Sponsored by:

Looking for an RSR Street/DE project?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Very cool project and well worth $20K. But seems to be too many threads all pointing at each other in other forum sections, I gave up after 4 tabs were open. Don't mean to be negative but one thread would be better so we could see what you have.
Mike, only two threads in the other forum. One in Marketplace Discussion and one in the (much more frequented) Technical. Sorry about the twists and turns.. What I may end up doing is put it in the Pelican FS section with all the pictures I have to date (I really need to sort through all the parts boxes too). I posted on a whim to see the interest and there seems to be quite a bit more than I anticipated (don't know if that's good or bad). It's starting to get more "real" now so I guess I will have to get off my butt....

Last edited by Gary R.; 01-29-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I don't want to be a jerk

Wait for it.....

Too late Matt!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Unfortunate situation I know...... I hope the it turns around quickly for you......

BTW, I am always in need of a racing coach......like a couple of years ago........
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Unfortunate situation I know...... I hope the it turns around quickly for you......

BTW, I am always in need of a racing coach......like a couple of years ago........
Thanks for the thoughts bud, guess if you look at it as selling one extravagant toy to finance another extravagant toy/hobby it's not too bad of a situation...

As for helping you, if i'm not racing it would be my pleasure.. as long as you start iRacing with us!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary;

Sorry to hear that it is necessary for you to consider this. I am sure it is just a temp thing.

As the proud owner (for 5 years) of one of Gary's "other" projects, I can tell you that what he has done to this one is done right, exactly as described and to a high standard.

hang in there, man.

bob
Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bob, boy do I miss the rush that car gave when you stomped on it! How is she running, I remember you had some more engine work done? The Hargett shifter and G50 holding up?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 AM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Thanks Bob, boy do I miss the rush that car gave when you stomped on it! How is she running, I remember you had some more engine work done? The Hargett shifter and G50 holding up?
Yes, we spun the #2 main bearing in mid year 09. Had a local ex works mechanic who supported a bunch of 935's in the day do a complete rebuild, including some crank work and other stuff. Been an absolute beast since then.

last year in the last session of the last day, a big bang crunch happened in the tranny as i was pulling out of the hot pits. Turns out it was the main shaft in the tranny, had broken right where the 1st gear had been welded on (for the short gear set). Quite an ordeal to find a new one as that tranny is the uber rare 89 turbo G50. Eventually had to get the shaft form Germany

Have had no issues with the Hargett although a couple of years ago I modified the way the shift lever attached to the shift rod as it would work loose every once in a while....

Otherwise she is basically the same as she was in 08, i added a glass RS 3.8 wing with Gurney flap two years ago.

have put about 10K miles on her with 97% of those being track miles.

regards

B
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear about the G50, did you put shorter gears in it? I remember it as being stock w/shortened bell housing but that's it. That car was a labor of love, another "don't look at the bills while building" example for me. IIRC that transmission conversion alone was about $12K! She looks great!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 AM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

She already had the short gear set, but i went back to the stock 1st gear as it is part of the shaft. the rest of the gears where still perfect, the short set 2,3,4 make a huge difference in being able to keep her on boost all the way around the track. (I only get to 5th at RA and High Plains.)

We also added a KEP Stage 2 pp and disc when we had the tranny out and did the shock tower reinforcements for the impending coil over conversion (in progress).
Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I remember taking her to a Watkins Glen DE before I put the G50 in and driving around the track in 3rd gear, with no shifting. Think I ran a 2:14 without pushing, record time for my full race car (now) is a low 2:13! I didn't do a rear shock brace? The RSR has a simple 1" sq. tubular bar I installed from tower to tower to add a little rigidity, but staying with TB's on this one.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Too bad that I don't have the skill it takes to do this type of project or I'd love to build up a RSR replica! Buying this and then give it to a shop like Automobile Associates to finish would probably run up the tab VERY quickly..
Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Yes it would, they are not bargain builders. Wild guess would be to plan on $30K+ for them to take it as-is and build it out nicely.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree.. Not cheap, but they do good works!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Pumpkin has a special place in my heart also - and it's a joy to be around her with Bob behind the wheel.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

As I built her it's just good to know parts aren't falling off..

Quick Reply: Looking for an RSR Street/DE project?