Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by peterbigblock
I'm not much of a NASCAR fan -- it simply doesn't entertain me; not making a judgment against it, just saying I find myself not entertained. I haven't followed Patrick's career very closely, but it does seem to me that much of the attention focused on her seems to be due to her being cute and female and not much due to her level of success. She's been mediocre, really, in almost all the series she's raced in. A non-cute-female driver would be noticed, of course, for taking the pole at Daytona, but then would be relegated to the back bench for what she's done both before and after.

As such, she seems more a marketing creation than anything else. Of course she's a better driver than we are. That's really moot. She gets the level of attention of someone who has been consistently successful, and she has certainly not done that. In that regard, I find her equally boring. A curiosity, to be sure, but nothing lasting to hold my interest. (I don't find her particularly attractive, but that's me.)

The fact that she competed with so few females for her "place" in the sport is sort of a double-edged argument. Sure, it means she had few role models. But, in terms of providing Brand X Race Series with a pert female driver who wasn't ridiculous, she had almost no competition. Certainly not from the "millions of guys" who all want to drive race cars.

So, really, she is the equivalent of so many of today's female pop-music stars. They are the best singers (with a lot of help from Autotune) among the hotties qualified for the job in the first place. If Danica were a guy, she'd likely still be racing because she obviously has enough skill to hang with the average drivers over the course of time. But she wouldn't be anything more than that and no one would pay much attention to her. Good for her, obviously, but does nothing for me.

In interviews, she's prickly and unfriendly, aloof even. If she were a guy, she'd be a jerk. But since she's not she gets a pass here, too.
You just earned the wrath of the RL Professional Drover's Critics and Coaching Club.
You are 100% right, but that is irrelevant.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:29 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not much of a NASCAR fan -- it simply doesn't entertain me; not making a judgment against it, just saying I find myself not entertained. I haven't followed Patrick's career very closely, but it does seem to me that much of the attention focused on her seems to be due to her being cute and female and not much due to her level of success. She's been mediocre, really, in almost all the series she's raced in. A non-cute-female driver would be noticed, of course, for taking the pole at Daytona, but then would be relegated to the back bench for what she's done both before and after.

As such, she seems more a marketing creation than anything else. Of course she's a better driver than we are. That's really moot. She gets the level of attention of someone who has been consistently successful, and she has certainly not done that. In that regard, I find her equally boring. A curiosity, to be sure, but nothing lasting to hold my interest. (I don't find her particularly attractive, but that's me.)

The fact that she competed with so few females for her "place" in the sport is sort of a double-edged argument. Sure, it means she had few role models. But, in terms of providing Brand X Race Series with a pert female driver who wasn't ridiculous, she had almost no competition. Certainly not from the "millions of guys" who all want to drive race cars.

So, really, she is the equivalent of so many of today's female pop-music stars. They are the best singers (with a lot of help from Autotune) among the hotties qualified for the job in the first place. If Danica were a guy, she'd likely still be racing because she obviously has enough skill to hang with the average drivers over the course of time. But she wouldn't be anything more than that and no one would pay much attention to her. Good for her, obviously, but does nothing for me.

In interviews, she's prickly and unfriendly, aloof even. If she were a guy, she'd be a jerk. But since she's not she gets a pass here, too.

What he said.

In addition, her swimsuit posing and (back when she first joined IndyCar, butt-crack showing ***** photo spread in yellow vinyl outfit, I refuse to take the time to even search for the photos) made me think one thing:

"if she wants to be taken seriously as a race car driver, why go to the extreme of perpetuating the 'women are only good for one thing' stereotype?"

I ignore NASCAR as much as possible, and I ignore DanicaTantrumTwit as much as possible. I had to weigh in on this thread.

I personally think Suzie Wolff could run circles around Danica in identical cars no matter the racing series.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:36 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with almost everything you've said here, with one exception: I doubt very highly that Danica would be in a top line NASCAR ride were she a guy. Keep in mind that a lot of her competitors in the lower formulae/ranks had more success, but struggled to move on in their careers.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:10 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Guess Bernie wants her!!

Formula One chief wants Danica Patrick to switch circuits

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 303
Size:  561.3 KB

Danica Patrick inspects her car during testing for the recent NASCAR Sprint Cup race in Las Vegas.

Alex Trautwig/Getty Images

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone says he would like to lure Danica Patrick to the sport but acknowledges she would be unlikely to make the move.

As the pre-eminent female driver in motorsports, firstly in Indy Car and now in NASCAR, Patrick attracts a lot of new fans and sponsors.

Ecclestone told the F1 website on Wednesday that "she will hardly want to give up the exposure she has in the U.S. to come here and maybe not make it."

"All the things that people worry about - whether a woman can cope with the G-forces and all that - she has proven that she can."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/rac...#ixzz2NXi4WtNr
Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,472 Likes on 2,069 Posts

She is not F1 material and at 30 years old, she's about 10 years too old to start now.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pete
She is not F1 material and at 30 years old, she's about 10 years too old to start now.
blah blah blah.....as she cashes the check
Old 03-14-2013, 05:30 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

How could you even begin to say she isn't at the top of the NASCAR field or doesn't deserve her ride? You think all the other drivers got together and let her take pole at daytona?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kk2
How could you even begin to say she isn't at the top of the NASCAR field or doesn't deserve her ride? You think all the other drivers got together and let her take pole at daytona?
A. car setup
B. "the plate"
C. yes and all the other drivers got together and made sure she didn't qualify in the top 30 after that.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:59 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,472 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by porrsha
blah blah blah.....as she cashes the check
I did too, yesterday, but it wasn't a check from NASA, I ain't that smart.

Nor did I apply at NASA because I know, I can't make it there. She gets a very large check at NA$CAR and she earned it. But road courses are not her strong suit and last time I checked, there are no roundy round courses in F1.

F1 is dog eat dog with absolutely no sympathy for those that can't hack it. Bernie sees the marketing aspect of a female driver in F1. To her credit, Danica knows she cannot be close to those guys times in F1, so why even embarass herself and did the right thing by turning down the Red Bull F1 "test" which was in all reality a marketing ploy by RBR.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The hype is wearing thin.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Land Jet
You are unqualified to have such an opinion.
Please either present your RL Drovers Club card or cease and desist immediately.
thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to contact the Department of the Interior. Brian France may have jumped the gun a bit by asking to have Danica added to Mount Rushmore.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 AM
ltusler
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Is it ok to hate her hair do?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:32 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Originally Posted by Land Jet
So you want her to wear something thinner???
Old 03-16-2013, 03:14 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see a spec single seater race between Danica,Susie W., and
Sabine Schmitz!!!

Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Sabine would put Danika to shame, and she has a pleasant personality in comparison to little Miss Hisifit.

Quick Reply: Hey, Danica Patrick haters...