Sponsored by:

Slip angle camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:22 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Slip angle camera

yesterday during the Sebring broadcast there was a lot of talk about the "slip angle cameras" in use by several teams, mostly because of the lights under the car the cameras need to work at night.

I understand the basic principle of how these things work, but is that really the best way to measure slip angle? or is this just the best solution for that level of minute accuracy (i.e. GPS sensors wouldn't be accurate enough, gyroscopes don't accurately measure slip angle, etc)?

I know there are some pretty smart telemetry folks on here, so I'd like to hear their thoughts/knowledge.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I thought that was very interesting as well.
I liked how Audi was telling the officials that the sparks coming from under the Audi were just flickers from the slip angle camera light until it became really obvious.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 921 Likes on 561 Posts

I didn't see the race, but I'm guessing it's the best way to measure with any accuracy. I know a couple of Indy and Nascar engineers claim that GPS won't give you good data for slip angle. I did find this patent for a slip angle camera system http://www.google.com/patents/US7345749
Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Mmmm, yes, Ford does like them some patents... LOL

Not necessarily a great way to do control, though.

I'm familiar with the systems and have used them a number of times (Corrsys/Datron makes the ones we've used). GPS is a lot easier to drop on a car (as temporary instrumentation), but yeah, not likely to have the accuracy like the optical systems. OK for quick'n'dirty, not for anything real precise, perhaps. I will admit, I haven't benchmarked them against eachother.

Still, I'm surprised they'd be going to the trouble of dragging that weight around, unless they've got fancy new lightweight/compact versions now...

Quick Reply: Slip angle camera