Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poll: New Porsche 991/981 Track Cars - How do you rank these?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

clip..

Poor ppl buy cayman
When cayman is 200,000USD and gt2 is 100,000USD u will still hear only poor man buys cayman.

Strang but true
I am OK with being poor Mooty!

And it really pisses of the 6 & 7 cup owners when a Cayman out qualifies them or is right on there tails. Its my car worth less than the others? Most certainly, but I have zero desire to sell it so I do not much care.

1:25 at LS? Nope, but I suspect this year we will hit 1:33.

Here is some video from a recent event at Chuckwalla. The 7 cups (and 6 R) ahead all have about 90-100 more HP than my poor mans Porsche, but we hang in there OK (different class). Fortunately the guys in the 6 and 7 cups behind me can't be seen in the video

Cheers,
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Small statistical sample for sure but most I know (all upper run grp guys) have moved more toward limiting exposure (money sense) in their track cars. Many BMWs, SpecBoxes, older 911 platforms. The prior track cars ranged from.2Gt3RSs to Cup Lotuses, and all in between.. So, if you're looking at the 'track market' its something to consider. That said, I dont know if that is a trend or a local anomally...
Here in my business, I have a number of GT3 and 997Turbo customers who went out and bought brand new Caymans specifically as their disposable track toy. Not all of us are so flush, but I am seeing a decent number of these.

The mentality is that the nicer more expensive 911 chassis cars are something they don't want to risk on track or depreciate with track miles and abuse. But they will put close to the same money as they spent on the 911 on a Cayman track rat.

However as you said, there are also a lot of people (more) who own the same 911 variants mentioned above whose track rat is an STi, Evo, M3, or if they are racers, Spec Miatas, SPB, or Spec E30.

Personally I think that for shops who want to do build out cars for clients, the next few years are going to be 987.2 Caymans with 3.8 swap and the 981 Cayman customers are going to be a few years off yet. The guys who will buy the new car and immediately track prep it are the outliers and the meat of the bell curve are 2-5 year old used car buyers (2nd owners) who have bought the car after the depreciation hit has occurred.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Alright people, what's the appropriate market pricing for a base 981 Cayman with 991 front uprights, 991 front 6-piston calipers, Cayman S rear 4-piston calipers, alcantara shift boot, wheel and e-brake? Oh and I almost forgot, a 991 motor at 400/325. This is a car that retails at $63K with low options in the form of seats, 6-speed, NAV and Bose BEFORE the engine swap. Before everyone says $90K, that's the sum of the cost of all of the parts involved. There's zero markup in that. At $96K, will this car sell?!?! My gut tells me that any modified 981, converted Cayman with a 3.8, 4.0 or a V8 will not fetch anything with 6 digits in the asking price unless it was a brand new car from PCNA with a bumber to bumper warranty. Is that what the public says? Feelings won't be hurt. 12 people have emailed/called over the last 2 weeks about this project and I'm trying to be realistic with pricing on what a turn-key car would fetch.

Essentially this a 981 Cayman S with a 3.8 liter 991 engine and 6-piston 991 front calipers. I can't seem to get carbon buckets or an aero kit yet. If I could, I would.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

991 motor because Mezger is not available?
Old 04-18-2013, 03:12 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nizer
991 motor because Mezger is not available?
It's not bolt in.

The gearbox/engine mating design puts the starter on the engine side instead of the gearbox side like was used on the air cooled cars and Mezger GT3 and Turbo water pumpers. Bolt pattern is different too. Would require about $4000 of custom adapter plate and flywheel to make it work, whereas a Carrera engine will bolt right up to a Cayman gearbox, PDK or 6spd...
Old 04-18-2013, 03:43 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 69 Posts

Old 04-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
It's not bolt in.

The gearbox/engine mating design puts the starter on the engine side instead of the gearbox side like was used on the air cooled cars and Mezger GT3 and Turbo water pumpers. Bolt pattern is different too. Would require about $4000 of custom adapter plate and flywheel to make it work, whereas a Carrera engine will bolt right up to a Cayman gearbox, PDK or 6spd...
Got it. Thanks.

So does that mean that in theory a Cayman 6speed should bolt up to the new 9A1 GT3 motor?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nizer
Got it. Thanks.

So does that mean that in theory a Cayman 6speed should bolt up to the new 9A1 GT3 motor?
In theory, yes. Though one also needs to be aware that there are 2 Cayman gearbox bell housing bolt patterns. There are the 9A1 versions of the 2nd and 3rd gear DI cars and then there is the M96 based first gen version.

Can't go out and buy a 2008 Cayman S and put a 2010 Carrera engine into it.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
White Caymans scare me...
With good reason
Old 04-19-2013, 06:35 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Here in my business, I have a number of GT3 and 997Turbo customers who went out and bought brand new Caymans specifically as their disposable track toy. Not all of us are so flush, but I am seeing a decent number of these.

The mentality is that the nicer more expensive 911 chassis cars are something they don't want to risk on track or depreciate with track miles and abuse. But they will put close to the same money as they spent on the 911 on a Cayman track rat.

However as you said, there are also a lot of people (more) who own the same 911 variants mentioned above whose track rat is an STi, Evo, M3, or if they are racers, Spec Miatas, SPB, or Spec E30.

Personally I think that for shops who want to do build out cars for clients, the next few years are going to be 987.2 Caymans with 3.8 swap and the 981 Cayman customers are going to be a few years off yet. The guys who will buy the new car and immediately track prep it are the outliers and the meat of the bell curve are 2-5 year old used car buyers (2nd owners) who have bought the car after the depreciation hit has occurred.

Bingo. +993

Quick Reply: Poll: New Porsche 991/981 Track Cars - How do you rank these?