Sponsored by:

F1 leaving Speed in 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:27 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F1 leaving Speed in 2013?

Just saw an article on SpeedTV.com saying F1 has switched media partners for 2013. Anyone know any details?

Sorry I don't know how to post the link from my Ipad...
Old 10-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like Speed is going away. Strong rumor NBC Sports won the rights, but no announcement yet.
http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/ar...er-this-season
The departure of F1 comes as Fox Sports moves closer to rebranding its motorsports network into a broad-based national sports network. Fox has not commented on the rebranded channel, expected to be called Fox Sports 1, but it is expected to be heavily utilized in the eight-year television contract announced earlier this month with Major League Baseball.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:09 PM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Auto week...

The Speed cable channel will end its 17-year relationship with Formula One after this season, The Associated Press has learned.
Two people familiar with the negotiations said F1 was in talks with NBC for U.S. broadcast rights, and the contract would not be renewed with Speed. The people spoke Friday on condition of anonymity because there was no official announcement.
NBC did not immediately respond to a request for comment, nor did a spokesman for Speed.
The series' governing body, FIA, declined comment, noting that TV deals are handled by Formula One Management. The series is in South Korea this week for the Korean Grand Prix.
Speed partnered with F1 in 1996 in the network's first full season on the air. Speed moved to live coverage in 1997, and has expanded to live coverage of qualifying and practice sessions of the most popular motorsports series in the world.
Broadcasting from a studio in Charlotte, the booth of Bob Varsha, Steve Matchett and David Hobbs is considered by many fans to be the best in motorsports. The excitable trio breathes excitement into often single-file racing, and closely follows storylines and strategy despite being halfway around the world from most of the tracks.
The departure of F1 comes as Speed parent company Fox moves closer to rebranding the motorsports network into a broad-based national sports network. Fox has not commented on the rebranded channel, expected to be called Fox Sports 1, but it is expected to be heavily utilized in the eight-year television contract announced earlier this month with Major League Baseball.
It's not clear what NBC would do with F1.
NBC Sports currently broadcasts the bulk of the U.S-based IndyCar Series, and announced last month a deal with Robby Gordon to televise the inaugural season of his Stadium Super Trucks. Gordon inked a deal that gets 12 races televised—seven of them on NBC. The television contract for IndyCar is split between ABC, which owns the network broadcast rights, and NBC Sports, which airs races on cable.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012...#ixzz296qonCUM
Old 10-12-2012, 03:13 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
the booth of Bob Varsha, Steve Matchett and David Hobbs is considered by many fans to be the best in motorsports.
LOLZ.

anyway, sad to see this going away (and the general demise of SPEED), hopefully NBC does something intelligent with it but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An article I stumbled upon said something to the effect of Fox is planning to turn SpeedTV into a national 24/7 sports network a la NBC Sports (formerly Versus) and ESPN. It mentioned that this was the logical step to broadcast more MLB coverage they have been bidding on. Speed network is already in millions of households instead of having to setup a new channel and gain distribution.

A shame, but at the same time, Speed has generally sucked for quite a while since being purchased by Fox.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:30 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Benton
An article I stumbled upon said something to the effect of Fox is planning to turn SpeedTV into a national 24/7 sports network a la NBC Sports (formerly Versus) and ESPN. It mentioned that this was the logical step to broadcast more MLB coverage they have been bidding on. Speed network is already in millions of households instead of having to setup a new channel and gain distribution.

A shame, but at the same time, Speed has generally sucked for quite a while since being purchased by Fox.
that is correct. it's basically going to be to Fox Sports what ESPN 2 is.

a shame, but Fox bought SPEED to become the "NASCAR Channel" only to discover that people can only handle about 50 hours of NASCAR coverage a week before they get bored into a coma. so SPEED goes by by; not a huge loss, as the network has been on the decline for at least 5 years but still a shame. Speedvision was awesome, back in the day.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:46 PM
gomez1
Racer

wow this sucks
Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This does suck. I agree that Speedvision was far superior to Speed TV.

I am not optimistic about who NBC will put in the booth, or whether or not they will broadcast practice and qualifying. Varsha was a little too much at times, but Steve Matchett was pretty good and Hobbs could always be counted on for a good line (how many of us use the term "clag" now?).

I kinda' see this as false positive: That is, NBC will carry F1 while there is momentum for the Austin and NJ races, but if interest should wane....
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This totally blows. You guys saw what NBC did to the Olympics. I can see it now nothing live and clueless announcers.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Speed stopped bradcasting F1 live quali and races into Canada years ago but does show practice 2.

Hobbs and Machett lived in the F1 world so there comments come over was very accurate...hope the somehow survive the downsize elsewhere.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It can't be anything but good, or if it isn't, it's going to be real sad.
Already, the fact that they broadcast from some studio here in US is bull****. Even the broadcast in Finland sends 3 announcers (one is former F1 driver, Mika Salo). Granted, Finland us huge motorsports country, but still, it's a country of 5 mil people so money wise nowhere near of the tiny audience (in US) of Speed.

I don't mind the crew that much but they need to add someone more relevant (former driver) and send them to the races.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

There is light at the end of the tunnel and it's not necessarily a train. There are places where one can either live stream or download a copy of the race from the Sky Sports or the BBC broadcasts and once you watch a race from either Sky Sports or the BBC you will realize how much better they are than Speed ever was. There is no way three guys sitting in a studio in North Carolina could ever be connected to the teams and the one guy Speed does have on the ground at the races is someone most of the teams don't really want to talk to. Watch a race from Sky Sports or the BBC and you will know what I speak of.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:40 PM
chrcook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a symptom of a bigger problem. The ever important 18-34 demographic is not watching motorsports in larger numbers, and actually declining numbers. Advertising and sponsor dollars are getting harder to land as moving billboards are not enough. Soon, online will the the only way to watch motorsports, other than NASCAR. Who knew ALMS was (unfortunately) being a pioneer.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:06 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

I'm not really interested in downloading and watching on a 15.6" screen. I've got 55" High Def, surround sound that makes it seem like I'm actually there when the volume is turned up during the pit audios.

DVR and I can watch whenever I want, still in HD.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
...Watch a race from Sky Sports or the BBC and you will know what I speak of.
+1
I don't mind the Speed broadcast, crew etc. that much but after watching race here and there (Italy which I think was Sky, multi cameras etc and then of course in London I watched the BBC crew and man it's from a different planet, soo good.

The best would be if BBCAmerica just started broadcasting the BBC stuff live...

Quick Reply: F1 leaving Speed in 2013?