consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
Axis of Oversteer sets out to prove that

1. Vettel is a ****.

and

2. He stole 4 points.

Regardless of what anyone says, or what the record books end up showing, Alonso won his 3rd WDC on Sunday.

Axis is F territory no doubt. But at least they got it right the second time around, their retraction today:

We looked up two things, an FIA track map with the marshaling positions indicated and a clearer copy of the onboard which you can see frame by frame from turn 3 on. I rocked the few frames where the marshal on the left side of the track is visible waving what, though not clear, we have to assume is a green flag. Vettel makes the pass after that green flag station so it's all legal.

Where did the confusion arise? Well, the light on Vettel's dashboard are still on at that point and stay on until he passes the next light station. The dashboard lights are perhaps tied to transponders at those light station as opposed to marshal positions (they don't always match) but flags still take precedence.

Below, laps 3 and part of 4, where Vettel passes the Marussia (notice the lack of top speed on the RB8 at this point) and then the Toro Rosso, Notice also that on lap 3 the flag station on the right at the exit of T3 is green while on lap 4 it becomes yellow and keep in mind the camera does not see as well as the human eye would in those conditions.

Final verdict? It was in fact heads up racing by Vettel, like a Champion would drive.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Before you call me out, look at the video on the link I posted. It's worth watching, if only for an intelligent argument.
Actually I did see that video before I responded. Yes, the pass on Vergne may have looked marginal, but then I searched some more and determined that the FIA Stewards had in fact reviewed that and other informed opinions (such as James Allen) had weighed in that it was OK.

What sealed the deal for me was that Ferrari has not protested. Ferrari, who would not blink to penalize their second driver with a “gearbox” (which I don’t disagree with by the way), is obviously a team that does not miss a trick when it comes to protests. If there was anything in this, it would have gone somewhere.

Plus, I wasn’t “calling you out”. You posted that Vettel was a "****" and "stole four points" and I responded with what I intended to be an reasoned counterpoint (sans name-calling).
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,494 Likes on 2,080 Posts

There is no bigger Ferrari F1 homer than me, but I don't get the wishing a DNF on anyone to win the WDC. Is that the way you want to win? By default? Not I.

The yellow flag situation was explained, no problem. I do think it's ridiculous that they do this in F1 to warn drivers of conditions. They are in open cockpits afterall and the best drivers in the world, I would imagine they know when it's raining...
Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
There is no bigger Ferrari F1 homer than me, but I don't get the wishing a DNF on anyone to win the WDC. Is that the way you want to win? By default? Not I.

The yellow flag situation was explained, no problem. I do think it's ridiculous that they do this in F1 to warn drivers of conditions. They are in open cockpits afterall and the best drivers in the world, I would imagine they know when it's raining...
If Alonso had won, I would have enjoyed it too, just not as much. F1 fan first.

The yellow/red lights were a horrible idea, potentially leading to more confusion and incidents than their intended purpose.

Regarding Senna, it was a first lap racing incident. Senna dived for a closing gap he KNEW was likely not going to be there when he arrived at apex but was hoping for a surprise pass. Vettel shut the door not expecting a car there, which you do at great risk at the start. In any case Senna is done, a footnote to the great one.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
It amazes me that Fred fans happily wished for a Vettel DNF, for a non-existant flag violation, anything except a fair fight, which is what we had and the better driver and team won.

Cry baby Luca saying his driver deserves it, WTF? More Ferrari entitlement that makes me dislike the team. What sort of sport is that?
I am not wishing for anything. I think it was extraordinary that Vettel was able to come from a lap 1 spin to come back and score the points he needed. Fernando drove the only race he could, and did as best as he could muster.

I would never wish a DNF on anyone, but the first lap shemozzle was certainly, at least partially, Vettel's fault. I am not "wishing for non-existant flag violations", but if there was a violation, I would expect him to be punished for it, because that is the definition of FAIR. I will concede that if there was a green flag being waved, that it was good heads up driving by the young champ, but given the information presented to me, I did not see any such green flag.

In the end, it is down to the FIA to make these decisions, and not I. I'll just sit back and keep watching the races happily.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:51 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would never wish a DNF on anyone, but the first lap shemozzle was certainly, at least partially, Vettel's fault.
I would disagree. If you watch the replay, Vettel does not drive down to the apex and leaves some room on the inside, maybe not a car width, but I've seen less room given at a NASA race than that.

Senna was not along side and was basically dive bombing the corner IMO.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I would disagree. If you watch the replay, Vettel does not drive down to the apex and leaves some room on the inside, maybe not a car width, but I've seen less room given at a NASA race than that.

Senna was not along side and was basically dive bombing the corner IMO.
Pete,

Don't bother, based on last couple of posts, it seems A. Wayne has taken Turbo Brad's identity...
Calling Alonso WDC based on that axis of BS is a clear evidence.

And Senna's crash was nothing else than dive bombing into a corner, sometimes works in motocross but has no place in F1, Williams did the absolute right thing by replacing him with Bottas, and even though you probably think so, I'm not saying it because Bottas is a Finn.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Williams did the absolute right thing by replacing him with Bottas, and even though you probably think so, I'm not saying it because Bottas is a Finn.
I absolutely think so. Why hide your bias, embrace it for all it's worth.

Congrats on the RLF1 title. Don't know how you have time to make changes with all the traveling you do, but I've got to do this next year.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:10 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

speaking of Finns, Lotus should can RoGro and put Heiki in the car, they'd get more points finishes out of him even if Ro is quick on a given lap
Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

^+1

I think Heiki would be a great choice for the second Lotus seat.

Romain certainly has speed (easily seen when looking at his qualifying record compared to Kimi), but he has had trouble getting away from those laspes that lead to crashes/retirements. Heiki would bring home points.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grosjean scored points in 10/20 races in 2012 in a Lotus and finished 8th with 3 podiums.
Heiki scored points in 7/17 races in 2009 in a McLaren and finished 12th with 0 podiums.

I'm certainly no fan of RG, but I'd take him over HK, I think. Genuinely curious why its thought Heiki would do better?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

looks like Lotus might be looking at Kamui

http://planetf1.com/driver/18227/829...rosjean-s-seat
Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 AM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Planet F1 are reporting Ferrari have asked for clarification on Sebs lap 4 pass possibly under a yellow flag...........a 20sec penalty would hand Freddy the championship by 1 point........I sure hope the FIA makes the right decision.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

The FIA has already made a decision

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...iting-insists/

Since I've already been slammed for being a Vettel hater and Ferrari worshipper at all costs, and for having no common sense or ability to have rational opinions, I shall not express my opinion on Vettel's pass of Vergne and the FIA ruling
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Non event. Clarification not protest. The extra yellows for "rain" are confusing and should be dropped as should the ability to cut a engine or tranny seal to move teammate up.

Quick Reply: 2012 Grand Prix of Brazil