Sponsored by:

Where do you mount your GoPro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:32 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where do you mount your GoPro?

I got a Go Pro 2 for Christmas, and this weekend was the first time I have used it in the track car. I'm sure it's user error, but my videos are disappointing.

I have it mounted to the top roll cage bar that's behind the seats, in the middle, and most of my picture seems to be of me and the instructor's helmets. I can see the track directly ahead, but the cars are tiny. I can't see anything to the sides because of the helmets.

I do like being able to see my hands on the wheel and the shifter, but I would like to see more of the track too.

Should I try mounting it on the diagonal instead? Change the lens view options? Or should I just suction mount it to the inside windshield?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,144 Likes on 1,825 Posts

IMO, the greatest value of the GoPro is seeing your inputs and the car's response.

I would first narrow the FOV to 127 degrees, mount it higher and slightly to the right of center. You want to see the front corners of the car in relation to the edge of the road.

I have found that even if it looks like the height of camera looks as if the rear view mirror will be in the way, that is about right!

Of course, you can move it around and capture a variety of viewing angles, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 03-11-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 820 Posts

^^ agreed^^

So you can see out the windshield, some of the hood, and of course what the drover is doing
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

For exciting track videos, suction-cup it to the roof or top of the windshield.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:07 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

I think if I didn't have an Instructor, I could move it slightly to the right of center and get a better view. Once I get to a better computer, I'll post a short clip, so y'all can see what I'm talking about.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a traqdash complete with two GoPro 2's with all the integration to get the video on one feed (we'll see how it works).

I was thinking one camera on the roll bar in the center of the car looking forward and then then other go pro either on the A pillar on the passenger side recording me or setting it up to record behind me. From Dave and Peter's posts, looks like I'll set it up to record the drover.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there's no instructor and your region lets you have the right window up, this is an angle that I've found helpful. In the attached image, you can tell that I'm about to miss the apex by 2'.

The suction cup is stuck about mid-way up the trailing edge of a 944 passenger window here. Depending on your dash colour, you may have to angle it up a little so as not to expose for the cockpit (and therefore overexpose the track).
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2013, 02:08 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

On my roll bar positioned to show the road ahead, the road behind and me.

Rich
Old 03-11-2013, 03:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
I just got a traqdash complete with two GoPro 2's with all the integration to get the video on one feed (we'll see how it works).

I was thinking one camera on the roll bar in the center of the car looking forward and then then other go pro either on the A pillar on the passenger side recording me or setting it up to record behind me. From Dave and Peter's posts, looks like I'll set it up to record the drover.
Just so you understand, you will be able to see one camera feed in the TraqStudio window at a time.

To get both, you will need to render the two camera files into one picture-in-picture movie separately, before selecting that one to associate with the data file within TraqStudio.

Not too hard, but another step, and usually one I only do when I am burning a lap or a race to upload to YouTube or to save on my HDD.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pontifex4
If there's no instructor and your region lets you have the right window up, this is an angle that I've found helpful. In the attached image, you can tell that I'm about to miss the apex by 2'.

The suction cup is stuck about mid-way up the trailing edge of a 944 passenger window here. Depending on your dash colour, you may have to angle it up a little so as not to expose for the cockpit (and therefore overexpose the track).
Nice, but would love to see YOU!

Originally Posted by rlets
On my roll bar positioned to show the road ahead, the road behind and me.

Rich
Perfect, but could be even be mounted higher to get more of the road closer to the front of the car.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:27 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Peter, I have a GoPro 3 White (two of them actually), and I'm getting the "dryer effect" at high speed. Is there a fix for that?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Can you send a link to some footage?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Just so you understand, you will be able to see one camera feed in the TraqStudio window at a time.

To get both, you will need to render the two camera files into one picture-in-picture movie separately, before selecting that one to associate with the data file within TraqStudio.

Not too hard, but another step, and usually one I only do when I am burning a lap or a race to upload to YouTube or to save on my HDD.
Well that sucks. I thought it was too good to be true. I'm going to install it this weekend and mess around with it.

What's the point of having both camera feeds go into the traqmate then?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I mounted mine on the rear window on my 911 to get car/track/my steering inputs. have since ordered a better mounting bracket to get a camera inside the car to get shifting/footwork too.

I agree that it needs to be a mix of what you're doing and what the car is doing to use it as a good driver development tool.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
911blair (10-19-2020)
Old 03-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 820 Posts

Mine is mounted to my roll cage.

Quick Reply: Where do you mount your GoPro?