Sponsored by:

Clip in harnesses?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clip in harnesses?

Well, I just looked at the Carolinas Region DE Tech Inspection form, and it has a new requirement. Under SAFETY: Aftermarket Equipped. it says: Harnesses mounted per PCA Club Race spec. Clip in harnesses must be pinned.

Can someone please clue me in on what this means?

I have a copy of the 2012 PCA Club Racing Rules and I have new G-Force harnesses that I mounted with bolts for the lap belts and clips/eyebolts for the sub and shoulder belts.

What and how do I pin?

Help! First DE of the new year is in 3 weeks, and I thought I had everything ready.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
Well, I just looked at the Carolinas Region DE Tech Inspection form, and it has a new requirement. Under SAFETY: Aftermarket Equipped. it says: Harnesses mounted per PCA Club Race spec. Clip in harnesses must be pinned.

Can someone please clue me in on what this means?

I have a copy of the 2012 PCA Club Racing Rules and I have new G-Force harnesses that I mounted with bolts for the lap belts and clips/eyebolts for the sub and shoulder belts.

What and how do I pin?

Help! First DE of the new year is in 3 weeks, and I thought I had everything ready.
This is what they want

additionally no more using aftermarket harnessses beyond 5 yrs

I can track my 911 w/ 37 yr old oe 3 pts that have spent literally thousands of days in the sun but my 6yr old Schroth's that have seen maybe 180 sunny days are a hazard, this is what happens when lawyers write regs
Old 02-12-2013, 07:28 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Nothing in the rules about pins that I can find.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 PM
U4EEAH
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a simple cotter pin (or tie wire) through the hole in your clips
Old 02-12-2013, 09:30 PM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a big deal, a little safety wire will do the trick.
This is a snap in fitting on the top.
http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...ap-in-brackets
Old 02-13-2013, 12:35 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM

You are doing better than I am - eight weeks to go and so much left to do. Wish my grandfather was here to help (mechanic for Eddie Rickenbacker and rode with him).
Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have small hands, it's literally a 5-10 minute job. Get some safety wire, there are holes in the cliips, it makes sure the clip can't roll out of the anchor point.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:32 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Belts for DE at CMP

Apex Performance will be at the event at CMP for Carolinas Region. If you have bolt-in belts, you don't need the safety wire. Safety wire is for snap-in belts. We will have safety wire with us and a couple of new belts in case yours are out of date and don't pass tech.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Been that way for a while,learned the from tech inspectors also.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:22 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

Who came up with this? Where does it say it in the PCA Club Racing rules? DE isn't racing. Show me where it says to do this in the Schroth documentation.

You can't tell me these things can come unhooked. It takes me 15 minutes to get mine off sometimes, especially the ones under the seats. My car is a dual purpose car. I put the harnesses in for a DE, and take them out after it's over. I'm not going to spend another hour putting in pins/wire for every event. I would refuse. You'd have to convince me that this is a real problem.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

It was part of the GTB1 safety inspection at the Sebring race. My car failed and we had to fix it and get back in line. Luckily it was during a practice.

I will say this...without the cotter pin, one side did come loose at NJMP at the end of last year, so it makes sense from a safety standpoint. But, I clearly see it will be a PIA for dual purpose cars.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Karen England
Wish my grandfather was here to help (mechanic for Eddie Rickenbacker and rode with him).
WTF?!?!?!?!?

that's awesome!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:39 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I have been at his since 1987, and cotter pins or some other mechanism for the same purpose has been required everywhere I have driven in DE's and raced. I am surprised that it is a surprise.

Like others, I have had situations where a pin was removed for some reason or another, and then I forgot to put it back in. And I have had the belts unhook, both in AX and on track.

As to regs on belts, as most know various materials are used in DOT street car apps and in SFI/FIA racing apps. There may be differences in life expectancy with respect to exposure to the elements and so on.

Of course it may simply come down to the legal structure of using products in a manner consistent with their labeling.

Since I started, I have never had a problem with belt and helmet dating. Inconvenient and annoying in some instances, but in many areas these requirements have been in place for decades, even for DE.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:41 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Safety Wire

PCA rules for harnesses say - Belts shall be mounted according to these rules and the manufacturer’s specifications

I looked up the Schroth installation instructions and didn't see anywhere in particular that recommends the safety wire; however, Grassroots Motorsports had an article where they interviewed Joe Marko (the owner of HMS and North American Importer of Schroth) and Joe did recommend using safety wire

"Clip from the top

Starting where the lap belts join the car itself, these clip-in-type mounts should always be clipped in from the top. A small piece of safety wire or a clip then needs to pass through the small hole in the safety latch to keep the belt from disconnecting from its eyebolt. "

It's going to depend on how finicky the tech person is at the event. Once you install the safety wire, it's on there til your belts expire and change them out so a simple 5 minute fix can avoid a hassle not passing tech at an event.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My car is a dual purpose car too and I remove the harnesses between events as well. I just use a piece of wire that is semi-flexible and they go in and come out very easy. An extra 30 seconds to install and less to remove per per clip.

Don't remember where it was, but have seen it in the PCA CR rulebook before.

-Skip

Quick Reply: Clip in harnesses?