Sponsored by:

PDK's Future In Club/Spec Racing???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Interested to hear what you guys think about the potential future use of PDK in 911,Boxster, and Cayman club/spec racing. Will the PDK be allowed? Will it be given a weight penalty when compared to a MT equipped car(think the 3.6L engine in spec 996 racing)?

And most important of all; will the PDK be able to withstand the abuse of racing?
I think it means less driver errors. Which means the teams will want to leave less up to their drivers if they can. They'd reather lose on mechanical mishap than driver error.

Which means far more predictable/processional races. Which (ironically) has never been the type of racing that drives attendance up, well not for the casual fan that doesn't know PDK from PDA.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are PDK cars specifically not allowed in PCA Club Racing, or is this a grey area?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing grey about it. They are identified in the class structure, in the same class as a non-PDK car.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

From CR Rules 2012
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PDK page.pdf (63.6 KB, 116 views)
Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Folks,

The PDK trans is already in PCA and SCCA legally. This past September I got classified a Cayman in Touring that can also run at 2900 lbs with a PDK trans and "ANY Porsche Engine." So technically our Rolex Cayman that we ran the 24 is now legal in STO and could run a PDK if desired. Speed Merchants ran a PDK 997.2 all through 2010 in PCA Club Racing and I worked directly with that driver J-F Dumoulin and that's why I had him run our PDK Cayman at NJMP.

In 2011, when BGB set out to crack the nut on PDK because we refused to accept things like "limp mode" we created a PDK Cayman that flawlessly ran 6 outtings in the heat of the hot Southeast U.S. (Sebring, PBIR and Daytona in the summer) and when wanted real proof, we took it to NJMP last year for the ITC race.

I will admit the fact that I grossly grossly underestimated the demand for a track functioning PDK setup. When I coach people with the PDK I tell them "hands off the wheel." I actually intentionally don't mount the paddle shifters because unlike an F430 or a 458 Ferrari, this isn't a true race sequential and therefore the software doesn't want you interrupting, shifting up or down. The PDK ECU is designed to outhink the driver, look at brake/throttle pressure and talk to the lat-g sensor in the middle of the corner so it doesn't upshift. I tell people "if you don't like being spoken to while you're driving then don't talk to the PDK either - you do your thing and let him do his."

While some class A types don't like the reduced interaction, it's the recipe for a successful PDK build. We are on our 6th car without issue. I have beaten these cars down in the heat of Florida and they keep coming. We are thinking about building a PDK version of the Rolex car to add some race proven performance to the PDK.

Right now, via Guard Transmission, we offer the only PDK motorsport limited slip differential for 987.2, 997.2 and 991 Porsches. The PDK LSD for 987.2 and 997.2 cars with factory open diffs is a couple of months behind but it's coming also.

Thanks.

John
Will any of your systems work with. 996 GT2 I might be interested.

Last edited by Vonschmidt; 02-13-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Will any of your systems work with. 996 GT2 I might be interested.
What does your GT2 have to do with anything PDK that is being discussed here?.. or do you just keep posting all over the place here in the Racing forum to just keep showing everyone you have a GT2? I enjoyed the Red GT2 video, was that you too? Am I missing something?

Last edited by Gary R.; 02-13-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
What does your runny egg eyed GT2 have to do with anything PDK that is being discussed here.. or do you just keep posing all over the place to keep showing everyone your old GT2? Am I missing something?
First I think this may be the single most valuable forum for anyone involved in the many aspects of the Porsche world. Where else would we get the opportunity to learn about new improvements to our cars from someone such as BGB Motorsports. In this case in te last two weeks two different trusted advisors have brought up PDK and so I jumped at the chance to ask a question from someone running this technology hard and in an enviroment like the 24hrs.

Second I am toying with adding a spec Miata or Spec Boxter and if PDK is going to be openly accepted in Spec Boxter by all organization then I may be interested in converting cars over. I beleive that the future should be embraced and love to be on the cutting edge.

Third perhaps I should have PM the guys at BGB but frankly thought that I could simply ask a question here without upsetting others, pardon me if this assumption was wrong.

Finally I am tolerant of all other owners regardless of what they drive and how they use their cars track, street, daily driver, or collectible. Im not sure how I have offended you enough to receive this type of response and unsure why you would resort to calling cars names but it is what it is.

I have become very active as this forum has helped me learn more in a short period Than i could ever gained anywhere else. I consider myself fortunate to have access if I have broken some sort of rule then I apologize no offense was intended.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Will any of your systems work with 996 GT2 I might be interested.
Right, I must have misinterpreted your question, I apologize. Obviously you were asking about Miatas and Spec Boxster's and I jumped the gun.. I must be overly sensitive since the trauma of watching the GT2 DE video at COTA.. My English not so good, so please excuse me for the bad stuff I write. I don't know what 996 mean, I just hear the "runny egg" thing so that's how I describe, no offense meant..
Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Just glad I didn't offend you. I think that video should be mandatory for DE students. I sent a PM to BGB asking my questions.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Gary est funnee.

To be honest though, I made similar enquires to Rick DeMan about how much he thought the PDK could stand in racing conditions. It looks great in those Caymens which I assume are quite similar to the BGB versions. However can they handle 600ft/lb tq? Obviously they're in the current 997tt and these cars do get modified but not for track work so much. More for the '3 honk' set. The advantages of a decent paddle shift is too much to ignore. Are these PDK equipped Caymens allowed to run against H pattern with no extra weight or penalty?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Between BGB's and Rick's comments, it sure sounds like we will be seeing a lot more PDKs racing in the future! My next 911 or Cayman will have it, of that i'm sure..
Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Found this video from a GTB1 PDK Cayman at this years Sebring race... I know Dawe's Motorsports also has a customer running PDK Cayman as well. I saw it at Lime Rock last year, also a real fast car.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

note to newbies: Don't **** Gary off. He'll out wit you every time.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
note to newbies: Don't **** Gary off. He'll out wit you every time.
Awww pshaawww Frank, you just trying to butter me up before this new race season?
Old 02-14-2013, 11:14 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

he he.
'cuz we go wheel to wheel a lot....

Quick Reply: PDK's Future In Club/Spec Racing???