Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Signed up for my fIrst DE

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013 | 09:58 PM
tedfromohio
Instructor

Default Signed up for my fIrst DE

Signed up for my first DE today, not sure what to expect. It is in April at Mid-Ohio. Haven't received any instructions yet but have lots of questions,like what do I need to wear? Do I need special insurance for my car? Do I need to bring extra fuel or is fuel available there? Do most people drive their cars to the track or trailer them? Probably a lot of things I don't even know to ask - so any advice would be appreciated.

Ted
Old 03-07-2013 | 12:43 AM
Upstate101
Instructor

Ted,
I am providing a link to our region's DE guide. I'm sure you region has something similar - check out their web site.
http://www.cr-pca.org/Driving/CAR_DEGuide1_0.pdf
Lockton offers HPDE insurance - you can sign up on-line, very easy to deal with, reasonable rates.
I think most people start by driving their car to the track. Once you become hopelessly addicted and start selling blood for tire and mod money, you might look into a trailer, as by that point your car will have morphed into a dedicated track car, or you will have obtained a dedicated track car to spare your nice 911 cabrio.
As far as what to wear, long sleeves and all cotton/natural fiber garments as they won't melt to your skin in the unlikely event of a fire. A racing suit is fine, too, but you probably don't have one and won't need one anytime soon.
I've never been to mid-Ohio, but most tracks sell fuel on-site. It is generally more expensive than you can find at a gas station near the track.
The DE guide will answer most if not all of your questions. Have a great time!
Old 03-07-2013 | 09:56 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Buy your gas in town. I'll be there as an instructor. Main things are to make sure your pads have plenty of life, brake fluid is "fresh" and tires are in good shape. Start hydrating a couple days before. While it probably won't be hot, you will be very tired by the end of the day.

You'll have a blast and then probably be hooked. Be forewarned, you are about to start down a very slippery slope.

Look me up if you get a chance. I'll be there with a black enclosed trailer probably parked in the middle paddock.
Old 03-07-2013 | 10:32 AM
dacbap
Instructor

Originally Posted by tedfromohio
Signed up for my first DE today, not sure what to expect. It is in April at Mid-Ohio. Haven't received any instructions yet but have lots of questions,like what do I need to wear? Do I need special insurance for my car? Do I need to bring extra fuel or is fuel available there? Do most people drive their cars to the track or trailer them? Probably a lot of things I don't even know to ask - so any advice would be appreciated.

Ted
Would recommend changing brake fliud to Castrol SRF, I remember my first DE, on the brakes more than you need to be and the brakes got mushy, just enjoy the day! Great looking pooch! I wish mine would fit in my car
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2013 | 10:32 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

1. shoes with narrow soles, jeans and a long sleave shirt. And appropriate gear to stand outside all day in ohio's legendary weather.

2. Insurance is available via the pca promoted insurer, generally. Look at the registration page. The decision to purchase is a personal thing. YMMV.

3 arrive with the tank entirely full. You ought not need additional gas.

4 novices arrive by car. Down the slope, many get trailers, arrive with extra wheels, and have no bank accounts.

Your region has a downloadable handbook/FAQ to answer most all your questions. Check out the morpca pages--they must have copious information about DE and mid o specifically.
Old 03-07-2013 | 10:39 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

and don't forget to buy your instructor beer!
Old 03-07-2013 | 10:54 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Default DE

You'll need to empty your frunk to the space just adjacent to your paddock parking space. I have a tarp because I am in the pacific NW. Under the tarp I put my stuff which is in a bin. Things like extra oil, windshield cleaner, microfiber towels, tire pressure gage,foldable lawn or camping chair. Snacks, sunscreen. Water should be readily available. If it is sunny or rainy I hang with people who brought a overhead shade. Your instructor will tell you the things to do in between. Take notes on your track map and review track layout before. Have fun. Bring a helmet or reserve one to rent at the track.
Old 03-07-2013 | 11:57 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mhm993
and have no bank accounts
Not true - I have bank accounts - its just that they are empty.
Old 03-07-2013 | 12:31 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Talk about a slippery slope, Did my first DE 5 years ago. Now club racing and on my second race car build. more like base jumping
Old 03-07-2013 | 12:49 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

This video holds your first lesson. Be sure to bring a similar attitude and everything will go just fine.

Old 03-07-2013 | 01:18 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Name:  Slippery Slope.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  8.0 KB
Old 03-07-2013 | 02:26 PM
tedfromohio
Instructor

The video was awesome- I learned a lot - thanks!

I have another car that I am taking to the DE and I have a trailer - haven't used either much yet. Will probably drive the car unless I decide to camp. I do appreciate the advice and expect they wil send me a packet with info as we get closer to the date but your advice is very helpful. Please dont stop and I promise not to emulate the guy in the video.

Will I need to have numbers on my car? That hadn't occurred to me!

I am planning on bringing the 930 as it is already sort of set up for this kind of thing. Pictures at:

http://s1105.beta.photobucket.com/us.../Porsche%20930

Thanks again,

Ted
Old 03-07-2013 | 03:27 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Cool car.
You won't win anything doing DE's but you can lose a lot. Listen to your instructor and you'll have a blast.
Old 03-07-2013 | 06:15 PM
MrMan
Intermediate

I did my first DE last March and no one sent me a packet - I showed up with no helmet not knowing that I needed to put numbers on the car, and that those needed to be approved beforehand.

And you will probably need to get the car pre-inspected by a local shop unless you are enough of a mechanic to vouch for it yourself.
Old 03-07-2013 | 06:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Get some white sneaker polish and write the number in your rear quarter windows, that usually suffices.

Quick Reply: Signed up for my fIrst DE