Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track noob question: why do harnesses expire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
A couple of comments:
1. The national PCA is really pushing current belts for DE's, it isn't the regions: clubrace12@peachstatepca.org see section 4, paragraph 1, last sentence. So don't knock one specific region, it isn't the region.
2. I am in 100% agreement with the notion that UV light will kill harnesses. However, before PCA started enforcing the current harnes thing, we oculd use old ones. And I did. And those suckers were STIFF. It was pretty difficult to get them pulled down tight. Now that I have new ones, it is MUCH easier to do it. Yeah, they are Schroth versus I think Sparco, but I do think age has a bit to do with it, as I've used a few others in other cars.

Overall, I think it is pretty silly. But, I do think new harnesses are a bit safer because it is easier to adjust them. This is one rule that I think causes a more dangerous situation, and there is another that isn't a rule but is very highly stressed that I believe does the same (though there is a whole lot more controversy with that one).
x2. Some of the links I posted early also discuss UV and moisture absorption as degradation issues.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 824 Posts

FYI, one way to soften up harnesses (regardless of age) that have stiffened up is spray them with a little bit of Febreeze...

Also, yeah, UV will harm them, just as it does with race tires and ESPECIALLY trailer tires. I think the harnesses in this track vehicle are current, however:

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 06-27-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
FYI, one way to soften up harnesses (regardless of age) that have stiffened up is spray them with a little bit of Febreeze...

Also, yeah, UV will harm them, just as it does with race tires and ESPECIALLY trailer tires. I think the harnesses in this track vehicle are current, however:
They see me rollin, they hatin.

I wanted to debut this Friday, now the cats out of the bag!

Harness are $350 for nice ones once every five years. Tires are $1400 a weekend.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 824 Posts

It's a GT1S car, right?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
What the hell does any of that even mean?

It's pretty straight forward. The belts were expired. The driver knew it. I would bet that he got hurty feelings because he didn't get special treatment as a "known quantity." I've always had to have current harnesses and so should everyone else.

What happens when the "known quantity" stuffs his car into the tires in the chute and his widow sues? You can bet that the car will be gone over with a fine tooth comb. See the Carrera GT case from CA for reference. Ambulance chasing attorneys and insurance companies are always looking for a pay day.

15 minutes in the paddock to change the harness. That's all. Suck it up. Why risk future events for everyone else?
I can only recommend that you read it again. A lack of understanding does not automatically constitute a failure to communicate.

We are not in disagreement over the regulations. Given the absence of any comment specific to the comparison in question, I don't think we are in disagreement over the faulty idea that a 17 year old seat belt is somehow safer than an harness and HANS expired for a month.

As for the rest; I think you aptly displayed why many avoid the region's events. The people are wonderful.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. It has been a learning experience.

Originally Posted by J richard
Street car manufacturers test and get approvals on their equipment based on DOT requirements that have no expiration date.

There is no impetus for a race belt mfgr to get a longer lifespan approved, a whole new standard would have to be written...
The statement above nails it.

Originally Posted by 67King
A couple of comments:

... I am in 100% agreement with the notion that UV light will kill harnesses. However, before PCA started enforcing the current harnes thing, we oculd use old ones. And I did. And those suckers were STIFF. It was pretty difficult to get them pulled down tight. Now that I have new ones, it is MUCH easier to do it.
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
With all the money we blow on our cars, the harness every 5 years are the least of my worries (expenses?).

My experience as well. I didn't realize how stiff the old harnesses had become until I put the news ones on. Night and day. It would be worth the money to replace them for this reason alone.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgart951
...As for the rest; I think you aptly displayed why many avoid the region's events. The people are wonderful.
Hate me if you want, but there are plenty of people who enjoy our Region's events. And there aren't too many Regions that take on the annual responsibility of 8 DE's, 1 Club Race/DE, 2 introductory HPDC's, 8 AX events, not to mention Rallies and Drive & Dines. And it takes a tremendous amount of volunteer support and management to pull it all off.

If some find the criteria too rigid, they are always free to go elsewhere. Personally, I prefer leaning towards more structure/safety, versus loosely run events, many of which that have a history of incidents.

Not to mention that PCA events rely on PCA Insurance compliance in order to make events happen with affordable coverage. Unfortunately, there's been enough dumbass incidents successfully litigated against the Club because of poor event oversight. Failing to try and comply with some reasonable expectations puts the entire program in jeapordy. Personally, I would rather meet a few rules and have fun weekends at the track, versus not.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

What the hell does any of that even mean?

It's pretty straight forward. The belts were expired. The driver knew it. I would bet that he got hurty feelings because he didn't get special treatment as a "known quantity." I've always had to have current harnesses and so should everyone else.

What happens when the "known quantity" stuffs his car into the tires in the chute and his widow sues? You can bet that the car will be gone over with a fine tooth comb. See the Carrera GT case from CA for reference. Ambulance chasing attorneys and insurance companies are always looking for a pay day.

