Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:45 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RV knowledge and towing?

Thinking of getting a small RV to travel to races with. Are there small ones that have decent towing capacity? Ideally, one would have:

*simple and quick set up at the track
*generator
*good towing capacity...6000+?
*good gas/diesel mileage
*decent creature comforts
*reasonably economical in price (perhaps a year or two old)
*excellent air conditioning!

Also, what about when at the track? Small enough to go out and get a steak or take a motorcycle/small vehicle with you? (family may travel with me on occasion)

Thoughts, advice and warnings much appreciated!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps consider renting a couple times to make sure it's something you want.

It's been my experience that most of the smaller RV's are sitting on frames that don't have much capacity left for towing. Seems like you have to get up into the diesel pushers before there is sufficient capacity for a decent sized enclosed trailer.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I looked into this too and most gassers are built on F450 chasis with 5000 lbs towing capacity.

Unless you get a diesel pusher ($$) you are not getting much over that.

Marc
Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 PM
DanC
Advanced

Think about the ride quality too. Some of the shorter RVs have incredibly rough rides. It might be worth wandering around the paddock at the next few races and asking the current RV users what they like/don't like abut their current rig. They are usually more than happy to talk.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Good advice so far guys. Yeah, I noticed a couple at the last race. I will make it a point to track some down at the next one. Has to be a couple of good options out and would be simply awesome to chill in the ac and examine data, etc.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:46 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Dave Karl and Kristen got an F350 Dually (or something like that) to tow a much larger trailer (gooseneck) which which includes living quarters. They travel all over that way.

dan

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Thinking of getting a small RV to travel to races with. Are there small ones that have decent towing capacity? Ideally, one would have:

*simple and quick set up at the track
*generator
*good towing capacity...6000+?
*good gas/diesel mileage
*decent creature comforts
*reasonably economical in price (perhaps a year or two old)
*excellent air conditioning!

Also, what about when at the track? Small enough to go out and get a steak or take a motorcycle/small vehicle with you? (family may travel with me on occasion)

Thoughts, advice and warnings much appreciated!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I towed with a class C V-10 Ford. Loved it. Almost the same fuel mileage as a regular tow vehicle but had my fridge, bathroom, etc while traveling down the road with the kids. Loved waking up at the track. I never tried to break any speed records towing my 24 foot enclosed. It was not a lot of fun on really windy days but I recall saying the same thing about my dually/45 foot gooseneck too. I wish I would not have sold it. I have actually been perusing for another one.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll go in with you on it...
So long as we can convince our wives.... I know where you are headed, If she buys in then......

http://www.racingjunk.com/Tow-vehicl...8-Stacker.html
Old 11-06-2012, 01:52 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

What you're looking for will typically only tow 5k lbs. You'd have to go to a Class A or B diesel to get to 10k or 15k. If you have an open trailer, then you're okay, but any enclosed will most likely exceed that limit.

Keeping fresh in the a/c during hot summer months is certainly a plus.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:04 AM
flink
Advanced

It's very hard to find a small motorhome which is rated over 5,000 lbs. I spent a year researching, on and off. Really the only one I could find was the Chevy Express 3500HD based Roadtrek. I ended up buying a 2006 Roadtrek Popular 210. It's rated to tow 7,200. The 2000 models went as high as 9,600.

It does pretty well, tows OK and is great to have at the track. My only complaint is that the engine cooling seems weak - the needle gets up there towing up hills in summer. It's pretty flat around here and I get 9.5mpg towing at 60ish. That isn't great, but it takes 87 octane which eases the pain a little.

They're nice but expensive little suckers - asking price for a 2006 is around 50k. I picked mine up for 35k.

We did a several-day family roadtrip around LA in the thing. It's impossible to get into any parking structure (too tall), but I never had a problem parking it in outdoor lots.

If you have room to store a class C you might look into getting the frame strengthened or whatever else needs to be done to increase the towing capacity. But the result might still be scary to drive - the long rear overhang is a problem.

A 28' "Safari Trek" might suit.

A 2005ish Jayco Greyhawk 24SS might have the capacity.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
Dave Karl and Kristen got an F350 Dually (or something like that) to tow a much larger trailer (gooseneck) which which includes living quarters. They travel all over that way.

dan

Dave and kristen have a GMC 3500 dually and tow i think its a 42 foot trailer with living quarters (very nice ones) in front and a 1 car trailer in the rear...unhook and go into town as needed for gas/tires/repairs/etc. Their set up is pretty nice.

