Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK's Future In Club/Spec Racing???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:43 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't thinking of new classes, just bumping them up one stock class if the data shows an advantage.

There aren't any cars in my class with PDK, so maybe I should keep my mouth shut.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:09 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Mark - I agree. It does seem strange to keep in same class. But this is new and probably easier to keep down class explosion until there are enough instances to be sensible.
Guys and Gals,

Of the classes where I have gotten the PDK made legal, it has come with a weight penalty every time. 50 lbs for some and 100lbs for others.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

John, I think we were talking PCA classes, not all the places you guys run.

At my low amateur level I think PDK is a much bigger advantage than 50 or 100 lbs penalty. I think we miss a lot more shifts than the pros do.

But I am fine waiting for some stats to see what we should do, if anything.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,212 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM

At my low amateur level I think PDK is a much bigger advantage than 50 or 100 lbs penalty. I think we miss a lot more shifts than the pros do.

Mark, just my opinion, but you classify car spec, not driver ability or execution!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Peter, agreed.

If you put a driver in a Cayman S with PDK and the same driver in a non-PDK car would he/she turn the same lap times at VIR, or would PDK be faster? And if so, is the advantage large enough to warrant a class change?
Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Mark, just my opinion, but you classify car spec, not driver ability or execution!
That's the reason guys like me, who can't drive, stay away from the spec classes and build GT engines.

Easy: Turn, go, turn, go, turn, go...
Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

PDK carries an inherent weight penalty compared to an identical car with a manual. Maybe that's enough?
Old 02-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Tim Webb
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Be racing with a PDK this year. Keep you posted.
GT1R 2010 997 Turbo
Old 02-22-2013, 05:49 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, I think this debate is pretty much over considering that P is going the modern route and eliminating the MT in its new GT3. If the new GT3, the company's consumer track based car, is going all PDK surely the rest of the company's car line-up will follow. Therefore, of course all future club/spec racing will revert to PDK because the factory will have eliminated the MT. THERE WILL BE NO CHOICE!!!(a la Ferrari and Lambo...)

IMHO, its a damn shame. Yes the PDKs(and the other manufacturer's equivalents) are faster and more advanced than the old style MT BUT switching to them takes some driver's skill out of the equation, which to me lessens the "sport" involved in driving a car fast on track.

But what do I know, I'd personally like to see F1 go back to manual boxes...Yes, the speeds would go down but the driver involvement would go up. After all, Isn't that the definition of sport??? I'm sure we could build pitching machines that could throw pitches in MLB more effectively than a major league pitcher but where would be the fun in that???(Sorry C.J., I didn't mean to single you out. LOL)
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Webb
Be racing with a PDK this year. Keep you posted.
GT1R 2010 997 Turbo
Please do. Be great to get some genuine feedback from someone running some real power through one of these transmissions. Also wonder on purchase and rebuild costs. Are you having yours modified from the stock 997 tt unit? Gearing?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hold on a second here...it's not over. Guys, what about a 991 widebody GTS (i don't even know if they will make one but hear me out) with a powerkit and a 7 speed and a pair of sport bucket seats and some control arms for camber and sport chrono plus? Why is this not almost as good for the street/track as whatever GT3 comes out? I have said it over and over again but what's wrong with a 991 with an power kit that has a $3900 replacement cost for its 7-speed manual and $15K replacement cost for its X51/GTS/power it whatever you want to call it motor? purchase the 991 control arms from the GT3 when it comes out and boom, 7-speed GT3 built by Porsche and you with 100% OEM parts.

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Well, I think this debate is pretty much over considering that P is going the modern route and eliminating the MT in its new GT3. If the new GT3, the company's consumer track based car, is going all PDK surely the rest of the company's car line-up will follow. Therefore, of course all future club/spec racing will revert to PDK because the factory will have eliminated the MT. THERE WILL BE NO CHOICE!!!(a la Ferrari and Lambo...)

IMHO, its a damn shame. Yes the PDKs(and the other manufacturer's equivalents) are faster and more advanced than the old style MT BUT switching to them takes some driver's skill out of the equation, which to me lessens the "sport" involved in driving a car fast on track.

But what do I know, I'd personally like to see F1 go back to manual boxes...Yes, the speeds would go down but the driver involvement would go up. After all, Isn't that the definition of sport??? I'm sure we could build pitching machines that could throw pitches in MLB more effectively than a major league pitcher but where would be the fun in that???(Sorry C.J., I didn't mean to single you out. LOL)
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MarkM

Those are the classes to which I am referring. I wouldn't be on here boring you guys with useless Grand-Am knowledge. This whole topic is about PDKs in club racing. I think you guys need to download the PCA GCR and see what's going on inside of there. Among Caymans and 911s, the PDK weight penalties vary substantially. Cayman Rs with PDK and I think 997s with PDK don't have as much of a penalty as some of the other cars that carry an extra 100lbs.

Check out the GCR. That should give you an indication of what the rulesmakers think the penalties should be. It's all over the board though.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Hold on a second here...it's not over. Guys, what about a 991 widebody GTS (i don't even know if they will make one but hear me out) with a powerkit and a 7 speed and a pair of sport bucket seats and some control arms for camber and sport chrono plus? Why is this not almost as good for the street/track as whatever GT3 comes out? I have said it over and over again but what's wrong with a 991 with an power kit that has a $3900 replacement cost for its 7-speed manual and $15K replacement cost for its X51/GTS/power it whatever you want to call it motor? purchase the 991 control arms from the GT3 when it comes out and boom, 7-speed GT3 built by Porsche and you with 100% OEM parts.
Isn't the GT3 (and Turbo) a true dry sump motor vs. the 991's wet sump? Would durability be an issue with one over the other?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM
BHunt 72T
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Great video. It's interesting to see his hands not leave the steering wheel. Aslo, did no one think the move at 2:10 was worth mentioning?! Slight code-brown?

Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
BHunt 72T
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Also, a friend of ours just bought a new Boxster S w PDK. He's planning on doing several DE/Autocross events with the car. Should he have it in "Sport Plus" mode, or simply leave it in "Sport" mode and let the PDK decide the proper gear? Thoughts?

Quick Reply: PDK's Future In Club/Spec Racing???