15 minutes in the paddock to change the harness. That's all. Suck it up. Why risk future events for everyone else?
Do we even know each other? I didn't get "hurty feelings" and was at Mid-Ohio and their store wasn't open. Moreover, I didn't know my belts had expired. It was an honest mistake and I wasn't trying to cheat any system just stating the ridiculousness of the belt policy.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aj986s
Hate me if you want...
I have no reason to.

I voiced an opinion, it was called into question, I elaborated with examples and was subsequently met with an attitude I would describe as typical for someone who shows up with an with entourage of support personnel and a camera crew to run in the novice group.

You were not that individual and you are just as entitled to an opinion as anyone else.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:10 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

As a few others have stated... while it's a stupid rule, it's a rule... and I'm sure it's required by the club's insurance to enforce it or face the risk of a lawsuit.

I'll also add that the board of directors for your region are held PERSONALLY LIABLE for the events. So you screw up, die, and someone finds out your belts were expired by a month. Someone (your wife, parents, siblings, whoever) decides to sue the club because you were let out on the track with expired belts, which is against the written rules. The club is found negligent. Who pays? Well once the region's coffers are empty... it's the board of directors of the region who have to cough up the cash.

Remember that the next time you take issues with silly rules. As silly as they may be... they're protecting someone's butt. Might even be the guy at the event standing next to you.

I'd say a reasonable solution for you could have been to wear your expired belts and HANS, and then throw the stock 3pt over top.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddy
Do we even know each other? I didn't get "hurty feelings" and was at Mid-Ohio and their store wasn't open. Moreover, I didn't know my belts had expired. It was an honest mistake and I wasn't trying to cheat any system just stating the ridiculousness of the belt policy.
If you had your car properly teched then your mechanic noted on your tech form that the belts were or would expire.

Either way it's still your responsibility to follow the club rules.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Mister C
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
As a few others have stated... while it's a stupid rule, it's a rule... and I'm sure it's required by the club's insurance to enforce it or face the risk of a lawsuit.

I'll also add that the board of directors for your region are held PERSONALLY LIABLE for the events. So you screw up, die, and someone finds out your belts were expired by a month. Someone (your wife, parents, siblings, whoever) decides to sue the club because you were let out on the track with expired belts, which is against the written rules. The club is found negligent. Who pays? Well once the region's coffers are empty... it's the board of directors of the region who have to cough up the cash.

Remember that the next time you take issues with silly rules. As silly as they may be... they're protecting someone's butt. Might even be the guy at the event standing next to you.

I'd say a reasonable solution for you could have been to wear your expired belts and HANS, and then throw the stock 3pt over top.
I didn't know the directors are personally liable. That gives me even more reason to comply. I doubt the directors make any money on the events. I appreciate the work they and others do which make track days possible for people like me.

I am the OP and had chafed a bit at the rule. Not any longer.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuttgart951
I have no reason to.

I voiced an opinion, it was called into question, I elaborated with examples and was subsequently met with an attitude I would describe as typical for someone who shows up with an with entourage of support personnel and a camera crew to run in the novice group.

You were not that individual and you are just as entitled to an opinion as anyone else.
Who has the attitude? You crap all over a volunteer organization, many of those volunteers frequent this board, because they held someone to the rules. Clearly stated rules. You further pillory that chapter by citing nebulous other "race car drivers" as sharing your opinion and I have the attitude?

My response is "follow the rules and quit bitching" but I guess we should all make exceptions at the club's peril for certain special people right?

I expect my 10 year old to try to negotiate every rule with me just as I would expect an adult undertaking a dangerous pastime to follow the rules without question.

At least they found a way to let him run the event rather than send him home.

Seriously, I don't speak for Potomac but I have run with them since 2005 and instruct with them as well. I see the work that goes into the events as they are usually full. Bad form to slam them on the internet when all they asked was for a participant to follow the rules.

But rules are for everyone else right?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Exactly

Originally Posted by aj986s
Hate me if you want, but there are plenty of people who enjoy our Region's events. And there aren't too many Regions that take on the annual responsibility of 8 DE's, 1 Club Race/DE, 2 introductory HPDC's, 8 AX events, not to mention Rallies and Drive & Dines. And it takes a tremendous amount of volunteer support and management to pull it all off.

If some find the criteria too rigid, they are always free to go elsewhere. Personally, I prefer leaning towards more structure/safety, versus loosely run events, many of which that have a history of incidents.

Not to mention that PCA events rely on PCA Insurance compliance in order to make events happen with affordable coverage. Unfortunately, there's been enough dumbass incidents successfully litigated against the Club because of poor event oversight. Failing to try and comply with some reasonable expectations puts the entire program in jeapordy. Personally, I would rather meet a few rules and have fun weekends at the track, versus not.

Support you 100%. For those of us who particiapte in running our PCA DE events, we have only one focus. That would be the safety of all involved. Just follow the rules. Not that hard.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If you had your car properly teched then your mechanic noted on your tech form that the belts were or would expire.

Either way it's still your responsibility to follow the club rules.
Again, you're making judgments without even knowing the situation. The car was inspected by a well respected shop and it was missed prior to the event. Again, shame on both of us.

Quick Reply: track noob question: why do harnesses expire?