Sponsored by:

DE Safety Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JGB
I found the BK Harness guide bar on Pelican. It's much simpler than the DAS roll bar approach but where do you bolt the harness shoulder straps?
There is also the BK Harness Truss which seems to be between the guide bar and the DAS. Has anyone used one these?
I looked into these for quite a while and asked numerous people. PCA will not allow them, other groups may or may not. I thought for sure it would be better having harnesses on...but the reasoning is during a rollover you are stuck in upright position and there is no bar to protect the roof from crushing your head and spine.

So check with the groups you will be driving with before buying one.

But to answer your question...Schroth makes a good system that uses the rear seat belt mount points, then the shoulder harnesses attach to the extension. Requires a seat with harness openings or a moveable headrest. My seats do not have either which allows for the harnesses to slip down - making them useless.
The other option is a harness bar and the shoulder straps attach directly to it.

The Harness guide bar will keep them in the right spot - but again - the seat comes into question if it alters how they lay over your shoulders and Porsche seats like mine (and most others) don't work well.

If you don't have a proper mounting point for a 5 or 6 point harness then your only real option is the Schroth 4-point harness with Anti-submarining. If you want a 5/6-pt harness you need proper underseat mounts for the lap and AS straps.

You must treat the harnesses, seat, bar (and Neck Restraint) as a complete system. From my research the only true system is Roll Bar, Race Seat, 5/6-pt harness and Neck Restraint (HANS, Simpson, etc).

Last edited by cannon1000; 01-21-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:13 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
5-10 years? Ha ha - until the bug bites then the kids are on their own!

I think if you set aside a few $K I would protect yourself first:
Helmet (good one)
R3
Gloves (Better grip on the wheel)
Driving shoes and socks
1 layer suit w/nomex underwear or a 3 piece NOMEX suit.

If you get to a point where you are driving solo - you should start thinking about the car.
Rollbar, Harness and seats (hand held extinguisher)
I'm not sure what you mean by driving solo? I'm driving DE, which is solo, unless you ask an instructor to check out your driving. Twice a year we also have a DT the Friday before the DE weekend, where the instructor is with me the full day. I try to go to that, too, so I relearn what I forgot since the last DE.

The track that I go to (BIR) is pretty fast (for me, anyway) so I'm going ~140 mph down the main straight into a ~120 mph banked turn and then a 100 mph flat sweeper. Then the course slows and gradually speeds back up. These are my speeds of course, the GT3s are going much faster.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:32 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HalV
I'm not sure what you mean by driving solo? I'm driving DE, which is solo, unless you ask an instructor to check out your driving. Twice a year we also have a DT the Friday before the DE weekend, where the instructor is with me the full day. I try to go to that, too, so I relearn what I forgot since the last DE.

The track that I go to (BIR) is pretty fast (for me, anyway) so I'm going ~140 mph down the main straight into a ~120 mph banked turn and then a 100 mph flat sweeper. Then the course slows and gradually speeds back up. These are my speeds of course, the GT3s are going much faster.
Generally the DE's you start in beginner groups - w/Instructor. Graduate to "Adv. Beginner" w/Instructor until you are signed off as approved to drive "Solo". Most groups will require a check ride if you have not soloed with them yet.

DE does not mean solo. It should be "education". First you learn, then you practice. Down here you must graduate into a solo group.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:47 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Generally the DE's you start in beginner groups - w/Instructor. Graduate to "Adv. Beginner" w/Instructor until you are signed off as approved to drive "Solo". Most groups will require a check ride if you have not soloed with them yet.

DE does not mean solo. It should be "education". First you learn, then you practice. Down here you must graduate into a solo group.
I didn't say DE meant solo, what I said is that it doesn't mean and instructor is in the car. What we do it up here is a little different than what you describe. We do Drivers Training (DT's) all day Friday, which is with an instructor. This is for Novice or Intermediate drivers (two separate groups). DT is not required for Intermediate drivers, but is a good way to gain additional knowledge from an instructor.

