Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track noob question: why do harnesses expire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgart951
Heck, I've been one of those volunteers. On the one occassion when I noted an obvious safety issue (which affected other cars on-track), it happened to be on a 'big whig's' car and he basically laughed and went on his way.

For my own part, I was initially told that I had to attend the clinic before any DE's because track time with other organizations or regions, regardless of run group, solo status, etc., "didn't count." It's a strange sort of arrogrance - mixed with selective enforcement. You're either in the club or you're not, I guess.

My experience was put to bed by a past president - for whom I have the utmost respect and who is definately the exception to the rule - by stepping in on the clinic issue.

But to tell a driver he can't go out during a DE with harness/HANS equipment which was expired for a month in favor of 17-year old, factory seatbelts? Come on. That red car is a known quantity, as is the driver. Tracked 993's arent all that common, here. Most people bring the latest and greatest GT/RS toy and scrub around on Hoosiers with nary an eye on their rear view mirror.

The difference between Potomac and my previous region is night and day. The former seems to promote an aura of exclusivity while the latter was accomodating, welcoming and helpful in every way.

Specific to the portion you boldfaced, the other organizations which run locally are filled with PCA-certified instructors and even ex-professional drivers who will openly bash the region as soon as they see the car, if it's for the first time.
Originally Posted by Paddy
Again, you're making judgments without even knowing the situation. The car was inspected by a well respected shop and it was missed prior to the event. Again, shame on both of us.
Well, your oversight and that of your mechanic, however innocent, are being used to malign a very well run club and support the opinion of someone with a 911 sized chip on their shoulder.

Last edited by Streak; 03-18-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heck, I've been one of those volunteers. On the one occassion when I noted an obvious safety issue (which affected other cars on-track), it happened to be on a 'big whig's' car and he basically laughed and went on his way.

For my own part, I was initially told that I had to attend the clinic before any DE's because track time with other organizations or regions, regardless of run group, solo status, etc., "didn't count." It's a strange sort of arrogrance - mixed with selective enforcement. You're either in the club or you're not, I guess.My experience was put to bed by a past president - for whom I have the utmost respect and who is definately the exception to the rule - by stepping in on the clinic issue.

Potomac's DE and HPDC rules are clear in both wording and intent. The idea is to have the DE students have a little bit of track type experence so the learning curve for DE day one is a bit less. AutoX, other groups DE or HPDC, pro track school days and the like are all noted as counting. Potomac found that this made the Green group flow a bit better and the new studentes tend to get a better weekend.

You might have been told something by someone but the printed rules say otherwise and other stated track experence counts. No need for a past prez to step in. I have never seen or heard of someone with prior track exp being required to do an HPDC.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 989 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
As a few others have stated... while it's a stupid rule, it's a rule... and I'm sure it's required by the club's insurance to enforce it or face the risk of a lawsuit.

I'll also add that the board of directors for your region are held PERSONALLY LIABLE for the events. So you screw up, die, and someone finds out your belts were expired by a month. Someone (your wife, parents, siblings, whoever) decides to sue the club because you were let out on the track with expired belts, which is against the written rules. The club is found negligent. Who pays? Well once the region's coffers are empty... it's the board of directors of the region who have to cough up the cash.

Remember that the next time you take issues with silly rules. As silly as they may be... they're protecting someone's butt. Might even be the guy at the event standing next to you.
That is not really true. PCA's policy covers officers as well as the region. Not to say you won't be personally sued, but there is coverage. Also, many of the rules are not necissarily in the insurance policy, but adopted becuase of risk management. Any who is a PCA member can look at the region procedures manual, DE guidelines, and more on the pca.org website and get a good idea of what is going on and required.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

The difference between Potomac and my previous region is night and day. The former seems to promote an aura of exclusivity while the latter was accomodating, welcoming and helpful in every way.
Maybe things have changed but I did my first PCA DE with Potomac back in 2000 and had an excellent experience. I have run with them almost every year since and instructed for them a number of times. I have nothing but good things to say about their program.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:55 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Well, your oversight and that of your mechanic, however innocent, are being used to malign a very well run club and support the opinion of someone with a 911 sized chip on their shoulder.
Streak, you're really reaching on multiple levels, here, and all of it is unnecessary.

First, we're discussing related, but separate points. Arbitrarily intertwining them as one and the same or selectively highlighting portions of posts which suit your aim is poor form.

Are they related? Yes; I believe one is a symptom of the other, which is why I cited selective enforcement of safety rules as an example of my opinion.

Subsequently, please don't drag Paddy into your quarrel with me. He has not voiced an opinion on the region; only the safety issues presented by the use of 17-year old seat belts in lieu of recently expired, proper equipment.

Finally, you are more than welcome to disagree with my opinion.

You have. Several times over.

The horse is dead from blunt trauma.

Are we done or should I expect a continuation of the same message written another six different ways?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Interesting that several others (a few Potomac members no less and one whose entire family has been involved as volunteers for years) have also disagreed with your view of the Potomac chapter yet you focus on me.

You dragged Paddy into this by using his post to support your argument that the entire Potomac chapter is run by elitist ******. I'm not selectively doing anything, I'm highlighting your own words. Those will haunt you won't they?

I'll point out again that rather than send Paddy home they found a way for him to run the event without incurring any liability by ignoring a rule. Those ******!

Again, I don't speak for Potomac but if you don't like Potomac then go somewhere else rather than insult a group of dedicated, hard working volunteers who put their time and their talent to work so you can have a nice track weekend.

I'm done now
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

To answer the OP's ?:

...So there is always something around to tow your car with...

The expired belts that pose a safety concern can tow a 3K+ car about without a problem, but lets replace them on set schedule that has nothing to do with reality just becuase.......
Old 03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
That is not really true. PCA's policy covers officers as well as the region. Not to say you won't be personally sued, but there is coverage. Also, many of the rules are not necissarily in the insurance policy, but adopted becuase of risk management. Any who is a PCA member can look at the region procedures manual, DE guidelines, and more on the pca.org website and get a good idea of what is going on and required.
It was explained to me when I vied for an open director spot last year in the Chicago Region that all of our board members were personally liable. If that's not 100% accurate, then I misunderstood. Though regardless, it's still a hassle. $$ and time spent defending yourself in a lawsuit over someone using expired equipment is time and $$$ better spent elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Mister C
I doubt the directors make any money on the events. I appreciate the work they and others do which make track days possible for people like me.
Chicago Region is 100% volunteer. I don't know about other regions but I imagine they are the same. A *lot* of effort goes into putting on these events. Sometimes I wonder about our sanity considering the many many hours of effort we put in.

Again - I agree it's kind of a silly rule. I've made the same argument myself in the past (why are my 27 year old 3pt belts ok, but 1-year-expired 6pt harnesses not?) and was told the two driving factors were (a) insurance and (b) "Why not? Better safe than sorry, they expire belts for a reason."

Good enough for me. You can get FIA rated 6pt camlock belts from G-Force for under $200/set. You don't NEED the $600 set of Schroth or Sparco belts if cost is a concern.

Last edited by User 52121; 03-21-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: track noob question: why do harnesses expire?