Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yay or Nay on upgrading to 2-car hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

With the tailgate down it would work!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm going down the thought path for the same reason. For two full size cars. No question my Gen4 Dodge 2500 Long Bed has the grunt - 800 pounds of torque. Don't have an issue with switching to a gooseneck or fifth wheel - might be the smarter route, but like Coochas I don't have a Dually. I can park the long dodge in manhattan (believe it or not) in the garage of my building.. But a dually just won't fit and I don't really feel like replacing the truck bought new..

Wondering how towing W/O a dually with that kind of mass or length. Getting away with it isn't what I am looking for.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I'm going down the thought path for the same reason. For two full size cars. No question my Gen4 Dodge 2500 Long Bed has the grunt - 800 pounds of torque. Don't have an issue with switching to a gooseneck or fifth wheel - might be the smarter route, but like Coochas I don't have a Dually. I can park the long dodge in manhattan (believe it or not) in the garage of my building.. But a dually just won't fit and I don't really feel like replacing the truck bought new..

Wondering how towing W/O a dually with that kind of mass or length. Getting away with it isn't what I am looking for.
Same here! I usually commute in my truck which includes a few parking garages. No way with a dually where I park.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't like the thought of a relatively large GN without a dually beneath it.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

If your definitely staying with the Atom as the 2nd track car then think compact. I have plenty of buddies with doubles versus a larger single trailer and it is a big commitment. I think you could use a 26ft and some creative loading to fit both cars. Your going to be heavy either way so towing is looking towards dually, but a light trailer may do it. Last option is go real light and tow the Atom with a second vehicle such an BMW X5 for your wife to use when not at the track. The X5 will get good mileage even towing the Atom versus the typical 8 to 11 mpg of a heavy enclosed tow.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
Dave,

If your definitely staying with the Atom as the 2nd track car then think compact. I have plenty of buddies with doubles versus a larger single trailer and it is a big commitment. I think you could use a 26ft and some creative loading to fit both cars. Your going to be heavy either way so towing is looking towards dually, but a light trailer may do it. Last option is go real light and tow the Atom with a second vehicle such an BMW X5 for your wife to use when not at the track. The X5 will get good mileage even towing the Atom versus the typical 8 to 11 mpg of a heavy enclosed tow.
OMG, I hadn't even thought of the scenario of a 2nd small trailer to put behind an SUV. Hmmmm.
Problem is Irene likes to drive the cars, but she DON'T TOW! We enjoy our road trips together despite my prolific gas.
Still, I think I'm gonna propose this. Nice thinking Bob.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

I had a similar dynamic. My wife started driving and she was quite good (promoted to instructor). We ran two cars for a bit. A lot of work for me. I made her help out. Pretty funny watching her mount 13inch wide 315's on my 993 race car. ( I taught her to sit on a mat and use her feet to lift the wheel into place). At a 110 lbs torquing wheels was a problem, but we added an extension bar to the torque wrench. I now have pictures of her torquing heads studs and installing rocker arms on an engine build. (not bad for a Ann Taylor girl).

The reason I am telling you this is if she wants to enjoy spoils then she needs to dig some ditches also. Pitching in will make her much more involved with activity and ultimately more accomplished. Towing a small trailer would be no big deal and if you are ever tired on a return trip she could learn to share the tow when you only bring one car.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

With the power in the new Boxster, I think you should flat-tow the Atom. Then you can sell the truck and trailer!

I didn't see much mention here about stacker trailers. While taller, it would be about the same footprint of the trailer you have now, making it easier to store and tow without a dually.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Dave, you always have something going on - good for you.
From my time on the truck forums, I think you are looking at a dually and 5th wheel. The 5th wheel guys swear by that arrangement; much more stable towing. Not sure what you would do with the extra room in the trailer, but you could make it into great storage.
No way on 2 tow vehicles; you'll want the lovely Irene by your side. She may feel differently, depending upon your diet (but that's why electric windows were invented).
I doubt a bigger rig will save you money.
Simplify, my friend.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:19 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the mega cab which means short box. If you go the gooseneck route, make sure you get the right configuration on the front of the trailer. I've seen more than one short box truck with the rear window shattered when they tried to make a tight corner.

You'd likely be pulling less weight with the two cars you've mentioned so a SRW Diesel would probably be okay and the goosenecks are a dream to pull.

With the shorter length of the Atom, you could get by with a 30'-32' bumper pull (12' for the Atom and 15' for the Boxter) but wouldn't leave much floor space for anything else. I have removable full width shelves for most everything else I bring along. 32' is a long tag trailer though.....
Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, what Brent says about shattering the back window and maybe the cab is a really BIG concern with Gooses and short beds. A Goose will tow way better than a tag. ( I was talking to a Racer's Edge driver/mechanic this wknd who make these exact comments)
I'm not sure they make tags long enough to comfortably fit 2 cars and gear, but I'm sure I would not want to haul it far or often.

Consider a long bed dully. Once you have towed with a dully you will wonder why you waited so long. The confidence they give you when you pass or are passed by 18 wheelers is worth their weight. They are shout, solid, with amazing brakes.

