Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clip in harnesses?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. I have cotter pins so all is good if I can get my fat hands under the seats.

Now to find something else to panic over.

P.S. Got a 4 wheel alignment done yesterday (at the BMW dealership!!!!!) after redoing the suspension. Try as we may, I'm still a teeny bit short on rear end toe-in. Any suggestions? She still drives good, though.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Karen England
You are doing better than I am - eight weeks to go and so much left to do. Wish my grandfather was here to help (mechanic for Eddie Rickenbacker and rode with him).
Wish I were closer, I'd be glad to help.

My DE is only 3 weeks away now. If I don't get to go fast soon, I think the GF is going to hit me with a big wrench.

I got a fire suit for Christmas: For some reason it makes me look more like Tony Stewart than Jimmy Johnson. Must be defective.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

Here in NorCal, the PCA Golden Gate region has had a rich history of DE/Time trial events. Lots of former and current connections to pro racing... Can Am, IMSA and all of the rest.

As far back as I can remember, cotter pins have been a requirement. And there is a standard practice for checking their placement at tech.

In addition to car prep things like this, I always schedule plenty of time to review all of my technical what, when, how and so on w.r.t. driving. This includes watching relevant in-car video of previous events on my I-Phone as I ride the exercise bike. I get some funny looks at the gym.

And 1-2 viewings of Going Faster! Most years I also do a viewing of Porsche 935: Moby and the Warhorse Gang and/or In Car 956 to get the juices flowing.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I have cotter pins so all is good if I can get my fat hands under the seats.

I just installed a new set of Schroth harness and forgot the cotter pins. Your timely question was a great reminder. Otherwise, I'd have been off to Roebling without them.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
And 1-2 viewings of Going Faster! Most years I also do a viewing of Porsche 935: Moby and the Warhorse Gang and/or In Car 956 to get the juices flowing.

Good luck.
I'll have to check these out! I used to watch Dan Brown's "On Any Sunday" the night before I'd go Enduro dirtbike riding.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Who came up with this? Where does it say it in the PCA Club Racing rules? DE isn't racing. Show me where it says to do this in the Schroth documentation.

You can't tell me these things can come unhooked. It takes me 15 minutes to get mine off sometimes, especially the ones under the seats. My car is a dual purpose car. I put the harnesses in for a DE, and take them out after it's over. I'm not going to spend another hour putting in pins/wire for every event. I would refuse. You'd have to convince me that this is a real problem.
Worked in the fall protection business for years, we had gates on safety hooks that had 500 lbs specified requirements to protect for roll out when sustaining a shock load of 3500 pounds (which is what the average 200 pound man is subjected to for a 6' drop) if your buckle has the opportunity to roll out because it's turned when you cinch up the belts, you will subject it to far more rollout force than you think in an impact.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:14 AM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread but still valid.

Quick Reply: Clip in harnesses?