Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Circuit of the Americas has cancelled all clubs' track events!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 02:53 PM
brave1heart
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Circuit of the Americas has cancelled all clubs' track events!!!

It looks very likely based on this news http://www.onehotlap.com/2012/12/and...d-goes-to.html that COTA is moving toward a private club type of organization similar to Monticello and Lime Rock Park. Only the F1 race, a new Grand Am race, as well as a few other high profile professional series' races have been confirmed for 2013. All clubs' HPDEs have been cancelled. This move is a total blow to all driving enthusiasts who were very supportive of getting the track off the ground. Here's how to help the track guys who want the track back http://www.facebook.com/COTABBR
Old 12-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

COTA press release. Smells like....manure:

Circuit of The Americas’ statement on track rental program

Circuit of The Americas™ today set the record straight on the venue’s track rental program and responded to questions raised in social media forums about the program’s future direction. “Circuit of The Americas currently offers a track rental program for organizations and clubs and private individuals that provides automotive enthusiasts with a world-class experience at the United States’ only purpose-built Formula 1™ facility,” Circuit spokesperson Julie Loignon said. “We have had inquiries and discussions with a number of organizations that are interested in renting our facility, and we’ve determined that we will not be able to work with all of them in the coming year. We have contacted organizations that did not have fully executed rental agreements to inform them of our decision. We regret not being able to assist them with a track rental in 2013 and hope there are other ways we can accommodate their interest in Circuit of The Americas in the future.”
Old 12-22-2012, 06:12 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Not enough days in the year
Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 PM
sonny1
Banned

Don't think this will happen,BIG business Flop if they do.
Sonny1.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Reversed:

Circuit of The Americas’ provides updated information on pending track rentals

Circuit of The Americas™ today announced that it would honor track rentals with four organizations that had booked track days and paid rental fees in advance. “We are moving ahead with these agreements and contacting clients so they can share this information with their members and customers,” Circuit spokesperson Julie Loignon said. “The executed rental agreements will limit the number of vehicles we have on track at any given time to ensure a fun and safe experience for participants, including any amateur drivers who will be participating. We regret the confusion that was caused as we worked through these issues with our clients and look forward to providing a one-of-a-kind experience to auto enthusiasts coming to Circuit of The Americas through our track rental program.”
Old 12-23-2012, 12:58 PM
brave1heart
Advanced

Their statement is moving things in the right direction. Small win for the track guys who jumped on their case! Their announcement does not say WHICH four organizations, though. More importantly, it does not mention any consideration for future rentals. It only addresses those which have been fully contracted and fully paid in advance in order to avoid lawsuits for breach of contract. NOTHING in this announcement gives me any comfort that COTA will be open to clubs once they fulfill their current contractual obligations.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:21 PM
brave1heart
Advanced

Small win for the track guys:
"The events had been canceled but now COTA says it will honor those contracts."

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/a...private-events
Old 12-23-2012, 03:34 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I won't be able to make it to anything before March, but I am happy for everyone involved. Very glad you will all get the chance to blast around those beautiful Corners. Like many of you, I was carving out my own personal apexes when I was there watching the race. (and praying I wouldn't look like the Ferrari Challenge car #78. lol) I will hopefully see you guys out there this summer. Have a blast!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:04 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by brave1heart
Their statement is moving things in the right direction. Small win for the track guys who jumped on their case! Their announcement does not say WHICH four organizations, though. More importantly, it does not mention any consideration for future rentals. It only addresses those which have been fully contracted and fully paid in advance in order to avoid lawsuits for breach of contract. NOTHING in this announcement gives me any comfort that COTA will be open to clubs once they fulfill their current contractual obligations.
Right now I know of 3 groups that are still a go. MVP HPDE Feb 1/3, SCCA Majors double race in March and BMWCCA Race/DE in June.

Peter
Old 12-24-2012, 12:08 AM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 4th may be a Motorcycle Track Day(s) Allan
Old 12-24-2012, 02:37 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

COTA has called me 3 times in the last week tryimg to sell me a PSL, that's clearly the direction they are going.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:26 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
COTA has called me 3 times in the last week tryimg to sell me a PSL, that's clearly the direction they are going.
Curious. What were their terms?
Old 12-26-2012, 12:32 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Curious. What were their terms?
We bought PSL mid year. Pretty sure terms are pretty standard and out there. 1 time lump sum grants license for 15 years, then you pay yearly ticket fee. In our case our yearly fee is less than the cost for F1 alone, covers F1 and V8SC and we have right to first refusal to all other events. F1 & V8 were all that were confirmed when we initiated, now that others are confirmed they may be part of the yearly obligation.

Anyone can feel free to pm me with questions on specifics.

Quick Reply: Circuit of the Americas has cancelled all clubs' track events!!!