Sponsored by:

Goodyear Racing Tires: Limited Production for 2013 and perhps beyond

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Goodyear Racing Tires: Limited Production for 2013 and perhps beyond

The news is out: Goodyear has decided to eliminate quite a few part numbers from their planned 2013 racing tire production. This is a bit of a "shot heard 'round the racing tire world."

I have seen the list of what they will make and it is a fraction of their previous slate of products. They announced this suddenly about two weeks ago, with orders that will go unfilled and no opportunity for a last time buy. My Goodyear contacts indicate that these part numbers will not be included in 2013 because other tires exhaust their capacity, and the part numbers they are eliminating don't amount to enough good business to increase production capacity.

I do not know all of the part numbers. The bias ply slick tires I have been using will not be made in 2013 and likely ever again. These are part numbers 1653 or 1651 for the front (11.5 x 16 and 10.5 x 16 respectively), and 1570 (13x16). All 430 compound. Also excluded are their 1571 part number bias ply slicks. I am not sure how many Porsche racers in other areas use these tires. I know some of the vintage Porsche guys use these tires.

There are some Goodyear radial tires that are listed for production that might work instead of these bias ply tires, but car setups would have to change significantly (including in some situations wheel diameters).

I have been using the Goodyear bias ply slicks for 10+ years and we have quite a few guys running them in my area.

We have been in touch with Hoosier, and they have a competing bias ply tire product. Some of us have tried these tires in the past and recently, and we are trying to learn even more about them. They do not seem to perform as well as the Goodyears.

Like everyone else, Hoosier have been caught off guard by Goodyear's announcement. It is not clear whether Hoosier can increase their capacity enough to fill orders from folks who will no longer be able to get the Goodyears. Nor is it clear whether they will do additional development work for products in their lineup that have not historically performed as well as the Goodyears. Time will tell.

We see that Avon has a wide range of products including some bias ply tires with specs similar to some of the eliminated Goodyear part numbers. It seems they may go after some of the business vacated by Goodyear. Avon performance and longevity is a bit of an unknown (at least to me and some of my contacts) in some of the Porsche applications of interest to me. We will see.

Last edited by Mahler9th; 12-13-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

The Avon's may be a worthwhile option. We have extensive experience around this part of the country with Goodyear, Hoosier and Avon bias-ply's on large displacement Production and Sports Cars and the Avon's do well here. We had to stand the camber up much more than the Hoosier and more than the Goodyears, nearly 0 degrees in front, but they work well.

Call Dave Handy at SascoSports in Alton, VA. (434) 822-7200. He can help you. He is a longtime Goodyear, Dunlop and Avon dealer.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Peter. One of my contacts is Dave's counterpart out here. His experience goes back to the 60's. Dave knows him... they do business.

Things are already afoot with Avon... more details to follow.

I am interested to connect with as many experts you have in your area that have specific experience with Avon's in 15 or 16 inch bias ply applications with Porsche 911 cars. Preferably light GT cars.

My SWAG is that Goodyear may convert a small percentage to active products. The lion's share will likely be up for grabs amongst the others. I am sure the better businesses amongst the others will be having careful strategic discussions about what might amount to unanticipated and meaningful revenue and margin opportunities. Perhaps a few hundred $k or more on the revenue side?

Sadly, some Goodyear-only racing businesses will have to downsize or ??? as a result of this action by Goodyear.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

Do we know the fate of the Eagle RS DOT slicks? I really like them.
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

I don't have a copy of the list. I am sure your distributor or dealer can tell you. Competition Tire East would know for sure. Their business is affected.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 731 Likes on 358 Posts

I tried to get the 1653's a few months ago and was told none were around so I got the Hoosiers. I've tried both in the past and always liked the Goodyears better, but I guess now I don't have much choice.
Wish someone made a comparable size in Radials to the 11.5 x 16...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Things are already afoot with Avon... more details to follow.

I am interested to connect with as many experts you have in your area that have specific experience with Avon's in 15 or 16 inch bias ply applications with Porsche 911 cars. Preferably light GT cars.
I hope you're right about Avon. My car is set up down to the bodywork for GY 16's in 23.5x10.5 and 25.5x12. The closest Hoosiers are to big. Been contemplating running TD's or trying to be happy with Hoosier DOT's.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

It would be nice to know how many avid Porsche racers have been using the bias ply part numbers that are NLA. Eventually the other companies like Hoosier and Avon will see the bias ply demand from those that don't convert to radial Goodyears or their own Goodyear products. But it could take a while before they figure it out. If they are conservative, we may see shortages.

It would also be nice if they did some development to bring existing tires/new tires to fill the gaps to the level of performance we are used to from the Goodyears. Competition may cause this.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
It would be nice to know how many avid Porsche racers have been using the bias ply part numbers that are NLA. Eventually the other companies like Hoosier and Avon will see the bias ply demand from those that don't convert to radial Goodyears or their own Goodyear products. But it could take a while before they figure it out. If they are conservative, we may see shortages.

It would also be nice if they did some development to bring existing tires/new tires to fill the gaps to the level of performance we are used to from the Goodyears. Competition may cause this.
Agreed. Hope more folks running GY's find this thread an chime in.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Well, the word will eventually get out when folks turn their attentions to racing in 2013. In other parts of the world, this may happen during the next few months (their summer). Perhaps in Australia and South Africa for example.

In the Porsche world, I hope the vintage guys get clued in. But I don't think those cars are driven near their limits often, and I don't think they run through multiple sets of tires each season. And I don't think they compete as hard in general. So as long as "something" is available, they may be okay.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

I called Penske. The entire RS DOT line has been discontinued. ;(

Thank you for contacting us and expressing an interest in using the Eagle RS in 2013. Decisions within Goodyear North America related to their Racing Division’s 2013 business will result in a reduction of sports car products that will be manufactured and available to us. Unfortunately for you and us, the Eagle RS product line will not be produced in 2013.

Last edited by Apex996; 12-17-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexComp
I called Penske. The entire RS DOT line has been discontinued. ;(
So, I guess they're no longer the contingency tire for 944 Cup... Too bad I got a set.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Have 1 set for sale, 225/45/15.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

so it sounds like they are quitting roadracing at the club level completely...
Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
I tried to get the 1653's a few months ago and was told none were around so I got the Hoosiers. I've tried both in the past and always liked the Goodyears better, but I guess now I don't have much choice.
Wish someone made a comparable size in Radials to the 11.5 x 16...

Bob,

Actually, GY's 23.5x10.5x16 radials (I use them) have essentially the same width as the bias ply 23.5x11.5x16 (what I used previously). Despite the name, the bias 11.5 is actually 10.6" wide, the exact size of the 10.5 radials. I just called Competition Tire East - the radials apparently haven't been discontinued, and they have 10.5" radials in stock. I hope this helps.

Scott

Quick Reply: Goodyear Racing Tires: Limited Production for 2013 and perhps beyond