Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Kokeln/Fuel Safe Cell Install, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Kokeln/Fuel Safe Cell Install, is it worth it?

Recently I picked up a roller w/ a NASA compliant cage as it was cheaper than installing/redoing the cage in my current car. In addition to other goodies, it came with the coveted Kokeln/FS/worldwide motorsport 27 gallon enduro cell.

As you can in the pictures below, the PO cut out the rear in preparation to install the cell but didn't get much further than that. So here is my predicament, is it worth installing this cell? My plans are to run NASA super touring, and while I can still run a stock tank, I'm curious if the safety aspects of the cell make it worthwhile to install.

Other things to note, while the cell has never been installed, it is 10 years old, so I will need a new bladder. I was quoted a price of roughly 1600 dollars to have this done, and I would still need to ship the monstrosity to the west coast. Additionally, NASA rules state I need some sort of bulkhead separating the driver from the cell/connections. Does this mean I need to cover the entire cell or just the fueling connections?

I have searched and searched and really haven't come across anyone running this cell, let alone installation pictures or a write up. I'm almost tempted to just sell the cell and use a stock tank(which will require some fabbing for the tank straps and filler neck).

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I nearly bought that roller a few years ago when the fellow was moving from Texas.

You can use a stock tank with NASA ST. If you use that cell you will also have to add pick ups and pumps for that tank, dry brake etc.

I would be interested in purchasing that from you if you don't want it and would be happy to send you a 951 tank in partial trade.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disasterman
I think I nearly bought that roller a few years ago when the fellow was moving from Texas.

You can use a stock tank with NASA ST. If you use that cell you will also have to add pick ups and pumps for that tank, dry brake etc.

I would be interested in purchasing that from you if you don't want it and would be happy to send you a 951 tank in partial trade.
Ya the roller has some history, I picked it up from a guy runs a DE program here in Texas. He got it as collateral after never getting any of his investments back from the owners company(its some long drawn out story).

I emailed the Texas ST director (a former 944 V8 guy) about rules regarding putting the stock tank back in since I would have to redo the floorboard either way.

Shoot me a PM on how much you would pay for the cell, just an FYI its not as "bolt in" as every describes and does require a good bit of cutting and fabbing. I'm a terrible salesman but I don't want another rennlister to feel he was ripped off.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:33 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that cell installed in my spec car. Shoot me your email and I can see if I can dig up my pics. It was a fairly easy install when you see how I did it.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

Sent you a PM w/ my email, would love to see some pics.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

Doing a nice 6 month bump, but I sent the cell off to get rebuilt and certified. Now i'm about to install it with a general idea of how it goes in. If anyone has any pictures of one installed please send them over. All I can find are the three kokeln pics and they're not too much help.

Quick Reply: 944 Kokeln/Fuel Safe Cell Install, is it worth it?