Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Petit Le Mans ABC Coverage Rant!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Jim W
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petit Le Mans ABC Coverage Rant!

Ranting...
I had the funny idea I would be able to see some of the racing at Petit Le Mans. I know you can't squeeze ten hours down to two but it helps if you don't spend so much precious time on pit stops, garage repairs, Green X challenge, tire tips, SCCA racing promos, history lessons, not to mention local Cub Scout activities (sarc) and commercials. I felt like I saw 15 minutes of actual racing.
Rant over. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:08 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim W
Ranting...
I had the funny idea I would be able to see some of the racing at Petit Le Mans. I know you can't squeeze ten hours down to two but it helps if you don't spend so much precious time on pit stops, garage repairs, Green X challenge, tire tips, SCCA racing promos, history lessons, not to mention local Cub Scout activities (sarc) and commercials. I felt like I saw 15 minutes of actual racing.
Rant over. Thanks for letting me vent.
The pit stops and garage repairs are some of the most entertaining parts! I always find the garage repairs where they have to find weird problems or tear into the cars interesting and the pit stops, especially the ones that go wrong, are always fun to watch, that's where a lot of the drama is sometimes and races are won and lost that way. But I also caught some of it live and the announcers on ABC were terrible and the tape delay coverage on those channels is always ****. So I was dissapointed as well with the ABC coverage.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:15 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not just ABC that stinks at racing coverage as FOX has proven on numerous occasions. Too bad that major networks fail so miserably. It will be interesting to see what NBC does with F1 next year.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 AM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
It's not just ABC that stinks at racing coverage as FOX has proven on numerous occasions. Too bad that major networks fail so miserably. It will be interesting to see what NBC does with F1 next year.
Oh yes I agree Fox has been terrible as well. I don't have high hope for NBC at all but hope I will be pleasantly surprised
Old 10-22-2012, 03:50 AM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

At least you only have to put up with 1 more year of horrible coverage before ALMS dies forever!

Gross incompetence is how I would use to describe the entire season of coverage.

I've watched both WEC and ALMS streams. Whoever is directing WEC's coverage knows how to watch a race, must pay attention to telemetry. They tend to catch passes, and important events while doing it live. Whoever is putting together ALMS knows how to focus on a stationary car receiving a 2 minute stop and hold penalty while missing the pass for the GT class lead. ALMS coverage also knows how to cut away from a battle to show some random class leader with an 8 second lead. I don't need to see pit reporters interviewing people, ever. The sound is enough. Picture in Picture and split screen allows you to show 2 things at once! Like a crucial pitstop, while not cutting away from an actual on track race.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 658 Likes on 320 Posts

Watched the race in real time on Saturday through streaming of ESPN3, got laptop hooked up to big screen TV. Coverage was great with good commentary I think this is the future and beats the hell out of the network coverage I have seen so far.
Rich
Old 10-22-2012, 12:10 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Watched the race in real time on Saturday through streaming of ESPN3, got laptop hooked up to big screen TV. Coverage was great with good commentary I think this is the future and beats the hell out of the network coverage I have seen so far.
Rich
Agree 100%
Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just appreciate being able to watch the races with an Internet subscription that I actually use. There is no way I am paying $100/month+ for television service when I can watch most of what I want to see (and most of what you can see on the TV) online legally. Furthermore, my TV grabs all of this online content itself, without an external box or hooking up a laptop, and the price was comparable to other "dumb" TVs with similar specs. Streaming is the future, my kids (should I ever have any) will see cable and satellite TV as I see newspapers and weekly news magazines.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Rich
+1
We did the same thing through my son's Xbox. It worked great.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:02 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 654 Likes on 332 Posts

Rich
Unfortunately...some of us can't get that...

Not that it matters... but can you 'DVR' ESPN3 coverage?

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Not that it matters... but can you 'DVR' ESPN3 coverage?
No, but is archived on the ALMS site. ESPN3 keeps a replay for about a week.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

You could have watched the replay of the whole race on Sunday on ESPN3.

ONLY 141 DAYS TILL THE GATES OPEN AT SEBRING!!! I GOTTA BOOK SOME FLIGHTS!!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 654 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpine951
You could have watched the replay of the whole race on Sunday on ESPN3.
Except some of us can't get ESPN3...

Quick Reply: Petit Le Mans ABC Coverage Rant!