Left Foot

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Karen England
Where/how do you 'rest' it?
Generally at the very end of my left leg.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:04 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
LFB'g is an important technique and should be learned.
I think "important" and "should" are too strong of words here. Especially for people that are driving cars without dog boxes, sequential boxes, or automatic boxes.

Left foot braking is an advanced technique. The student is much better off learning to heel and toe and double clutch than they are left foot braking. Even once those techniques have been mastered, how important is left foot braking?

I am sure there are plenty of racers from the Sports Car era that had traditional manual transmissions that never left foot braked. Heck, there are successful racers out there right now that don't left foot brake.

Scott

Last edited by winders; 03-03-2013 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Dan:

You could always stick it up Benz's a@@.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:59 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
dead pedal?

or up some idiot's ***.

Originally Posted by dacbap
I usually hang mine outside the driver's window
Originally Posted by danielyonker
What should I do with my right foot?
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Originally Posted by Yellow996
Dan:

Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Child
Do you have a street car with an automatic? If so switch to LFB and you'll quickly develop a feel for it. I learned to LFB in my F150 tow vehicle.
Nope, 944S2
Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
+1000

LFB is a bit more difficult with modern cars where heavy braking also cuts fuel but I'm learning that if your smooth, it still works.
Yes, it is not too difficult......
Originally Posted by e9stibi
LFB was easier than I thought. key for me is that I rest the left foot consistently on the dead pedal before I move it to the brake pedal and than straight back when done. now LFB is like using the clutch.
+1
Originally Posted by danielyonker
What should I do with my right foot?
You don't like to win?

Originally Posted by winders
I think "important" and "should" are too strong of words here. Especially for people that are driving cars without dog boxes, sequential boxes, or automatic boxes.

Left foot braking is an advanced technique. The student is much better off learning to heel and toe and double clutch than they are left foot braking. Even once those techniques have been mastered, how important is left foot braking?

I am sure there are plenty of racers from the Sports Car era that had traditional manual transmissions that never left foot braked. Heck, there are successful racers out there right now that don't left foot brake.

Scott
+997
Originally Posted by Yellow996
Dan:

Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by winders

Scott
I agree.
What is the use of left-foot braking on a 997 GT3 for example? As soon as you hit the brakes the engine is cut off anyway if you keep the accelerator pressed.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I agree.
What is the use of left-foot braking on a 997 GT3 for example? As soon as you hit the brakes the engine is cut off anyway if you keep the accelerator pressed.
Not totally true. You have around 2/3 to 3/4 of a second until the ignition cuts out. So LFB works quite well up to this point...and is useful after this point as well if you simply need to brake w/o downshifting. I will LFB in GT3's all the time where appropriate.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As VR explains it is still very adaptable to the modern car. This is one of those I never learned it so it is not required responses. It is a tool and it promotes better car balance/pedal reaction time. I constantly compare data with drivers not yet doing it to show pedal transition lags and brake pressure ramps being slower in areas that time can be gained. The OP posted a broad subject matter and I feel this is still an important technique to add to your driving/ race craft. Scott, I think if you do a fact check you will find a lot more pro racers use it than you think.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:46 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Not totally true. You have around 2/3 to 3/4 of a second until the ignition cuts out. So LFB works quite well up to this point...and is useful after this point as well if you simply need to brake w/o downshifting. I will LFB in GT3's all the time where appropriate.
Ok let me put it differently:
what is there to be won left-foot braking that can't be done with the right foot if you just want to brake without downshifting?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:48 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

And let me add: in a Porsche car. I know it can be useful in FWD cars.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Ok let me put it differently:
what is there to be won left-foot braking that can't be done with the right foot if you just want to brake without downshifting?
Quite a bit, actually: quicker gas-brake-gas transitions, easier to subtly adjust attitude of car in a corner w/o losing momentum or positive throttle, etc etc etc
Old 03-03-2013, 11:53 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Quite a bit, actually: quicker gas-brake-gas transitions, easier to subtly adjust attitude of car in a corner w/o losing momentum or positive throttle, etc etc etc
That last one seems quite tricky if you have to take into account that the ignition can be cut off if you do it for a bit too long.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I respect your opinion, but I have found that in reality with a bit of practice on egas cars, it works fine.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:07 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by nshanny
You should not have to brace yourself if you are using a harness system.
Quite true with proper seats and a harness but in my car with adaptives, pushing on the dead pedal during hard cornering keeps my body in place. All the while, my upper body and arms stay relaxed. Dave
Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

That last one seems quite tricky if you have to take into account that the ignition can be cut off if you do it for a bit too long.
Other what was explained above by Bob and VR, you would fully understand the merits as a passenger in Bob's car. As I stated earlier, it even works for an idiot like me in a modern car if you're very smooth about it.

Quick Reply: Left Foot