Grand Am/ALMS Friday Press Conf.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape

Grand Am was all about parody - if you can't compete, the faster cars will be handicapped to bring everyone DOWN to the lowest common denominator.

The series is now in the hands of Grand Am people....
Unfortunately that is now true, except that they are striving for parity...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 530 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Unfortunately that is now true, except that they are striving for parity...
My point exactly....corrected...spelled parity wrong

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

IMO, grand am was (is) a parody of ALMS. So you were right, originally!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
ALMS was all about advancing technology - if you can't compete, step UP your game and make your car better!
Grand Am was all about parity - if you can't compete, the faster cars will be handicapped to bring everyone DOWN to the lowest common denominator.

The series is now in the hands of Obama people...."Everybody pays their fair share. Everybody gets a fair shot."
Fixed that for ya!

Last edited by CCA; 01-05-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I find it laughable that they are saying the GTC cars will be rolled into Rolex GT. That's like asking a 997 Carrera to go race against Cup Cars. GTC Cups are way different than Rolex GT class Cups. A GTC car needs another $100k of work put into it to make it on par with a Rolex car.
No doubt. Hell, for that matter, the GT3-R is the Cup version that needs to be competing against the 458's and R8's in Rolex GT.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
Rumor has it that Grand Am/ALMS is in talks with the ACO to allow Daytona Prototypes to run the 24 hours at La Sarthe.

I really hope that they speed up the DPs rather than slow the ALMS prototypes.
They almost have to speed up the DP's or the lmp's won't be on par with those racing in the rest of the WEC.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It took them all this time to announce that everyone gets invited to the party except P1? What a joke. Can you imagine being at the track and trying to figure out who is leading GT? Its that 911, no wait, that one, err, wait, maybe that Ferrari. I dont see the point of GTC at all, nor those spec prototypes.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I see this class structure as a transition meant to keep as many teams racing in GrandAM as possible. In time they will be losing classes like LMPC and P2.

Last edited by Cory M; 01-07-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

It's gonna be a clusterfook for the next 2 years.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:58 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
I see this class structure as a transition meant to keep as many teams racing in GrandAM as possible. In time they will be losing classes like GTC and P2.
Originally Posted by Mvez
It's gonna be a clusterfook for the next 2 years.
these.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:13 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 530 Likes on 284 Posts

To be honest, I enjoy watching GA racing - especially GT class. There are a lot more of the guys we know running there (RL members) we're fans of TRG as we've become friends with team (Kevin, Martin, Bob, etc. though I'm going to miss Spencer on the team), we know a lot of Conti Challenge drivers and teams and it's pretty darn competitive
Sure, the DP cars are not the most attractive. But it's still usually pretty good racing. and since many of us haven't been able to watch ALMS for years....its MUCH better than NASCAR circle track racing!

Plus, with only one series, there will be much better overall talent behind the wheels. I see consolidation as a good thing ....as long as it doesn't become NASCAR on road courses...
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by joeykid
Too many classes. This is what ruined ALMS. Even an avid fan couldnt tell the classes apart. When you have to go to color coding on the TV screen to differentiate the classes you know you have a problem. No one was watching ALMS, look at the lack of TV coverage to prove that point. Keep it simple.

Grand Am won this battle of the brands because they kept it simple. It was easy to watch. DP cars and GT cars. Easy on the eyes.

ALMS top prototype class had two cars and the LMP classes were Indistinguishable.

I hope they reconsider and can come up with a format of no more than three classes.

+1

I sincerely hope this unified mess does not fu**up sports car racing in the U.S.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is fundamentally the structure I expected.
Any structure will leave room for complaint, but I can explain the reasoning behind some of the less popular choices.
A successful series MUST have good car count. I believe that is absolutely the most critical variable in a series. The trade-off is too many classes. As the new series matures, I expect one or more classes will be dissolved. Grand Am had 5 classes in 2001, IIRC, and by 2005, they had 2.
ALMS GT is a huge, popular class with huge manufacturer support. No brainer.
LPMC was the biggest class after GT in ALMS, retaining it makes sense.
DP has been Grand Am's premier class, and to dump it or make it not the premier class would alienate the teams running them horribly, and those teams have supported the series for years. DP cars are heavily handicapped with restricted engines, spec tires and tiny wings. Making them faster will be easy.
LMP is the fan favorite, but dropping P1 with 2 cars is no loss. They did not fit well either - too fast. Retaining P2 is good enough, and mixing them with DP strengthens the class if balanced well.
Grand Am GT and GTC are very dissimilar now, but the 991 cup is perfectly timed to fix this. Something like a restrictor and/or weight penalty on the Grand Am 997 cup will put them in line with a stock/GTC 991 cup.

Quick Reply: Grand Am/ALMS Friday Press Conf.