Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F1 on NBC

Old 03-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I absolutely do not miss Bob Varsha. Lee Diffey is so much better in every way - knowledge, perception, professionalism. Even Hobbs seemed better behaved and actually offered inciteful comments. The broadcast was much better than last year.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I absolutely do not miss Bob Varsha. Lee Diffey is so much better in every way - knowledge, perception, professionalism. Even Hobbs seemed better behaved and actually offered inciteful comments. The broadcast was much better than last year.
+1 - For being the 1st broadcast on NBC - I think they did a great job. The F1 Extra show was also good, imo. I think once these guys settle in, the races will get better. I enjoyed the fact that is was a constant belittling of the audience with "F1 lessons", like Varsha's constant DRS lesson or his KERS lesson... Instead there were tidbits at the start with small reminders throughout - but kept up with the race and notes about the teams, etc.

I enjoyed it much more. I am sure they will get even better as the season progresses.

C.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:09 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah, the sound mix-up was rather annoying, but it seemed like they got it sorted before the end of the race. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, that'll be part of the FOM/F1 feed, and so not even NBC's fault.

So far, not turned off or annoyed...
Old 03-18-2013, 02:24 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I miss Buxton walking around the paddocks, with a camera crew and speaking with different drivers, mechanics, and various team members. I hope they incorporate that back into their coverage of the rest of the 2013 season
Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,855 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
+2. My feelings as well.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the picture in picture commercials ala Indy car. Made me actually not fast forward through the ads but don't know why they did it every other break. Pip needs to be bigger however.

Good first race for NBC . Was it me or did the picture and sound seem better than SPEED?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:54 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
I miss Buxton walking around the paddocks, with a camera crew and speaking with different drivers, mechanics, and various team members. I hope they incorporate that back into their coverage of the rest of the 2013 season
I am wondering if they had a tech glitch. They got Buxton on Camera for the F1 Extra show. He had a full coat and mic with a NBC Sports logos...

C.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The pre-race stuff was broadcast but titled "Formula One Pre-Race" instead of "Formula One Racing" as the race, quali and practice shows. Buxton was okay. I still miss Peter Windsor for walking the starting grid. And I'm with you, Larry, in much preferring Lee Diffey to Bob "state the obvious" Varsha.

Pete, I was okay with the PnP too. Mute button instead of FFwd.

And it was an entertaining race!

Rich
Old 03-18-2013, 06:06 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Oh, and I watched 20 minutes of the Sebring coverage before turning if off. It was awful. They've "United" the worst aspects of the old Grand-Am coverage with the worst aspects of the old ALMS coverage. Way to go, Guys. Thanks to NBC for not bringing us that style of coverage for F1.

Rich
Old 03-18-2013, 06:27 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
Is it just me or are there less commercials?
Probably why NBC Sports is not a basic cable channel. You won't get it with the basic package around these parts. Very annoying as Speed channel was a basic cable channel. I called my provider and they informed me that the package that would get me Formula Un (as Borat calls it) would cost me an additional $30 a month. I told them I would bounce to Verizon Fios as the equipment was already set up in my closet from before I moved in - which they easily verified by going on to Fios.com
So then $30 more a month becomes only $8 more. Decided not to push for $0 more since I'm going to bail anyway but wouldn't have had it set up in time for Oz GP.

This is a very stupid strategy by Bernie. You'll never get more people to watch F1 if its on a channel most don't pay up for and can't find on the remote.
And they botched the rebroacast scheduling for practice. DVR'd it came home and it was NY/NJ Redbulls match.

P.S.
This DRS crap is crap. When a Force India car is in the lead overtake that car on your own for crying out loud.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Did anyone actually get to see qualifying?
It was on my recording. I recorded everything from about 1am-5am Sunday that said F1 and it was in there.

I also don't miss Varsha or Peter Windsor. Diffey and Buxton do a great job.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:55 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

No "Pinks" commercials...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F1 on NBC