Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What 911 would you buy under $25k for track/weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J richard
A track prepped 92-93 964 C2

Bulletproof 3.6, G50 trans, great on the street and fast on the track, simple platform with none of the M96 motor weaknesses. Get a PPI.
+1
Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Missed this one but hell of a lot of car for the money, more out there like this...put the same money in this you'd put in a 996 an it would be a fast track car...

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-marketplace-old/688421-1991-c2-coupe-gp-white.html
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 AM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cec3
don't think i have any pics but....one front (245 on 8.5") in trunk, one rear (275 on 11") in back on top of harness bar (i have reclining recaro sportster cs seats), one front/one rear standing upright side by side on passenger seat (tire rack covers) with seat belt threaded through wheels to help prevent flying objects in case of unplanned maneuvers, jacks/etc on passenger floor, small cooler & duffle under harness bar, folding chair in way back, small toolbox/impact driver can also fit in trunk. certainly not the safest setup but it does all fit without too much effort
Thanks for the info, may have to give it a shot.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
There is a 43K mile 2000 996 in the PCA classifieds for $25,400 and a 99 with 104K (with a 55K motor) for $16500. Those would be hard to ignore in your situation.
Thanks for the leads! that 99 would definitely do the trick, with room left to do some longevity & safety prep.

don't think i have any pics but....one front (245 on 8.5") in trunk, one rear (275 on 11") in back on top of harness bar (i have reclining recaro sportster cs seats), one front/one rear standing upright side by side on passenger seat (tire rack covers) with seat belt threaded through wheels to help prevent flying objects in case of unplanned maneuvers, jacks/etc on passenger floor, small cooler & duffle under harness bar, folding chair in way back, small toolbox/impact driver can also fit in trunk. certainly not the safest setup but it does all fit without too much effort
Thanks for the details! As an aside, I'm no expert on tires but isn't stock 235 on 8.5 and 295-305 on 11? Your setup sounds wide up front and skinny in the back for those widths, is there a performance reason for that?

Originally Posted by g-50cab
I just went through this and went older. I did this for a number of reasons. #1 it's not necessary for me to win DE. There will be plenty of GT3RS and above that get the prize at the end of the day. I wanted a car where the consumables were reasonable. I wanted a car where I could do 95% of the work myself. I wanted a car for when I showed up at a car event that it had enough presence that I was actually happy to drive and own it.
The 993 was on my list = but to get a decent suspension on it takes some money. Most recommended going straight to a 996 to be fast.

A well set up 996 with a good driver can get into GT3 territory in very quick order. After driving a torsion bar car for years I can tell you that I'm comfortable getting into the right seat of just about anything and instructing. The 996 and GT3's are so easy fast they can make a medium to good driver feel like they are the next Fangio...
My wish list is much the same as yours. I do not currently know how to do the work myself, but I'd be more than happy to learn on a car that lent itself to that. Does the 996 complicate too much to learn to wrench on it? What did you end up going with? I see it there in your avatar, but I'm not adept at visually identifying the variants that came before the 993.

Missed this one but hell of a lot of car for the money, more out there like this...put the same money in this you'd put in a 996 an it would be a fast track car...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688421
Indeed, this one would have been quite attractive. I have both the luxury and the curse of starting my search now, a few months before I'm really ready to pull the trigger. It's great because it forces me to search and deliberate, but also a pain if the right one comes and goes and I don't have my ducks lined up yet.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:49 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Or you might screw up a car that is worth something, glass being half empty and all...
True. But I also live in a world where if I can't ball it up and walk away from it without bankrupting myself, I don't get on the track at all. The second I leave the pits, if I don't consider it a disposable vehicle, I've got no business being out there in the first place.

I think this is why you see so many GT3 and 997TT owners who have E30s, Miatas, and Boxsters as racecars. While a dual purpose DE/street rod is a slightly different beast, I still personally treat it the same way.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
There is a 43K mile 2000 996 in the PCA classifieds for $25,400 and a 99 with 104K (with a 55K motor) for $16500. Those would be hard to ignore in your situation.
How many miles can you put on a 996 motor before it grenades or needs replace or can it be rebuilt.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 PM
cec3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sqweak
Thanks for the details! As an aside, I'm no expert on tires but isn't stock 235 on 8.5 and 295-305 on 11? Your setup sounds wide up front and skinny in the back for those widths, is there a performance reason for that?
Good observation - not an ideal setup, but it is the only way I can stay in my current TT class - can't go wider than 275. I went a little wider up front to dial out a bit of push on tight turns (i.e. carousel and keyhole at M-O) - alternatively I could apply a bit less pressure with my right foot or go softer on sways but still just playing around with setup to see what works best.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

My wish list is much the same as yours. I do not currently know how to do the work myself, but I'd be more than happy to learn on a car that lent itself to that. Does the 996 complicate too much to learn to wrench on it? What did you end up going with? I see it there in your avatar, but I'm not adept at visually identifying the variants that came before the 993.
Mine is a 1974 911s - which the previous owner installed metal flares. I made it into a IROC Tribute car.

