Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-Car from Spec Box Roll Over at WSIR...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

kcpaz:
Are there advantages/disadvantages (besides weight) to adding more triangulated gussets, like used in the rear window and passenger side areas of your cage? For example, the upper left/right areas of the rear roof where the main hoop has 4 additional pieces welded.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 PM
kcpaz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only real disadvantage is weight (which is minimal). The advantages are a more rigid chassis, more roll over protection, and increased cage structural strength by continuing load paths throughout the entire cage. Sort of hard to describe without making a diagram.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:35 PM
bxtrbob
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cage Rules for BSR???

Just looked at the 2013 BSR rules for the POC and they have added "Attachment E" to the BSR cage requirements:

"22.1.1 Safety, Chassis, and Minimum Weight
A. Roll cages must comply with Appendix E..."

Only problem is they don't have an Appendix E posted. Anyone know what is going on???

Thanks,

Bob
Old 01-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bxtrbob
Just looked at the 2013 BSR rules for the POC and they have added "Attachment E" to the BSR cage requirements:

"22.1.1 Safety, Chassis, and Minimum Weight
A. Roll cages must comply with Appendix E..."

Only problem is they don't have an Appendix E posted. Anyone know what is going on???

Thanks,

Bob
Bob,

Appendix E did not change from 2012 and is posted on both the new and old websites.

Cheers,
Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This just showed up on You Tube (3:20):

Glad noboby was hurt.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

absolutely crazy that there were no yellows coming to the accident considering the dust had already had time to settle...

We had another spec Boxster roll over, in Turn 9 this time, at Willow Springs at our first event of the year earlier this month. Back to back race weekends with upside down Boxsters Luckily this one was much less severe and at a lower speed by the time it turned over. Everything held up well enough in the slower accident and the driver was fine. Car suffered some rear quarter damage and will be parted out soon if anyone needs anything.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eric523
We had another spec Boxster roll over, in Turn 9 this time, at Willow Springs at our first event of the year earlier this month.
Contact or ?

Hopefully, this will be the end of Boxsters (and any other car) rolling over for a very, very long time.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 AM
trygve
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by eric523
absolutely crazy that there were no yellows coming to the accident considering the dust had already had time to settle...
I agree -- except I *think* if you look closely at 3:15-3:17, it looks like the corner worker on the inside of T2 exit is actually switching from yellow to red, and as the in-car goes by the flagger has just dropped the yellow and is leaning down to grab the red. However, what about T2 entry? Not 100% clear in this video. And I also notice that at 2:50 as the in-car heads down the main straight, there is already a cloud of dust from the incident, which seems like an awfully long time between barrel roll and red flag deployment.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM
bxtrbob
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Contact on February 9 Roll Over

I took the video of the Dec 1 BSR roll over and then did it myself on Feb 9 at turn 9. No other cars were involoved, just a brain fart and trying too hard after having to start DFL.

My transponder wasn't on during qualifying but my in-car time would have been good enough for 2nd, 3rd if it was off by a few 100's. But, I had to start last. Passed about half the field and was all alone going into turn 9 and I could not find the apex. Drove off the outside and slid off sideways hitting a bale of hay with the driver's door that launched me into the air. I hit the ground on the right front of the roll cage, and then landed squarley on another bale. Unfortunately, the rear of the car hit the dirt berm and crunched the rear fenders, bumper cover, and exhaust system. The stock aluminum rear bumper, however, was not hurt at all--go figure.

Had a sore right calf driving home and remembered when I was getting out of the car, my right leg was on the passenger side. My calf and foot were black and blue in spots so I think my leg hit the shift housing and something else.

Bob

Quick Reply: In-Car from Spec Box Roll Over at WSIR...