Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chin Motorsports / Road Atlanta situation

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

My wife put it in the wall at the kink at Road America during a DE a few years ago - pretty big impact but the car spun and backed into the barrier. She was taken off the track in an ambulance, taken to the onsite medical center and was evaluated for about an hour by the onsite doctor before she was released. I really would expect nothing less after a big hit and was grateful to all the medical staff.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

I'm awfully addicted to this sport but if I had to go on a blood thinner I would give it up. Falling off a ladder is sometimes enough to kill patients on blood thinners let alone driving a race car into something hard. If this really was the case, it shows extraordinarily bad judgement.

Sorry if I'm out of line.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

From an event operators standpoint, you fellows haven't seen the health information (and drug protocols) many of your fellow DE and Club Racing compatriots provide. Nobody can share this info due to HIPAA, but THAT is truly scary!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-21-2012, 11:31 PM
bsavino
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

First off my condolences. I agree that HIPAA (for those that are not in the medical field, this is a ruling that protects patients' medical info and privacy from others, in short) has a lot to do with ones protection and privacy, but if you are taking any medications or have any medical illness or problem, you are risking your life as well as the lives of others, only difference is, you know what you are doing and what your problem is, your fellow drivers around you have no clue. DE's are made more safe because of the ability for each driver in their skill level to communicate and be aware of their fellow drivers' actions, and anticipate certain actions, ie passing with point bys, communicating with pit out, etc. By going on the track with a medical condition and no disclosure, you put everyone at risk. I am a an internal medicine physician and see patients who drive and very well shouldn't for risk of hurting themselves or others. This is a touchy subject because its difficult to tell someone what they can and can't or shouldn't do. My approach with my patients is to politely explain, how would you like it if it happened to you....then they get it....i would hate to see event organizers making a car inspection as well as a medical physical a requirement to get on the track. Just my opinion....
Old 10-22-2012, 01:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Awful Story. RIP Walter.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Words seem inadaquate at Times like theses. I am shocked by the accounts that they had to go find the medic, i agree that perhaps its time we stop listiting to the patient in a crash and the rules be simply that they have to go to the hospital fo observation. I have had a crash and felt fine afterward. Unfortunalty now looking back the was a fair amount of shock clouding my judgement, testrostone making me naturally refuse treatment, and someone should have interviewed and said its the rules no ifs ands orbits, you come to a event, you crash you must go the hospital. I was lucky but should we still be forced to depend on our own scrambled judgement. It's time for organizers to change the rules, are there any out there willing to be first. You know everyone will follow.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:11 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Again, responsible and cautious track EMS personnel have protocols in place to try and avoid this.

Almost every track I visit requires not only a trip to the EMS facility on-site in the ambulance if the car cannot be driven back to the paddock, but also requires that the driver sign a release if there is any question of injury, care at the facility or transport to the local ER or hospital for evaluation.

Nine times out of ten (it seems to me), people sign that release and leave the care of the EMS team against medical advice. I've seen it happen many times, rarely with repercussions, but still...

I think event organizers should (and many do) incorporate this sort of protocol in their disaster plans for operating an event. We should collectively do what we can to promote the best practices for care in an incident, of any kind.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:49 AM
MikeJim
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a track does not have on-track medical facilities, are you suggesting that everyone whose car can't be driven back to the paddock be transported to a hospital? Let's see: That would mean shutting down the event until the ambulance returns? Making a driver sit all day in a crowded emergency room (probably without his/her wallet/purse, insurance ID, or credit card). And without any way to get back to the track from the hospital. I've been to events where a driver has been transported, and the whole thing comes to a grinding halt.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I know of no recognized track that does not have an on-site facility equipped enough for a quick and basic evaluation. ALS ambulances are commonly attending these events and these folks are adequately trained to perform initial evaluations to determine whether someone involved in an incident sufficient to disable the motive capability of a car should be transported to the nearest trauma hospital.

It's gotta be a really good hit these days before someone is transported, generally. Probably a result of safer cars, driver gear and track safety.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:35 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

If you have been in an accident, on or off track, you are sent to a trauma center not a regular ER waiting room where everyone else wityh UTIs, coughs and colds are also waiting in line. In a trauma center, the care is immediate. Of course, care of the driver should begin on-site by EMS personnel, and they will determine trhe appropriate level of trauma care required and also the type of transportation needed, ie. air-lift or gground. There is a country wide protocol in place for trauma care.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeJim
If a track does not have on-track medical facilities, are you suggesting that everyone whose car can't be driven back to the paddock be transported to a hospital? Let's see: That would mean shutting down the event until the ambulance returns? Making a driver sit all day in a crowded emergency room (probably without his/her wallet/purse, insurance ID, or credit card). And without any way to get back to the track from the hospital. I've been to events where a driver has been transported, and the whole thing comes to a grinding halt.
I'll give up some track time so my fellow driver can get to the hospital to be checked out. But, as Peter said, all the tracks I go to have a medical building that is sufficient to check people out.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

You guys are willing to trust your lives to the judgement of the EMT driving the ambulance??

Scott

Quick Reply: Chin Motorsports / Road Atlanta situation