Question for PCA Cayman, or GT3R/S , GT3R/S drivers

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:46 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Question for PCA Cayman, or GT3R/S , GT3R/S drivers

Trying to decide which way to go here:

we have our #05 ZSA Motorsport Heinlein Racing Development Cayman we run in World Challenge. In WC, they load us up to 3050lbs as you come off the track, etc. but we can run the 3.8L throttle body. I ran the car at LRP WC wit the 3.8L throttle body, the 3050 , stock plenum and air handling. was fast car.

we modified it, TB, weight for the pca njmp race. car turned 1:25.08 class record in GTB1 which was a bit over some of the intercontinental cars. most likely tires on a hot day and some of the other mods which the ITC and Interseries cars dont usually have but permitted in gtb1.

to me, was a pita to spend the money and time to convert it up and back. plus i frickin hate having the plenum intake off, etc. for fear of something dropping in the mtoor or not tightened down. in my belief, you mess with that stuff as little as humanly possibly unless you're making gains in trying something, but it irks me to swap back and forth.

so i was thinking about running in GT field. my guess and with the help of musante because frankly, while im good with math, i fully didnt comprehened the computation at first,...leads me to believe that the car would run in the GT3R field. i could go to a min of 2622 pounds. that would literally be nearly 400 pounds less than current. and scarey, we have like 300lbs of ballast in the car so i can get it within 50 lbs if i yank out the coolsuit for qualifying and we finish with fumes. and thus i could leave in the 3.8TB and not muss about. thus for WC races, i toss in the weight, align and go.

my guess is end up with the fast gt3Rs, yonkers monster 4R, the gtc4 cups and fast gt3 996 cups. but in the cup class.

the third alternative is to add weight about 100lbs get up to like 3200 from the 3050 im at now, all fat and jiggle with cellulite and lead weights strapped to my legs to get to weight...and run gt4R but in the cayman field.

or, of course swap the tb back and forth for pca races. though man, for track day, DMTD , open days, test days...who wouldnt want max HP vs. constrained to a pca standard on a non-pca race day?

anyone gots some experience here, made those choices themselves? where's the competition at?

to me, seems like GT3R and dualing with the top 3rd of the gtc field.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:11 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are some MONSTER GT3 cars around.

I'd build to the top of GT4 and go have fun...come join us!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:04 PM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

We've been in 3R for years. The class size decreased quite a bit a few years back, but seems to be gaining ground again. There are 11 cars in R/S entered for Rd America in a few weeks, and I suspect that the R/S designation will finally be dropped this year, which may be an artificial way to increase class size, but makes sense with the current tires available.
I'm also aware of 2 high-end 3R cars that will most likely do an East Coast swing next year, which will significantly increase the competition.
In the past 2 years, GT3 has been routinely included with the Cup Cars as we've been 'pushed up' from the middle race group as other classes have expanded, most notably the Cayman spec class. If things continue in this trend, GT4 will be moving to the Cup Car class as well.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Steve:

I support any idea that gets you out of GTB1.

LOL
Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 PM
KMR RSR 001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come and join the fun in 3R As Paul has indicated we have a pretty good field for Road America at the end of the month. It's not too late to enter...
Old 08-10-2013, 08:15 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Steve, consider car count in each class, for the big races, (Glen, Sebring) you will have some 20 cars to run against in GTB.
Charlie
Old 08-10-2013, 09:26 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

ha!! the good and bad of GTB1 is that many of the cars that are in that group come from ITC or Napelton interseries and that spec doesnt optimize the very limits of the series. The couple of World Challenge and other FULLY prepare caymans are going to simply outpace, all driving being the same.
between the ABS , brake package, suspension, etc etc etc. its a pretty wide range of cars. Tiv has some secrets in the braking systems, and on setup. My curent WC car is about 2 seconds faster than the interseries car i had, which was setup pretty good, but we've learned a ton over the last 3 years. Tiv @ Heinlein Racing Development seems to have the Caymans and Cups down pretty solid these days.

i cant see going to GT4 and adding moe weight, 3250 or so is a pig. hard on brakes, hard on tire, hard on motors. its balanced, that car is like a pure 50/50 and perfectly cornered. but, i cant see adding weight.

so its either stay in gtb1 and eeal with flip flop and be a bit up in the class, or add some weight and harrass the gtc4 and gtc3 guys who, you just know, HATE getting dogged or passed by a Cayman!!! when im in my rolex cup, id cring to get passed by cayman.
Originally Posted by Yellow996
Steve:

I support any idea that gets you out of GTB1.

LOL
Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the 3R/S's are pretty fun to race against. I should know. I've been beaten by most of them.

Come to think of it, I've been creamed by some 4R/S guys too.

Quick Reply: Question for PCA Cayman, or GT3R/S , GT3R/S drivers