Sponsored by:

996 Splitter from Joe T. - a review

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:10 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 246 Posts
Default 996 Splitter from Joe T. - a review

In the various 996 sections there are a number of threads about the fiberglass splitter that member Joe T. produces. It extends further than the Cup car splitter so I thought I would give it a try and ordered a pair (these things are disposable on a race car!)

First, the fit is perfect. It installs just as easily as the factory piece without any unusual gaps. Only concern is that it is inflexible unlike the plastic factory piece. Not sure what will happen if it impacts a curb or I do some farm work. Will it crack? Will it sacrifice itself and fall off? Or will it remove my front bumper? I have no intention of trying to find the answer, but realize that one day I will.

On track results - wonderful! I ran a single session at MSR yesterday and there is a material difference on front end grip. In particular, in Ricochet and Big Bend (the fast stuff) I was able to rotate quicker on entry and get to full throttle quickly without fear of washing out beyond the track's edge. I have not looked at data but noticed my shift points came quicker on the straight. AJ from PST was standing on the pit wall during the session and also told me he noticed I was flying through the entry of Rattlesnake as well (slow corner), he could tell I was on it!

Net result, I ran a 1:18.7 in my NASA GTS4 car on 8 cycle Michelins that first ran at TWS March of last year and while carrying a full tank of gas. If I slapped on stickers and emptied the tank, I am certain I would have found the 1:17s, something I have not done before.

Looking forward to the dive planes he is developing ....
Old 01-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Any pics of this installed? Does it extend past the bumper (illegal in SP996 and others)?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
Any pics of this installed? Does it extend past the bumper (illegal in SP996 and others)?
In here somewhere https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...er-design.html

Thanks for the review.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the review. What wing do you have on the tail?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:25 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Did not take any pics but it does not extend past the bumper. Looks to be perfectly even with it.

I'm running the Cup wing and uprights, but I am about to switch to a set of roof height uprights.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 AM
gvtesse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Did not take any pics but it does not extend past the bumper. Looks to be perfectly even with it.

I'm running the Cup wing and uprights, but I am about to switch to a set of roof height uprights.
You already have the vented front bumper/tilted radiator/etc?

Looking to get that done along with adding the cup rear wing. I am wondering if I will need more front end downforce though or if just doing the radiator tilt will be sufficient.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. I want to run this splitter on my car, but want to balance it out with an RS wing. I don't have the upper radiator vents (RS-style vents), so even with this splitter I won't have as much front downforce as you, and hopefully won't need a cup wing. A fellow in the 996GT3 forum mentioned that this splitter works well with a stock wing at 8 degrees, but I'd rather run an RS wing with less angle.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Yes, I've got the vents and titled radiator.

On the track, I've tested the car with no splitter (it fell off during a race), street splitter, cup splitter, and now this one and each step showed a noticeable improvement. We have a particular turn on our home track (Ricochet) that really amplifies the effect when the turn is taken at speed and its amazing what even a little change to the front end can do here. Keep in mind this is being done to a race car where the car is already tuned to be rather sensitive to changes, YMMV on a street car.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:56 PM
gvtesse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I've got the vents and titled radiator.

On the track, I've tested the car with no splitter (it fell off during a race), street splitter, cup splitter, and now this one and each step showed a noticeable improvement. We have a particular turn on our home track (Ricochet) that really amplifies the effect when the turn is taken at speed and its amazing what even a little change to the front end can do here. Keep in mind this is being done to a race car where the car is already tuned to be rather sensitive to changes, YMMV on a street car.
With the additional downforce you can stiffen up the front sway bar without any additional understeer. This gives you more control of the rear end of the car. Give it a try and let me know how you like it....

Quick Reply: 996 Splitter from Joe T. - a review