Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

I hate baseball. This sucks.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:03 AM
its about time...
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito

a shame, but Fox bought SPEED to become the "NASCAR Channel" only to discover that people can only handle about 50 hours of NASCAR coverage a week before they get bored into a coma. so SPEED goes by by; not a huge loss, as the network has been on the decline for at least 5 years but still a shame. Speedvision was awesome, back in the day.
I had a sick feeling in my gut when Fox bought Speedvision and now it's blossomed. Speed has been the only source for road racing coverage in the US; now with F1 gone and stick & ball sports infesting yet another network, it's only a matter of time until Rolex/ALMS and Le Mans are gone, too.

NBC will time-shift, time-compress and generally drive the last nails in the coffin of US F1 coverage. Anyone remember ABC doing Monza and Monaco?

Would someone post the streaming/download sources from Sky or whatnot? Might as well find out where they are and start getting used to them
Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

Guess a racingfor.me invite is on the to do list before the 2013 season.

Or someone needs to come up with a better ESPN3/Speed2 online package that is not dependent on the cable provider signing up.

Last edited by Kein_Ersatz; 10-13-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
...I don't mind the crew that much but they need to add someone more relevant (former driver) and send them to the races.
Have to add a bit, my biggest problem with current Speed broadcast and their commentators...

WHY DOES EVERY BROADCAST HAVE TO BE LIKE "F1 FOR DUMMIES"?!?!

All the quali rules are explained, DRS etc. etc. every time!
I don't see this in other sports in US, imagine Monday night football where every rule are explained every time?

I've never seen anywhere F1 broadcast to be as dumbed down as this. Seriously, if people watching F1 are that dumb, let them be and make the broadcast the way it should be.
Just copy what BBC does or let then do it.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by its about time...

Would someone post the streaming/download sources from Sky or whatnot? Might as well find out where they are and start getting used to them
You need a subscription for Sky.

R+C
Old 10-13-2012, 12:39 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 569 Posts

I still miss Speedvision... wonder if the guys will move over to the NBC side. Robin Miller is on both Speed and NBC doing Indycar so who knows. Varsha is too smart to stay with some watered down stick and ball station, or at least I hope so.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:46 PM
palos
1st Gear

I can't wait for the canned interviews to be shown during the most critical pass of the race. Or perhaps seeing Bob Costas sitting in front of a roaring fireplace in September/October in Singapore, waiting for the winner of the race to stop by and chat. Those are such special moments. Of course the race will be tape delayed for our viewing enjoyment, at least if you are on the East coast.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:47 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

my guess is that this is BAD for F1 fans. We needed a niche station like Speed to be able to afford to broadcast F1 -- since there just aren't too many viewers for it in the USA.

Unless NBC will show it on some niche network they have (do they have one?), they will only show a few of the races, and with poor commentary.

Again, just my uninformed guess $.02
Old 10-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Somewhat off topic but I'm watching the Continental ST race from Lime Rock and it says "Fox Sports Speed" in the corner of my screen.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:14 PM
its about time...
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Somewhat off topic but I'm watching the Continental ST race from Lime Rock and it says "Fox Sports Speed" in the corner of my screen.
yeah, noticed that on F1 qualifying last night. so it begins...
Old 10-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
You need a subscription for Sky.

R+C
Can you do that in US?
Old 10-13-2012, 06:51 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Think the 4 CBS race broadcasts per year from a few years ago and you get the picture on how NBC will treat this.

I think they do the F1 for Dummies style for newer viewer that appear to be attracted from NASCAR. There appear to be more and more nascar fans interested in F1.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:34 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 658 Likes on 320 Posts

Not really great timing for the broadcast switch just when we get 1 maybe 2 F1 races here in the states. One of the reasons I bought an F1 ticket to Austin was from what I have seen on Speed all these years, why else woud I be up at 1AM today and 1:30AM tomorrow
Rich
Old 10-14-2012, 02:38 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

I don't hold my breath for good coverage by NBC. Mostly the non Speed Networks use commentators who can't even pronounce the driver's names correctly! Imagine how they will try and explain F-1 rules with a NASCAR mentality!

Perhaps it will be a blessing and less painful to watch if they do not broadcast all the races.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I predict minimal change overall in what we get. Will be done on the NBCSN which was formerly VS which has done Indy for a while and had done the Tour de France for years. They have the skills to handle it.

Quick Reply: F1 leaving Speed in 2013?