This is my 3rd Porsche - the first one was a 1990 C2 Targa that I did nothing on (not even change the oil) then a 1987 Carrera that I ended up coming up through the ranks of DE with - then this car.

It has a 3.6 and 993 Brakes - so it goes pretty good too. But I have to pedal pretty hard to keep up with a 996/GT3 prepped car.

35 years of suspension technology will do that for you.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 84 Posts

You just missed mine by a few days. A tad higher than your $25k target, but man it would have been perfect for you:
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...s-aos-x74.html
Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

Good observation - not an ideal setup, but it is the only way I can stay in my current TT class
Oh, got it. Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by quickxotica
You just missed mine by a few days. A tad higher than your $25k target, but man it would have been perfect for you:
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...s-aos-x74.html
I saw! (and commented ) Good luck on your Spec911 search & season!

Mine is a 1974 911s - which the previous owner installed metal flares. I made it into a IROC Tribute car.
Very cool! I would love to track any of those hotrod ducktail tributes like that but completed ones seem to run out of my budget and I'm not skilled enough to build my own.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

This is my 3rd Porsche - the first one was a 1990 C2 Targa that I did nothing on (not even change the oil) then a 1987 Carrera that I ended up coming up through the ranks of DE with - then this car.

It has a 3.6 and 993 Brakes - so it goes pretty good too. But I have to pedal pretty hard to keep up with a 996/GT3 prepped car.

35 years of suspension technology will do that for you.
That is one gorgeous 911.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcjr
How many miles can you put on a 996 motor before it grenades or needs replace or can it be rebuilt.
They can be rebuilt and better than when they were new with some aftermarket parts designed to address some of the factory weaknesses. I'm not an expert, but from what I've read based on others' experiences, a remanufactured motor from Porsche is as likely to grenade as one from a junk yard. Or not. I've read about people with Accusump 996s that have grenaded and motors without them that have run well for several seasons.

I do have experience with air cooled motors on track and most seem to fail at the hands of the operator, me included. After blowing mine up, I borrowed a friend's SC motor for a race. It had 7 seasons on it, at about 6 race weekends per season, and was still pulling very well.

Another example is a friend who bought a street 87 911 with about 150K on the original motor. It has been a dedicated track car for over 6 years now, and with 165K it is finally getting rebuilt simply in the interest of getting more power to be competitive with all the other guys that have hot motors. It was still making 205 at the wheels before the tear down. Talk about bulletproof.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

this is another option

My buddy Joe took a TON of weight out of his 1987 911. Made for a very fast car with a 3.2

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ild-story.html
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts

A track prepped 92-93 964 C2

Bulletproof 3.6, G50 trans, great on the street and fast on the track, simple platform with none of the M96 motor weaknesses. Get a PPI.
Agree, I love this car but they are so damn heavy...they need a serious diet. Get that sun roof out of there. They also need wider wheels, the stock 7" front and 8" rears don't cut it, need at least 8" front, 9" rear.

The 964 motor is good for 250 HP to the rear wheels with headers, sport muffs/straight pipes and a chip. The headers and no heat can be a problem in the winter.

RS America is a little lighter, but no power steering. Good luck with the project...you won't find any RS America cars for 25K, but you can steal a 964 for less than 15K I believe.

Another cool little car, the 88 89 944 Turbo cars.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you had a ~25k budget, what 911 would you buy to dedicate to weekend/track?

Must remain streetable to drive to/from track, as trailer/tow vehicle is out of scope.

I've been all over the place, leaning towards pre 75 to be smog exempt but occasionally an SC catches my eye, i hear good things about 87-89, and as much as i hate the looks I can't deny the value of 996. I have no delusions of winning class championships, so i'm more interested in a good reliable platform for fun and learning.
I'm going to play the role of contrarian and tell you to buy something like a Boxster S and a servicable truck to tow it with so you can make it a dedicated track car, and put a cage in it. You can rent a trailer from U-Haul for about $100 for the weekend, which is a good option if you can stand the ribbing you'll get (math = storage of a trailer $50/mo = $600/year, or same cost as 6 events without buying a trailer).

I'm one of the more paranoid folks about safety, and though I've done it due to a wadded up track car, I don't like driving a street car on the track, and wouldn't count on it as a semi-permanent solution.

Quick Reply: What 911 would you buy under $25k for track/weekend?