Where do you mount your GoPro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Nice line through T5.

I'd get seasick watching too much of the "Skeen view", though!
Thanks, just went solo (that was my 2nd session I believe) so I'm trying to work out the fastest line since it isn't always the DE line . Understandable about wheat swaying, I need to invest in better seats/harness to keep me upright.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:48 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RSAErick
Hopefully not to hijack this thread, but to complement it...

In addition to suggestions for great video, I would also be interested to hear some suggestions for how to get great audio from a GoPro. From my experience, wind noise interferes with the lovely sound of engine/exhaust.

Thanks.
How's this:

The camera is not a Gopro, but the theory is the same. The trick is a microphone mounted to the rear license plate frame. As long as your camera has an external microphone input, this should work. One thing I've been meaning to add is a second channel for the instructor chat, you don't get any interior sound with this setup.

I did a long write up about it here: DIY Economical Track Camera With Good Sound

One warning, you will get wind noise if you are going backwards at high speed:
Hey, I got a "its good" goal sign from the T3 flag station for keeping it on the track

-Mike
Old 03-12-2013, 04:25 PM
dacbap
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSAErick
Hopefully not to hijack this thread, but to complement it...

In addition to suggestions for great video, I would also be interested to hear some suggestions for how to get great audio from a GoPro. From my experience, wind noise interferes with the lovely sound of engine/exhaust.

Thanks.
Hero 2 (not sure about 3's) have an external microphone plug, try the Olympus ME-51S Stereo Microphone, along with Cables To Go CTG 12ft 3.5MM STEREO AUDIO EXTENSION CABLE M/F off Amazon, (recommended stereo microphone) you will have to drill the plastic case to plug in, run the wire to the engine bay or rear license plate for the exhaust sounds, better than all the wind noise.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Just behind front left tire

Just behind driver's door

I tried several locations. The above two are my favorite.

Audio Technica external mic, mounted near the exhaust. Still picks up some wind noise from time to time, but that's because I probably didn't fully secure it to the body as well as I'd have liked.

Quick Reply: Where do you mount your GoPro?