Need to make sure the tracks you frequent also allow camping as some dont.

We also have a few locals that do something similar with approx 42-45 ft goosenecks with a diesel of some sort.
I have also seen some enclosed trailers that you pull the car into to tow, pull the car out and couch/beds are then folded out and you use the place where the car was as the living quarters, kinda neat but not sure who makes them.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by John H
I towed with a class C V-10 Ford. Loved it. Almost the same fuel mileage as a regular tow vehicle but had my fridge, bathroom, etc while traveling down the road with the kids. Loved waking up at the track. I never tried to break any speed records towing my 24 foot enclosed. It was not a lot of fun on really windy days but I recall saying the same thing about my dually/45 foot gooseneck too. I wish I would not have sold it. I have actually been perusing for another one.
Exactly the reasons why I "think" I need one. Convenience would be awesome.
Originally Posted by 007DT
I'll go in with you on it...
So long as we can convince our wives.... I know where you are headed, If she buys in then......

http://www.racingjunk.com/Tow-vehicl...8-Stacker.html
Dave! My wife would love it, but my bank account would hate it! That thing is awesome!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:24 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pete
What you're looking for will typically only tow 5k lbs. You'd have to go to a Class A or B diesel to get to 10k or 15k. If you have an open trailer, then you're okay, but any enclosed will most likely exceed that limit.

Keeping fresh in the a/c during hot summer months is certainly a plus.
5K would do it with my open trailex, but it would be nice to have a little breathing room with the capacity.
Originally Posted by flink
It's very hard to find a small motorhome which is rated over 5,000 lbs. I spent a year researching, on and off. Really the only one I could find was the Chevy Express 3500HD based Roadtrek. I ended up buying a 2006 Roadtrek Popular 210. It's rated to tow 7,200. The 2000 models went as high as 9,600.

It does pretty well, tows OK and is great to have at the track. My only complaint is that the engine cooling seems weak - the needle gets up there towing up hills in summer. It's pretty flat around here and I get 9.5mpg towing at 60ish. That isn't great, but it takes 87 octane which eases the pain a little.

They're nice but expensive little suckers - asking price for a 2006 is around 50k. I picked mine up for 35k.

We did a several-day family roadtrip around LA in the thing. It's impossible to get into any parking structure (too tall), but I never had a problem parking it in outdoor lots.

If you have room to store a class C you might look into getting the frame strengthened or whatever else needs to be done to increase the towing capacity. But the result might still be scary to drive - the long rear overhang is a problem.

A 28' "Safari Trek" might suit.

A 2005ish Jayco Greyhawk 24SS might have the capacity.
Cool, thanks! I will check into those models.

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Dave and kristen have a GMC 3500 dually and tow i think its a 42 foot trailer with living quarters (very nice ones) in front and a 1 car trailer in the rear...unhook and go into town as needed for gas/tires/repairs/etc. Their set up is pretty nice.

Need to make sure the tracks you frequent also allow camping as some dont.

We also have a few locals that do something similar with approx 42-45 ft goosenecks with a diesel of some sort.
I have also seen some enclosed trailers that you pull the car into to tow, pull the car out and couch/beds are then folded out and you use the place where the car was as the living quarters, kinda neat but not sure who makes them.
I've looked at some trailer solutions and they all require a monster tow vehicle. I just need something small anyway. After dressing in a non-ac car hauler for the last 4 years, even a small unit will be great.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
5K would do it with my open trailex, but it would be nice to have a little breathing room with the capacity.
We've rented a few C Class RV's and think they all had right around a 5K tow rating. Plenty of power with the 8.1L gasser. Not sure if it was the long overhang behind the rear axle or because we were towing near the rated max (open trailer with extra wheels, tools, etc.) but it was NOT a stable platform. If I was going to purchase something to use on a regular basis it would definitely have to be on a bigger chassis.

G/L
Old 11-06-2012, 07:58 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd love an Earthroamer but way too much. For a smaller RV built on a F450/550 with big towing capacity it's hard to beat Host:

http://www.hostcampers.com/graphics/...exterior_6.jpg

I've been renting bigger class C, Supernova and Dynamax, built on large commercial trucks with the tow capacity. It's too big for just the two of us but if you had family along it would be perfect.

Quick Reply: RV knowledge and towing?