Sponsored by:

My new HANS Pro Ultra arrived today

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:52 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
It is somewhat amusing to watch H&D paint themselves into a corner with the design flaw of the product (keeping the device under the harness in an impact)

No wings
Mini Wings
Friction material
2-3" HANS specific harnesses
Mini Wings with friction material

Now large wings with friction material.

Better, but still no where near correct.
Like you know more and better than a Professor of biomedical engineering with experience as a biomechanical crash engineer.

All good products evolve over time. Designs are improved upon as new information becomes available. The Hans Device is extremely effective. There may be better products on the market, but clearly Hans Device is a quality product that works.

Scott
Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Do Hans devices time out like harnesses?
The tethers need replaced every couple years too according to most sanctioned racing groups. ~$40
Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

Last time I checked...

Most HANS devices have both SFI and FIA certifications. SFI have a re-certification requirement. FIA do not. Many (most?) sanctioning bodies make you follow the SFI requirement if you have a HANS device that only has the SFI certification.

If you have one with both, then the fact that FIA has no re-cert process means you do not have to get your HANS re-certified. Of course this can change/evolve. But the last time I checked into things (as a writer of racing rules), this is how most had things set up. For example, this was the NASA rule for 2012.

Also, the only common sanctioning body that required tether replacement intervals was BMWCCA last time I checked. When I looked last Fall I could find no other amateur sanctioning body that required tether replacement.

I am not sure about ALMS or Grandam... I do not routinely review their rules.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

My old one has both.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

it has changed.. Still need ReCertified which was an edict placed a couple years ago via HANS & SFI. Nice, considering HANS Pres/Founder sits on the board of SFI... Found a way to get a renewable revenue stream out of a solid state piece of equipment...

Bottom line it is only $15 and honestly isn't a bad idea seeing as it can save your neck, literally.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Like you know more and better than a Professor of biomedical engineering with experience as a biomechanical crash engineer.

All good products evolve over time. Designs are improved upon as new information becomes available. The Hans Device is extremely effective. There may be better products on the market, but clearly Hans Device is a quality product that works.

Scott
Some people look at a glass and say it's half full
Some people look at a glass and say it's half empty
A few people look at the glass and say it's twice as big as it needs to be

If you describe the problem you're trying to solve, across all likely boundary conditions, and look at a HANS, your first reaction would be "why would you design it like that?"
You then eliminate further discussion/competition by mandating its use (the business vs technical approach) beginning from the alpha release.

Hans has just been spending the last few years coming to terms with the (obvious) design flaw in the initial design.
Yes, it's better than nothing, but no, it doesn't excuse the approach taken since.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I'm sure they are not getting rich off the $15. It's probaby that much in a new label, paperwork, and labor to check it.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

No I don't think it has changed.

I just checked the 2013 NASA rules and they do not require you to have you HANS recertified if it has the FIA cert. So that has not changed. I reviewed the PCA rules changes for 2013 and their 2012 document, and it seems they are standing pat as well. Like I said, for many (most?) amateur sanctioning bodies, if you have an FIA cert on your HANS, you don't need to ever get re-certification, regardless of whether it also has SFI certification.

Of course sanctioning bodies can issue updates at any time, so folks should always read and understand appropriate rules.

Hubbard Downing say you should replace tethers every 5 years. But as far as I know, BMWCCA is the only sanctioning body that requires tether swap outs. NASA and PCA do not.

And again, I have not reviewed GrandAm nor ALMS pro rules. Nor have I recently looked at SCCA. Last time I did look at SCCA they were essentially the same as NASA.

Here is the 2013 (current) NASA language:

29.1.1 General
There is an up to date list of devices that are SFI 38.1 certified located here:
http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html#38.1. If the device is not on this list it will not fulfill the use mandate.

As of April 1, 2012 all devices that have an SFI certification and are more than five (5) years old should be sent back to the manufacturer for recertification per SFI 38.1 specifications. Those devices that have an FIA certification, whether or not they also have an SFI certification, are not required to be recertified.

I always encourage folks to read and follow the rules, and if they choose to be more conservative, so be it. But start with an understanding of the actual, written rules, not internet folklore or anything else.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

And by the way, the SFI re-certification requirement is fairly new. Check their web site for details.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I checked my SCCA files. Back in November of 2011 they issued a memo, which states:

SFI recently issued a requirement of inspection and recertification every five (5) years of all SFI 38.1 HNR Devices. The GCR does not specify this requirement. Currently, SCCA is recommending, but not requiring, that SFI 38.1 HNR devices be inspected and recertified by the manufacturer every five (5) years as per the SFI requirement.

Please also note that the SFI requirement does not apply to FIA 8858 HNR
devices.

SCCA will continue to monitor developments regarding the SFI-requirement.

I checked the current SCCA GCR and I see no evidence that they have moved from that position.

Again, always check written rules before deciding what applies to your situation.

Quick Reply: My new HANS Pro Ultra arrived today