Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yay or Nay on upgrading to 2-car hauler?

Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Is that a 906 on the top of that stacker?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
The 22' Progressive stacker I picked up way back when has worked fine for one ~3000 lb. car + one sports racer (Radical or 910). Not quite full double height, as it was built for some guys who had two Radicals. Always pulled it with my '03 F-350 SRW, not really any problems up and down I-5 to Thunderhill or Buttonwillow. (Laguna and Sears aren't really even a trip to the track.) Downside is welcome to ~8 mpg.

Other thing I thought of, was a guy who used to club race out here but was from the Midwest. (Going back 10+ years, think it was Gary Boss.) Had a GT4R car, and then another semi-lightweight racer his wife or daughter used. That was a conventional ~26' TAG, but it had a ramp that pivoted the back of the front car up so that the second car's nose sat underneath. Seemed like a good way to keep it under 10K GVWR, and all the issues exceeding that involve.
That stacker is very cool. I wonder if something like that could work. I would imagine I would need something a little taller as the Atom is actually close in height to the Boxster. That trailer is only 22 feet????
Originally Posted by JohnPG
Dave have you seen Dave & Sarah's rig? They run a Sierra 3500 crew cab and a goose. Works great I think you can spec a goose to work with a short bed. Dave claims it works great. I'm sure the guys at Atlantic can help out.

Cheers J
Thanks John. Already been texting with Dave! They have a dually short bed and a 40 ft trailer.
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Dave,

Goosenecks are designed to be towed by a long box truck. They'll tow better that way too. Crew cab even better (wheelbase). Don't buy a fifth wheel. 90% are goose.

What has been mentioned about popping the rear window with a shortbox is true. Damaged pillar also a possibility.

What is your truck? Big goose? Get a 1 ton. Dually tows better and doesn't chew rear tires but isn't an absolute necessity.

If you are towing long distances w/2 cars you are nuts not to have a goose carry both.

I've been selling them for almost 20 years.

If you know Dave and Kristin K I sold them their living quarters trailer. She does most of the driving.
My truck is I believe the crew cab 2500 with the 6'4" bed SRW. It is not equipped with a gooseneck hitch at this time. There's no way I can upgrade trucks in the near future.
I know Dave & Kristin - they are a great couple. I like their trailer set up.

I guess I'm concerned with 1) safely towing a long trailer with my existing truck and 2) whether or not I'll be able to park it where I'm thinking about keeping it. Maybe I should borrow someone's bumper pull and drive it to my planned storage area to see if it fits!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
It's just too impractical for me right now. Perhaps one day.
Couldn't resist. This from a guy looking for a trailer that will transport 2 race cars at a time. Gotta love the logic.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That stacker is very cool. I wonder if something like that could work. I would imagine I would need something a little taller as the Atom is actually close in height to the Boxster. That trailer is only 22 feet???
Yes, 22' box. My old enclosed trailer from the '90s was also 22', so it's the length I got used to. Built by Progressive out of Phoenix, it's heavy at ~8100 lbs. empty. No doubt there are several manufacturers in your area who can build similar. The lift is by Stinger, and there's full cabinets/bench up front. This one was built either 6" or 12" short, as it was custom spec'd to be a two Radical hauler. I'd give you some measurements, but it's up at my cousin's keeping a couple of 910s and a 907 company........

Shoot me an email if you (or anyone) want more pictures. Have a few from when it was up for sale, but they're all larger than what can be posted here and I'm not really interested in fiddling with file size right now.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Is that a 906 on the top of that stacker?
910. See my cousin's website below.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnPG
Dave have you seen Dave & Sarah's rig? They run a Sierra 3500 crew cab and a goose. Works great I think you can spec a goose to work with a short bed. Dave claims it works great. I'm sure the guys at Atlantic can help out.

Cheers J
had short bed
taper the GN nose, 16" extender, i can go full lock and drive in circle without crushing the cab. i can turn more than a regular GN on long bed.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Couldn't resist. This from a guy looking for a trailer that will transport 2 race cars at a time. Gotta love the logic.
You've got a point.
Originally Posted by race911
Yes, 22' box. My old enclosed trailer from the '90s was also 22', so it's the length I got used to. Built by Progressive out of Phoenix, it's heavy at ~8100 lbs. empty. No doubt there are several manufacturers in your area who can build similar. The lift is by Stinger, and there's full cabinets/bench up front. This one was built either 6" or 12" short, as it was custom spec'd to be a two Radical hauler. I'd give you some measurements, but it's up at my cousin's keeping a couple of 910s and a 907 company........

Shoot me an email if you (or anyone) want more pictures. Have a few from when it was up for sale, but they're all larger than what can be posted here and I'm not really interested in fiddling with file size right now.
Thanks. I'm slowly digesting all of this!!!!
Originally Posted by mooty
had short bed
taper the GN nose, 16" extender, i can go full lock and drive in circle without crushing the cab. i can turn more than a regular GN on long bed.
Interesting solution.
I think when I bring the current trailer in for a servicing soon, I'll ask Atlantic Coast what they think of all of the options you guys have given me!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
If you know Dave and Kristin K I sold them their living quarters trailer. She does most of the driving.
I love that trailer!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,797 Likes on 1,652 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...item4ac211fea2

I think a SRW 2500 or 3500 might pull this. Joe Hooker is an owner of CMP and a good guy.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...item4ac211fea2

I think a SRW 2500 or 3500 might pull this. Joe Hooker is an owner of CMP and a good guy.
Thanks Peter. I'm sure 28 feet of floor would hold our cars.

When comparing a gooseneck with a bumper pull, roughly how many feet overhang the bed of the truck? 3 feet? I'm trying to compare the length of what I tow now on the bumper (21') to a 36' gooseneck.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks Peter. I'm sure 28 feet of floor would hold our cars.

When comparing a gooseneck with a bumper pull, roughly how many feet overhang the bed of the truck? 3 feet? I'm trying to compare the length of what I tow now on the bumper (21') to a 36' gooseneck.
8'
Old 03-06-2013, 02:01 AM
DarrellT
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 44' ATC goose neck that I pull with a 3500 single rear wheel chevy crew cab with a standard bed. I have to use an extender and a B&W offset ball, but it works great. Aluminum is the way to go. That eBay referral looks good. I have a 944 Turbo and a 03 Cup that go most of the time. I also go with friends on longer race trips and we split the costs. Good space for all the stuff. I would rather have a long bed, but no room. The short bed works fine. If I had a tapered nose it would be even better.

Do the goose neck - you can pull it with your Dodge.

Darrell

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yay or Nay on upgrading to 2-car hauler?