Good luck. Fun dilemma to have. Enjoy the ride.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The 22' Progressive stacker I picked up way back when has worked fine for one ~3000 lb. car + one sports racer (Radical or 910). Not quite full double height, as it was built for some guys who had two Radicals. Always pulled it with my '03 F-350 SRW, not really any problems up and down I-5 to Thunderhill or Buttonwillow. (Laguna and Sears aren't really even a trip to the track.) Downside is welcome to ~8 mpg.

Other thing I thought of, was a guy who used to club race out here but was from the Midwest. (Going back 10+ years, think it was Gary Boss.) Had a GT4R car, and then another semi-lightweight racer his wife or daughter used. That was a conventional ~26' TAG, but it had a ramp that pivoted the back of the front car up so that the second car's nose sat underneath. Seemed like a good way to keep it under 10K GVWR, and all the issues exceeding that involve.
Attached Images   
Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave have you seen Dave & Sarah's rig? They run a Sierra 3500 crew cab and a goose. Works great I think you can spec a goose to work with a short bed. Dave claims it works great. I'm sure the guys at Atlantic can help out.

Cheers J
Old 03-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Dave,

Goosenecks are designed to be towed by a long box truck. They'll tow better that way too. Crew cab even better (wheelbase). Don't buy a fifth wheel. 90% are goose.

What has been mentioned about popping the rear window with a shortbox is true. Damaged pillar also a possibility.

What is your truck? Big goose? Get a 1 ton. Dually tows better and doesn't chew rear tires but isn't an absolute necessity.

If you are towing long distances w/2 cars you are nuts not to have a goose carry both.

I've been selling them for almost 20 years.

If you know Dave and Kristin K I sold them their living quarters trailer. She does most of the driving.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
Dave,

I had a similar dynamic. My wife started driving and she was quite good (promoted to instructor). We ran two cars for a bit. A lot of work for me. I made her help out. Pretty funny watching her mount 13inch wide 315's on my 993 race car. ( I taught her to sit on a mat and use her feet to lift the wheel into place). At a 110 lbs torquing wheels was a problem, but we added an extension bar to the torque wrench. I now have pictures of her torquing heads studs and installing rocker arms on an engine build. (not bad for a Ann Taylor girl).

The reason I am telling you this is if she wants to enjoy spoils then she needs to dig some ditches also. Pitching in will make her much more involved with activity and ultimately more accomplished. Towing a small trailer would be no big deal and if you are ever tired on a return trip she could learn to share the tow when you only bring one car.
She's actually eager to learn basic maintenance and always helps me load the trailer. She's always been a little funny about learning to drive the trailer but NOW she says she would be comfortable pulling a "small" one. First step taken.
Originally Posted by Van
With the power in the new Boxster, I think you should flat-tow the Atom. Then you can sell the truck and trailer!

I didn't see much mention here about stacker trailers. While taller, it would be about the same footprint of the trailer you have now, making it easier to store and tow without a dually.
The Boxster power is ONLY 300 - LOL.
Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Dave, you always have something going on - good for you.
From my time on the truck forums, I think you are looking at a dually and 5th wheel. The 5th wheel guys swear by that arrangement; much more stable towing. Not sure what you would do with the extra room in the trailer, but you could make it into great storage.
No way on 2 tow vehicles; you'll want the lovely Irene by your side. She may feel differently, depending upon your diet (but that's why electric windows were invented).
I doubt a bigger rig will save you money.
Simplify, my friend.
Hi Rick. Good advice no doubt.
The savings that I'll get will be not paying for storage fees on one of the cars. These vary from 250-450/month depending where I keep the Atom. It wouldn't take long to pay off.
Originally Posted by f1rocks
You have the mega cab which means short box. If you go the gooseneck route, make sure you get the right configuration on the front of the trailer. I've seen more than one short box truck with the rear window shattered when they tried to make a tight corner.

You'd likely be pulling less weight with the two cars you've mentioned so a SRW Diesel would probably be okay and the goosenecks are a dream to pull.

With the shorter length of the Atom, you could get by with a 30'-32' bumper pull (12' for the Atom and 15' for the Boxter) but wouldn't leave much floor space for anything else. I have removable full width shelves for most everything else I bring along. 32' is a long tag trailer though.....
I agree. 40 is even longer!
Originally Posted by paradisenb
Dave, what Brent says about shattering the back window and maybe the cab is a really BIG concern with Gooses and short beds. A Goose will tow way better than a tag. ( I was talking to a Racer's Edge driver/mechanic this wknd who make these exact comments)
I'm not sure they make tags long enough to comfortably fit 2 cars and gear, but I'm sure I would not want to haul it far or often.

Consider a long bed dully. Once you have towed with a dully you will wonder why you waited so long. The confidence they give you when you pass or are passed by 18 wheelers is worth their weight. They are shout, solid, with amazing brakes.

Good luck. Fun dilemma to have. Enjoy the ride.
You're right that it's a fun dilemma. No way I want to upgrade to a dually. It's just too impractical for me right now. Perhaps one day.

Quick Reply: Yay or Nay on upgrading to 2-car hauler?