Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Supresssion System

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013 | 03:36 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Kurt:
I'll have to ask them what they are using.

You know someone who just "dumped the small bottle in." How did they pressurize the system? Sounds like whoever did that did many things incorrectly. TD's would have been before SPA started using whatever it is they use to hinder the freezing process.
Old 01-24-2013 | 03:43 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

All AFFF sytems will freeze if subjected to sustained exteme cold.
THe biggest advantage to the ESS System is it is user rechargeable at the track for about $60. If you discharge any other system your racing weekend is done. By the time you pay the shipping for a recharge (hazardous material) and pay for the recharge...you almost could have bought another new system. The ESS system works well as evidenced by Chris Bradys mishap at the 2006 National Nationals at Mid Ohio during a 944 race.

We are the eastern master warehouse distributor for ESS. Any ?? give us a call.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 01-24-2013 | 04:30 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Kurt:
I'll have to ask them what they are using.

You know someone who just "dumped the small bottle in." How did they pressurize the system? Sounds like whoever did that did many things incorrectly. TD's would have been before SPA started using whatever it is they use to hinder the freezing process.
Was a system that was powered by a CO2 cart. The tank is not pressurized until the CO2 cart is punctured. The tank contained the small bottle of concentrate that was intended to be mixed with a quart or so of water thn added to the tank. Then a thin burst disk is placed over the fill/ output fitting. when you puncture the CO2 the gas pressurises the tank and forced the solution to pop the burst disk and flow out through the tubing. CO2 carts, cables, flip flop dip tubes, water and no way to tell if you have motive pressure by looking all added up to a "No thanks" for me.
Old 01-24-2013 | 04:38 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Kurt:
The SPA systems have a pressure gauge on the bottle and do not utilize an external CO2 cartridge. The bottle is pressurized internally when serviced/filled.
Old 01-24-2013 | 04:49 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

I hate to ask this, but...

How does one determine if his Spa system has seen too much cold, i.e., if it froze.
Old 01-24-2013 | 05:12 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Kai:
What I have been told by SPA, is if the bottle was last serviced prior to 2009, then it may freeze quicker than the anti-freeze AFFF and your bottle should be serviced if it has been exposed to prolonged temperatures at or near 0 degrees F. Since 2009 SPA has been using the anti-freeze AFFF in all their systems. If you have a system that was purchased or serviced after 2009 and you car was not exposed to near zero degrees F temps, then it should be OK.

If you car may be subjected to temperatures near 0 degrees F, then SPA recommends you remove the bottle from the car.
Old 01-24-2013 | 05:15 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Thanks so much Mark.

Been lucky and the bottle is coming out within fifteen minutes!!!

Quick Reply: Fire Supresssion System