Sponsored by:

bias ply vs radial set up difference

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 298 Likes on 189 Posts

Bob,

I switched to Goodyear radials a few years ago from their bias plies for my 914. I recall being surprised how little difference I noticed after the switch.

One option to consider if you would prefer to keep running bias plies is Hoosier bias slicks. I've not run them myself, but I've heard good things about them. Last I knew, they had pretty much the same sizes as Goodyear in their bias plies.

Scott
Old 12-14-2012, 02:28 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 670 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Bob,

I switched to Goodyear radials a few years ago from their bias plies for my 914. I recall being surprised how little difference I noticed after the switch.

One option to consider if you would prefer to keep running bias plies is Hoosier bias slicks. I've not run them myself, but I've heard good things about them. Last I knew, they had pretty much the same sizes as Goodyear in their bias plies.

Scott
I've run Hoosiers a lot too...but I found the Goodyears stayed 'good' much longer than the Hoosiers. Ran Hoosiers at Barber last weekend since I couldn't get Goodyear and my old ones were shot.

It's not that I WANT to run bias ply, it's that I cant seem to find radials the right size. Not much out there for wide, 16' wheels...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of our guys ran the Hoosier back-to-back with the Goodyears at the last event of the year (October) and he hated them. Slower and less forgiving at the limit. Gary is usually a tenth or two faster than me, but I trounced him all weekend (me on Goodyears, him on Hoosiers or older Goodyears). I'd have zero interest in switching to Hoosiers as a replacement.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:47 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 670 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
One of our guys ran the Hoosier back-to-back with the Goodyears at the last event of the year (October) and he hated them. Slower and less forgiving at the limit.
I'd like to believe thats why my lap times at Barber sucked....

I'd have zero interest in switching to Hoosiers as a replacement.
Not sure what choice we have if they stop making them???
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ps-beyond.html
Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of our guys ran the Hoosier back-to-back with the Goodyears at the last event of the year (October) and he hated them. Slower and less forgiving at the limit. Gary is usually a tenth or two faster than me, but I trounced him all weekend (me on Goodyears, him on Hoosiers or older Goodyears). I'd have zero interest in switching to Hoosiers as a replacement.
Tom - I've also had feedback that the Hoosiers are slower than the GY's. Do you know if your friend monitored the Hoo's to see if they wanted a slightly different setup than the GY's?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:09 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 884 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Eifeler
Tom - I've also had feedback that the Hoosiers are slower than the GY's. Do you know if your friend monitored the Hoo's to see if they wanted a slightly different setup than the GY's?
He ran them on a car setup for the Goodyear tires and made no setup changes. He seemed to think the tires worked best with hot pressures in the 25 to 27 psi range.

He used the R45B compound which may be too hard for our (PRC GTL) application. The R35A compound is the other option and we have not tried those yet.

I suspect that the tires don't require any different camber, caster, or toe settings. But, as Mike mentioned in the other thread, we may need to adjust spring rates because of sidewall construction stiffness differences.

The bottom line is that we have not spent enough time with the Hoosier tires to make a valid judgement.

Scott
Old 12-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts

Feedback is mixed on Hoosiers. I have been in touch with Hoosier management as have others from our area. We will see how they respond to the potential business opportunity. We will also see how Avon responds. This business may amount to more than $1M in TAM (total available market) in just a few of the part numbers Goodyear eliminated. Not sure about margins.

I am trying to identify development opportunities with both Hoosier and Avon so we wind up with tires that are as good or better than the Goodyears we have been running.

We already know the Avon pricing is likely to come in at $1600-1700 per set which is quite a bit more than what we have been paying for Goodyears, and more than the Hoosiers. Not sure there is any room to move that down.

Quick Reply: bias ply vs radial set up difference