

The point of this thread - I want to get better and I am looking for advice on what data I should collect and how I should use it.

I'm currently installing the following gauges:

oil temp/ oil pressure (spa)
boost (aem)
afr (aem)
water temp (aem)

I also have an AIM solo. The gauges all have a "data output" so I can collect data from the sensors. If I had OBDII I would buy a Solo DL, but I don't.

Since the car is "old" I do not have OBDII or CAN. I was thinking about buying an AEM datalogger - http://www.jegs.com/i/AEM/017/30-250...Fckx4AodRTYA7g

Also bought a durometer and have a laser thermometer.

I am planning on keeping track of air temp, track temp, tire temp, durometer readings, and heat cycles. Between the datalogger, the Solo, and the tire readings, is there anything I am missing? Any advice on what I can collect which would help me improve? Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

Longitudinal G's over distance
Lateral G's over distance
Velocity over distance
Old 03-25-2013, 01:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,325 Likes on 1,889 Posts

The AEM unit would be fine for logging and displaying for review "vehicle health" parameters, just a permanent, easily recalled and displayed "gauge recorder." Is the Spa OP/OT gauge a mechanical or electric?

The Solo is good for logging basic driver development parameters. Speed, position, Long and Lat G's and timing information to identify best performance through the whole lap or portions of the lap.

IMO, and especially if you're going racing in the future, I would recommend a system that can log both information and display it on ONE screen, in ONE program, for your "old" car. There are plenty of options, but that is a separate topic.

I think an EVO4 plus a G-Dash would be your best bet. With AiM temp/pressure sensors, the ability to log boost (electrically) and AFR (with the 0-5V output from the AEM), you would be all set.

With separate systems, it's going to be a lot of work to tie in together the two disparate displays and separate logs. Very hard to draw linkages between the "vehicle health" and the "driver performance" (particular areas, speeds and forces) sustained on the track at the same geographic point for each measure.

Time is valuable at the racetrack. The quicker you can arrange and review this critical information, the better you can identify potential tuning issues (AFR/Boost), vehicle health issues (temps and pressures) and zero in on areas of potential driver performance improvement!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

VC and Peter,

Thanks for the info. All gauges are electronic with data output because I knew I eventually wanted to capture the data. EVO4 with a screen looks like the right solution. After spending several thousand dollars in the last month of tires, parts, etc. I need to take a breather before throwing down that kind of cash! But I think I will hold off on the AEM datalogger in favor of a more expandable robust solution.

I think both my Solo and the EVO4 collect the data g loaded data. At least I have something for now.

Peter - you sell the EVO, correct? I'll contact you when the budget allows.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, your Solo and an EVO4 would collect all the g load data, as well as speed and track position.

I do, and I'll help you set it up so it works with you existing stuff. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, your Solo and an EVO4 would collect all the g load data, as well as speed and track position.

I do, and I'll help you set it up so it works with you existing stuff. Thanks!
Sounds like an excuse for a road trip to VIR.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Sounds like an excuse for a road trip to VIR.
Hahahaha! Sounds good to me!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

I think Peter is right on.

Quick Reply: Data, data logging, and using that data