Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK's Future In Club/Spec Racing???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

And my car seems to be drawn in to pretty 944's (and 968's, ask Joe M.!) so I have to be extra carefull.. then again Bela will take your mirror right off and not skip a beat!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff951NJ
Found this video from a GTB1 PDK Cayman at this years Sebring race... I know Dawe's Motorsports also has a customer running PDK Cayman as well. I saw it at Lime Rock last year, also a real fast car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEEqXqkCBbU
This car was built by Bob Viau, Jr at Auto Edge, is owned by Dan Martinson and has some BGB secrets that were sold for free via the telephone. This car actually has a stock open diff in it.

The PDK revolution is coming. We have built several of these cars already and I'm working on another and potentially trying to get it classified in Rolex with PDK.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:53 PM
caymancyr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
This car was built by Bob Viau, Jr at Auto Edge, is owned by Dan Martinson and has some BGB secrets that were sold for free via the telephone. This car actually has a stock open diff in it.
I've had my battles with Dan in his old S2 E Car. He's one hell of a driver but his PDK Cayman absolutely blew the doors off of everyone else's Cayman in the Sebring Enduro only a GTB1 997 that was competitive. I think this speaks volumes because GTB1 was loaded with fast drivers in fast 6-Speed Caymans. The extra gear, the left foot braking . . . this has to be the future.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:10 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone gone out in cars very similar maybe the only major difference being PDK vs 6speed, same track, same driver and compared where a quality, near-pro or pro driver does his shifting up and down, compared to the PDK brain.?
would be neat to see if the PDK downshifts later, etc.
watching watch the video from a few posts lower at sebring and generally, i thought the PDK was downshifting a good bit later than i might had i had 3 pedals at my feet. then again, i only have my cup car to compare it to and that thing likes high revs.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 PM
caymancyr
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
Has anyone gone out in cars very similar maybe the only major difference being PDK vs 6speed, same track, same driver and compared where a quality, near-pro or pro driver does his shifting up and down, compared to the PDK brain.?
I had this conversation with the Bob Viau (Sr.) of Auto Edge who has built and driven a number of GTB1 Caymans. He's a seasoned top notch PCA racer. He implied to me that, after comparing both manual and PDK cars, if I wanted to win, I should build a PDK. Dan's results back this up. The sport shift mode keeps you in the meat of the rev range without thinking. Consistency beyond what any of us racer wanna be's could imagine. This has to add to consistency in other aspects of our game.
So, of course, I'm beginning to look for a six speed GTB1 Cayman. ;-)

Last edited by caymancyr; 02-16-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-16-2013, 07:12 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

If PDK catches on in club racing, I suspect it will be a significant advantage. Enough so that it wouldn't surprise me to see a weight penalty for the PDK. Just making a guess here.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
Has anyone reviewed the data, the only major difference being PDK vs 6speed, same track, same driver and compared where a quality, near-pro or pro driver does his shifting up and down, compared to the PDK brain?

i thought the PDK was downshifting a good bit later than i might had i had 3 pedals at my feet. then again, i only have my cup car to compare it to and that thing likes high revs.
Steve, yes, the PDK downshifts later and more optimally than a manually downshifted Cup Car. It downshifts in the proper interval in at the proper time, without too many revs, which is the sin of most Cup car drivers.

Originally Posted by caymancyr
I had this conversation with the Bob Viau (Sr.) of Auto Edge who has built and driven a number of GTB1 Caymans. He's a seasoned top notch PCA racer. He implied to me that, after comparing both manual and PDK cars, if I wanted to win, I should build a PDK. Dan's results back this up. The sport shift mode keeps you in the meat of the rev range without thinking. Consistency beyond what any of us racer wanna be's could imagine. This has to add to consistency in other aspects of our game.
So, of course, I'm beginning to look for a six speed GTB1 Cayman. ;-)
Agreed, above a certain level, it is those that make the least mistakes in a race that win. One less variable (and one that costs racers more time that they realize with one muffed shift) is taken away with the PDK. I'm sold. The data supports it...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

If I could race in my socks, like I do with sims, I could be a PDK contender as my left foot is the only foot I brake with!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
If I could race in my socks, like I do with sims, I could be a PDK contender as my left foot is the only foot I brake with!
You race in your socks? I had to put Pilotis on yesterday because my bare feet keep slipping off the pedals.

Oh if there was an ESC button in club racing when mistakes were made?!?!?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

There is, but it costs a LOT to push it, and the reboot time can be as long as a year.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

You race in your socks? I had to put Pilotis on yesterday because my bare feet keep slipping off the pedals.

I apparently have gorilla-like toe control cause I can actually re-position my pedals using my toes to grab them !
Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

I apparently have gorilla-like toe control cause I can actually re-position my pedals using my toes to grab them !
What you do with your toes, is your business. We really don't need to know.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
What you do with your toes, is your business. We really don't need to know.
Pics coming soon... possibly a video with toe data.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,675 Posts

You need some better sim pedals, then. The new V2 Fanatec Club Sports are good, the Perfect Pedal mod is great and the Todd Cannon pedals are good. No reason to suffer plastic and weak springs...
Old 02-20-2013, 01:52 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
It's interesting that a PDK car is in the same PCA class as the base car. It may not be cheating, but looks like it could be a big advantage to PDK cars.

I wonder if performance data will show it should be bumped you up a class?
Mark - I agree. It does seem strange to keep in same class. But this is new and probably easier to keep down class explosion until there are enough instances to be sensible.

Quick Reply: PDK's Future In Club/Spec Racing???