Sponsored by:

DE Safety Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default DE Safety Gear

I have a stock '93 964 C2 that I DT/DE a couple times a year. Currently the only safety gear that I have is a Helmet and cotton clothing I want to keep the car as stock as possible, but would like to add some safety equipment without major drilling, welding, etc. In what order (priority) should I add safety equipment (seat, belts, HANS, roll bar, clothing, etc)? Any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:30 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV

without major drilling, welding, etc.
Any recommendations? Thanks!

no drilling and welding, limits your options.

I think you can get a (bolt in) cross bar to mount 6 point harnesses. (safety devices?)

so, race seats, 6 point harnesses, H&N, (hans or R3/ISSAC)

- you could use the R3 or Issac now without the seats and harness (IIRC). but Hans would probably be better if you do the seats and harnesses.

then a fire system/bottle.

do you have gloves and a suit?

the order of the list depends on your budget. if its low, get the R3 or issac 1st. if its bigger, then the bar, seats, harness and hans.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:40 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. I currently do not have gloves, shoes, or suit. I'm trying to prioritize where to put my money first. Would clothing be the best first step?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:01 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I went down this path with my '91 C2 a few years ago.

The first day was with her stock except for Bilsteins/HR suspension mods. It was fun, but to me it was a day of drifting. The tires couldn't handle the speeds I was taking the corners at, so we just slid around them. Had helmet, and gloves.

Next outing was with a set of Nitto NT-01 R-Compound tires. Great day, car stuck like glue, but my hands hurt like hell keeping me in the seat.

After that I put in a bolt in Roll Bar, and Recaro Profi XL seats, and 6 point harness. Wonderful day, but I cooked the brakes.

Next was the brakes, bigger, and racing pads. Now the car is there. Feels great. However the wife wasn't happy. Too much car, not enough safety. She bought me a HANS, and shoes.

The HANS has made the biggest difference to my driving. I feel like I'm bolted to the car. I don't move. don't need to grab the steering wheel, rather I can steer with it. So now the next is a fire supression system and suit.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I currently do not have gloves, shoes, or suit. I'm trying to prioritize where to put my money first. Would clothing be the best first step?
No, your neck should be the 1st step so if you don't want to (or financially can't) put in a harness bar/seats/harnesses/and HANS (they work as a system) then I would heed MrBill's advice and get an R3 or Isaac head restraint system. The seats and harnesses are overkill for 2 DE's a year, as are shoes and a suit IMO. The correct gloves help you grip the wheel and are relatively inexpensive.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sundog
The HANS has made the biggest difference to my driving. I feel like I'm bolted to the car. I don't move. don't need to grab the steering wheel, rather I can steer with it. So now the next is a fire supression system and suit.
Did you mean to say the seats and harnesses make you feel like your bolted to the car? The HANS has (or should have) 0 effect on you while driving..
Old 01-21-2013, 02:07 PM
sundog
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Did you mean to say the seats and harnesses make you feel like your bolted to the car? The HANS has (or should have) 0 effect on you while driving..
Not really. The seat and harnesses were very good at making me feel connected with the car. However, with the HANS, I really feel much more "stable" in the car. It could be because I cinch down the shoulder belts tighter, and with the HANS restraint the chest and shoulders seem like they are more "atatched to the car?

Trending Topics

Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I think I understand, the feeling and shape of the HANS under the harnesses makes you feel more "locked in" than just harnesses alone?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM
sundog
Race Director

I think I understand, the feeling and shape of the HANS under the harnesses makes you feel more "locked in" than just harnesses alone?
Yes. My big butt keeps the lower center of gravity held in place laterally. And the hans helps keep the big head in place.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:54 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The first day was with her stock except for Bilsteins/HR suspension mods. It was fun, but to me it was a day of drifting. The tires couldn't handle the speeds I was taking the corners at, so we just slid around them. Had helmet, and gloves.

Next outing was with a set of Nitto NT-01 R-Compound tires. Great day, car stuck like glue, but my hands hurt like hell keeping me in the seat.

After that I put in a bolt in Roll Bar, and Recaro Profi XL seats, and 6 point harness. Wonderful day, but I cooked the brakes.

Next was the brakes, bigger, and racing pads. Now the car is there. Feels great. However the wife wasn't happy. Too much car, not enough safety. She bought me a HANS, and shoes.

THIS....seems to be the perfectly normal progression.

The OP centers around safety, but, once again, trade offs are lurking around every corner (no pun intended, I'm not that bright).
Old 01-21-2013, 03:03 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the insight. Do you put the just put the seat in before the DE or do you use it full time on the street, too. Do you need to drill holes to fit the 6 pt harness?

One issue with seat and harness is that if I want an instructor to drive with me, I'd need to have them in both the driver and passenger sides.

Hal
Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

...your neck should be the 1st step...put in a harness bar/seats/harnesses/and HANS (they work as a system)...
This is my thinking as well, although I do more than 2 events a year (17 last summer between track time attack, DE and runway autocross). Bolt in limits options a bit, I went with a Heigo bolt in rollbar for my 951 (with a Cobra Evolution seat, scroth harnesses, and HANS), they have a few bolt in options for the 964. Note that it doesn't show the harness bar but it is inluded as a bolt on. I had one welded onto mine by a local shop.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM
sundog
Race Director

Thanks for the insight. Do you put the just put the seat in before the DE or do you use it full time on the street, too. Do you need to drill holes to fit the 6 pt harness?

One issue with seat and harness is that if I want an instructor to drive with me, I'd need to have them in both the driver and passenger sides.

Hal
The seats are permanent. The only hole for the seats was in the floor for the submarine straps. There are bars that you can use that attach to the seat rails that will hold them also. And I have a matching seat and harness in the passenger seat. I still drive my daughter to school in it occasionally.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:24 PM
JGB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking along the same lines. There is a rollbar from DAS that does bolt in. Available for both 964 and 993

https://www.dassport.com/store/produ...-1989-to-%2798

Jim

Last edited by JGB; 01-21-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-21-2013, 03:30 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Chrenan / JGB, thanks for pointing me to some bolt in options.

Quick Reply: DE Safety Gear