Heat Cycling by machine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Only if he keeps off the grass; BAAAAAAAAWWWAAAHHHHH!!!!
Part of my strategy. Grass is easy on the tires.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,164 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Only if he keeps off the grass; BAAAAAAAAWWWAAAHHHHH!!!!
You are too, Kai!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-31-2012, 07:29 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike's one hell of a good guy and a great ambassador for our sport; it's my pleasure to have met him and raced with him.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
My experience is that heat cycling options offered by Tire Rack and Discount Tire DO, in fact, "ensure consistent results by maintaining key conditions during the heat cycle process." Much more so than 90% of the club-level, performance drivers that attempt to do this at the track.

First, it is true that all of the competition (R-compound and especially purpose built slick) tire manufacturers have a VERY specific "break in" procedure that determines not necessarily the performance level of the tire, but the DURABILITY and LENGTH of that initial, high performance level. It is a fact that proper break-in can materially improve, by multiples, the number of heat cycles and consistency of performance of a given tire.

Second, because drivers can't always execute the very specific "ramp up" of temperature or even reach the ultimate target temperature during DE or even club race practice sessions, let alone TT sessions, it's worth the money, if you have the time, to get this done by the selling vendor. In this case, Discount Tire.

For further discussion and research, I recommend Paul Haney's excellent book which deals only with the construction, function and health of competition tires in an on-track environment. It's a heavy read, but worth it.

The tire contact patch (and your management of it) is the be-all, end-all of your connection with this earth!

Important to stack the deck in your favor, as much as possible. <grin>
This is a very good explanation, and dead on. Our explanation of the service is here. :

As participation in autocrossing, track days, driving schools and road racing continues to grow in popularity, the tire manufacturers have developed unique DOT-legal competition tires which feature very sophisticated tread compounds. However just like other high performance parts, these tires will provide more consistent performance and last longer if they are properly broken-in.

The first time a competition tire is used is the most important. During that run, its tread compound is stretched, some of the weaker bonds between the rubber molecules will be broken (which generates some of the heat). If the tires are initially run too hard or too long, some of the stronger bonds will also be broken which will reduces the tire's grip and wear qualities. Running new tires through an easy heat cycle first, and allowing them to relax allows the rubber bonds to relink in a more uniform manner than they were originally manufactured. It actually makes them more consistent in strength and more resistant to losing their strength the next time they are used. An important heat cycling step is that after being brought up to temperature, the tires require a minimum of 24 to 48 hours to relax and reform the bonds between their rubber molecules.

Looking at the heat cycling system, it positions a mounted and inflated tire between rollers which apply pressure while the tire is rolled up to speed. It is very important to note that this allows heat to be generated as a result of deflecting (stretching) the tire within its normal operating range. There is no "artificial" heat added (no oven, no forced air, etc). Then they receive the stamp showing they are Tire Rack heat cycled.

Looking at the heat cycling system, it positions a mounted and inflated tire between rollers which apply pressure while the tire is rolled up to speed. It is very important to note that this allows heat to be generated as a result of deflecting (stretching) the tire within its normal operating range. There is no "artificial" heat added (no oven, no forced air, etc). Then they receive the stamp showing they are Tire Rack heat cycled.

Measuring the tread temperatures with a tire pyrometer we confirmed that in our controlled environment we were able to achieve appropriate and more consistent temperatures across the tire's tread without causing treadwear. All of these are significant improvements over heat cycling tires on our test track. And the 24 to 48 hour waiting period efficiently occurs while the tires are in transit to you. That means the tires are ready to use when they arrive!

The cost of heat cycling is $15 per tire. Hoosier, Kumho and Yokohama all recommend that their competition tires be "heat cycled" before being run in competition.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks, Damon!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:31 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Mike's one hell of a good guy and a great ambassador for our sport; it's my pleasure to have met him and raced with him.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Great thread! I may have to step up my budget and buy new tires (and have them heat cycled).
Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 924 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Great thread! I may have to step up my budget and buy new tires (and have them heat cycled).
More than the heat cycling - I've found I develop bad habits to drive around the old tires lack of grip.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Some of the best advice I've ever gotten from pros include stressing how its impossible to consistently tune a cars handling on old tires...
Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 AM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the Tire Rack website, new tires are mounted on a rim in order to undergo the heat cycling process. That means (for a set of four tires) FOUR mountings and FOUR dismountings...PLUS the time on the machine. I don't know about you, but that seems like a LOT of work for $60...and well-worth the dough. I sure wouldn't mount and unmount four tires for $60. My local Discount Tire shop charges me $20 just to mount a new tire that I've bought online (they lower the charge to $16 if they order the tire themselves). So that's $80 for mounting a set. During the heat cycling process, the tires are put ON a rim and taken OFF a rim for $60...PLUS heat cycled.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=66
Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Measuring the tread temperatures with a tire pyrometer we confirmed that in our controlled environment we were able to achieve appropriate and more consistent temperatures across the tire's tread without causing treadwear.
What is the temperature you achieve?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Remember, the temperature achieved in Tire Rack's or any other proper break-in procedure is NOT solely built by friction presented TO the tread face, the temperature achieved is a product of the movement of the belts internally and through the subsequent air pressure rise.

This is why accelerating and braking are the only true way to warm up a tire properly, from the inside out.

Watch the F1 guys. The only reason they go side-to-side is to knock the loose debris (pick-up) off so they're not skating on marbles when it comes time to go.

It's insane, the level of current tire technology. GM, Virginia Tech and a consortium of OEM tire manufacturers have put in a $15 MILLION+ dollar tire test laboratory across from my facility at VIR. This is a massive upgrade to CALSPAN, which has been the OEM test center of choice for more than a decade.

It was explained to me at a Vehicle Dynamics Seminar last month that tire companies have built test tires with hundreds of temperature sensors molded into the carcass to study the way the tire works. It's amazing...
Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
I'm looking at a set of Nitto NT-01 online at Discount Tires, ...
I tried to buy NT-01 from Discount Tire a couple of months ago. The local dealer would not sell them to me since the tire sizes I wanted did not have the correct load ratings dictated in their system's computer for my car.

Anyone else every come across this?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the great info Peter and Damon. This makes me wonder why the manufacturers don't do the heat cycling as the last part of the tire build.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:03 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Thanks for the great info Peter and Damon. This makes me wonder why the manufacturers don't do the heat cycling as the last part of the tire build.
After the first heat cycle, some (many?) tire models will have only so much time before they don't work so well. You don't want to start that clock when the tire is manufactured.

Scott

Quick Reply: Heat Cycling by machine?