DE's are Saturday and Sunday. If you were in DT for the first time on Friday, you must drive with the instructor on the first session on Saturday. The instructor will then decide if you're able to go solo the for the remaining Novice DE sessions. I passed this hurdle 4 years ago and have since moved into the Intermediate run group. That said, I still try to grab an instructor to drive with me at least once a DE. Their insight is usually invaluable.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Karen England
Are the seats able to go backwards and forwards?
Yes, I put them both on sliders. Probably not the best solution, but it works for now.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 384 Posts

I agree, if anything protect you neck. But this does require some changes to the car to use a Hans. It wil also require some thought and planning.

Here is a DAS bolt in in my 993, as you can see the rear seats have to come out. The bar where the shoulder straps attach has to be at or slightly below the height of the Hans, you have to use seats w/ holes for the straps at the correct height so as to prevent any interference between the seat and the belts

You don't need to drill holes in the floor for the substraps, a GT3 bar can be used as seen here

Lastly you need a seat w/ the sub, side and shoulder holes in it, 964/993 are tough to fit bigger seats because of the tunnel, so the smallest seats w/ the correct holes(shoulder holes should be big to facilitate alignment) that you fit in need to be selected

All of this won't be cheap and is probably not worth it for 2 days a year
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What safety equipment would you get if it was one of your children participating and driving with you at these events? Should that be any different than the level of safety you provide yourself?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I agree, if anything protect you neck. But this does require some changes to the car to use a Hans. It wil also require some thought and planning.

snip...

Lastly you need a seat w/ the sub, side and shoulder holes in it, 964/993 are tough to fit bigger seats because of the tunnel, so the smallest seats w/ the correct holes(shoulder holes should be big to facilitate alignment) that you fit in need to be selected

All of this won't be cheap and is probably not worth it for 2 days a year
Bill, these are great pictures. It gives me a good idea of what mods are involved. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:09 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Karen - Do you need anything more than a helmet, jeans (tight ones are better), and a (tight) long sleeve cotton shirt and a very cold, wet day to run DE's? Nope.
Hum? Finish that thought for you.

For the OP - just get a head and neck restraint system that works with 3 pt belts. Then keep your head on literally and figuratively. That is all you need for now.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone for the help. You've all provided some very good info. I already have a good helmet, so It looks like H&N restraint is priority one. Then bar, seat and harness. I'll put in a fire bottle in right away, too.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Here's the thing.

Race seats make you faster, because you are more planted/part of the car. you can add sliders. but (race seats) are not as comfortable for long drives or going out to dinner.

you can take them out, but its at least 1 hour time.... most don't.

I would get some gloves, and some fireproof underwear, then a R3....
Then seats, bolt in rollbar (didn't know the harness brace was no longer allowed), 6 point harnesses, sell the r3 and get the hans. add a fire system, then a fuel cell, some tires and go racing!

you can re-weld the cage holes you drill so nobody but you knows it was there... the safety devices cages are pretty good.

an R3 is a little uncomfortable at 1st... but you get use to it, like a helmet. not sure about ISSAC. that might be cheaper and more comfortable...

R3 vs ISSAC could be a new tread...

-one reason I use the R3 is it (and the ISSAC), don't require harnesses, If you later decide to instruct, these are your best options.

one last thing to keep in mind is, if your car breaks a tie rod at 140mph, will you have regrets the about safety money spent.... yes its rare, but can happen.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
. Do you need anything more than a helmet, jeans (tight ones are better), and a (tight) long sleeve cotton shirt to run DE's?
Nope.
Thanks Gary - have the above. Now need to start saving for the rest

Last edited by 911Königin; 01-22-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl

one last thing to keep in mind is, if your car breaks a tie rod at 140mph, will you have regrets the about safety money spent.... yes its rare, but can happen.
This
Old 01-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by morsini
This
Fortunately the OP isn't going to being going 140mph. Unfortunately, much less than that can result in life altering or ending consequences.

Agree with the posters that suggested your brain is your biggest safety device. Park the ego and Drive smart. Next is H&N, cage, seat w/ 6pt harness......
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Eifeler
Fortunately the OP isn't going to being going 140mph.
Really?

Originally Posted by HalV
The track that I go to (BIR) is pretty fast (for me, anyway) so I'm going ~140 mph down the main straight into a ~120 mph banked turn and then a 100 mph flat sweeper.

Quick Reply: DE Safety Gear