Scary accident with Deltawing and P car

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Default Scary accident with Deltawing and P car

Testing at Road Atlanta. Driver's head looks like it scoops/hits ground. Nearly the samething happened at Le Mans. Wonder if they should paint if bright orange because people may not be able to see it or the current color blends into the background and/or asphalt?

Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Looks like he didn't pass the broomstick test.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow! big crash. saw the pics this afternoon but had no idea....

a few thoughts:
-not the first time this year a Green Hornet driver punted a prototype...
-looks like the Green Hornet driver got a bit out of shape on exit and made a big correction, sending him into the car (i.e. I don't think it was an "I didn't see him" issue but a "I lost it" issue)
-I don't think a "normal" P1/P2/PC car would have flipped that easily....I think it would have stayed right side up
-definite helmet to ground contact. yikes.

Gunnar is okay, and supposedly the car will be repaired for the race. good news on both fronts.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmm, well Gunnar tweeted about 20 minutes ago that his helmet did not hit the ground.....
Old 10-17-2012, 11:11 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Glad he's okay and his head didn't hit the ground. His helmet did hit the side of the cockpit enough to chip the paint or foam.

That Deltawing looks so amazing. Just look how late he can brake after the long back straight!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Jeebus, that was sketchy. That is a super dangerous area of RA. Didn't mark donahue crash there bad in a 917? I saw two formula atlantic cars come together just past the bridge in 1991 at the runoffs, and there was a roll-hoop failure....
Old 10-18-2012, 08:10 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! That was scary. Looked like his head hit the ground to me. That car should have some sort of rollover protection and a different color is a good idea.

I was watching it test last Sunday and it really looked cool on track. I hope it finishes the race. It would be nice to get some idea of what it is capable of.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Jeebus, that was sketchy. That is a super dangerous area of RA. Didn't mark donahue crash there bad in a 917? I saw two formula atlantic cars come together just past the bridge in 1991 at the runoffs, and there was a roll-hoop failure....
I don't know. That's been a prime passing area for cars at Road Atlanta for 42 years, in both configurations. Mark's accident was elsewhere on the backstraight.

Scott Liebler, a very good Atlantic racer, was killed there in 1989 at the RunOffs when he was launched over the back of another and came down upside down, breaking the roll hoop. Very sad... RIP, Scott.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
-I don't think a "normal" P1/P2/PC car would have flipped that easily....I think it would have stayed right side up
This is true, but I think some stability was probably lost since the tires were unloading cresting the hill. Pretty sure this contributed to how easily it flipped. Did it make a big difference? I have no idea.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
...I don't think a "normal" P1/P2/PC car would have flipped that easily....I think it would have stayed right side up...
+1

Of course not. This is the obvious flaw with this stupid design.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Flying Finn; 10-18-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:51 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Best Top Gear episode ever...

Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Leica356
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure any car would have been in good shape cresting the hill in that situation but it seemed to high side pretty easily!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't this why the new Can-Am Spyders have the two wheels in the front and not in the rear?

Three-wheeled atvs when out of style years ago because they were unsafe.

The delta wing might be good when stable, but nothing is stable in racing situations. There has been plenty of contact at turns 11/12 through the years, but I don't remember anything else flipping like that. Lots of spins, but no flipping.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
Isn't this why the new Can-Am Spyders have the two wheels in the front and not in the rear?

Three-wheeled atvs when out of style years ago because they were unsafe.

The delta wing might be good when stable, but nothing is stable in racing situations. There has been plenty of contact at turns 11/12 through the years, but I don't remember anything else flipping like that. Lots of spins, but no flipping.
The Can-Am can still rollover (well, not if the ESC is operational), but its rollover axis is in the opposite direction, angled backwards compared to the Delta Wing. The issue here is that the rollover axis of the car is defined by a line connecting the front outside and rear outside wheels. So, if you apply a force high enough up on the car (like from a GT car) the moment about the rollover axis for the 3 wheeler is significantly greater than that same moment would be if it had 4 wheels in a traditional location. That's why a Reliant Robin is so unstable if you try and brake and turn and why a Spyder is unstable if you try and accelerate and turn.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:13 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad Gunnar is okay, that was pretty bad.

a few thoughts:

- maybe flat black isn't the best color for a car that is already difficult to see due to the shape

- the ALMS wants Deltawing (maybe 2) to race the whole 2013 season, they better make it more robust if they expect to finish any races

- Any word on what this this is actually running for weight and HP? It is well known they are running a lot more power than the press releases reveal, making design comparisons to LMP1/2 pointless since the weight/hp ratios are different

- How come Marino Franchitti and the other drivers who got no seat time at Lemans aren't driving this weekend?

Quick Reply: Scary accident with Deltawing and P car