Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

2012 Grand Prix of Korea

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
^ I was watching another feed and it wasn't mentioned. Thanks.
...had they not mentioned it I would have had no clue.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Ferrari is doing something right, as they have clearly developed a good car taking over 2nd place in the Constructor's Championship from McLaren. But Adrian Newey has to rank up there as one of the most brilliant people who has ever worked in F1. He continues to find new ways to make his designs the class of the field.

Finally my surprise result of the race was how well both Toro Rosso cars did. I am guessing Red Bull threw them a few bones, but not too many bones.
Disagree with the Ferrari/McLaren analysis and agree with the Toro Rosso analysis.

Ferrari isn't doing anything right at this point but rather treading water. Understand that there are only 2 possible (ie realistic) champions this year, Vettel and Alonso. Regardless of "mathimatically still alive" none of the other drivers will catch these two. As a result, all, with the exception of RBR and Ferrari, stopped developing their cars and have shifted resources to next years car and perhaps the 2014 car.

When Hamilton's car broke down two races ago and he declared that he was leaving the team, there was no way McLaren was going to pour more R&D into that chassis in a hopeless cause and possibly LH taking some of that new found knowledge or developments to Mercedes AMG.

With regard to Ferrari, they again have a faulty wind tunnel for the second time in as many years. Their car hasn't gotten better, but everyone elses have gone down with the exception of RBR and now Toro Rosso who I think have given the junior team some "ideas" on where to improve their cars.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Disagree with the Ferrari/McLaren analysis and agree with the Toro Rosso analysis.

Ferrari isn't doing anything right at this point but rather treading water. Understand that there are only 2 possible (ie realistic) champions this year, Vettel and Alonso. Regardless of "mathimatically still alive" none of the other drivers will catch these two. As a result, all, with the exception of RBR and Ferrari, stopped developing their cars and have shifted resources to next years car and perhaps the 2014 car.

When Hamilton's car broke down two races ago and he declared that he was leaving the team, there was no way McLaren was going to pour more R&D into that chassis in a hopeless cause and possibly LH taking some of that new found knowledge or developments to Mercedes AMG.

With regard to Ferrari, they again have a faulty wind tunnel for the second time in as many years. Their car hasn't gotten better, but everyone elses have gone down with the exception of RBR and now Toro Rosso who I think have given the junior team some "ideas" on where to improve their cars.
Pete, I agree with you in everything except that I don't really buy that whole "bad wind tunnel" talk Ferrari has used as explanation for their failures.

It could be the case but often a teams bring parts to track that have worked in wind tunnel but turned out to be bad in real life.

Typically only 10-30% of the new parts are good when they bring them to the track and they would not bring them had they not worked in wind tunnel.

IMO there has to be something else to it, faulty wind tunnel is a scapegoat.

P.S. Talking about Ferrari, they just confirmed Massa's one year deal for next season.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:26 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Pete, I agree with you in everything except that I don't really buy that whole "bad wind tunnel" talk Ferrari has used as explanation for their failures.

It could be the case but often a teams bring parts to track that have worked in wind tunnel but turned out to be bad in real life.

Typically only 10-30% of the new parts are good when they bring them to the track and they would not bring them had they not worked in wind tunnel.

P.S. Talking about Ferrari, they just confirmed Massa's one year deal for next season.
Still bitter about Ferrari canning Kimi? tsk tsk
Old 10-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Still bitter about Ferrari canning Kimi? tsk tsk
I fail to see how you can get that impression from my post? There's nothing even remotely related to Kimi?
Well, ok, you might get that impression from anything I say but how can anyone else get that impression is beyond me.

He's moved on, I've moved on, it's been years already, maybe you should also?

Besides I never was bitter about Ferrari canning Kimi, it was good they did it because they were not really behind him there.
But it worked out because he got the WDC out of it. Being an F1 WDC at Ferrari is way up there for anyone.

IMO he should've accepted McLaren's offer instead of going WRC but that's the way he rolls, he's not your typical F1 driver.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:27 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I fail to see how you can get that impression from my post? There's nothing even remotely related to Kimi?
Well, ok, you might get that impression from anything I say but how can anyone else get that impression is beyond me.

He's moved on, I've moved on, it's been years already, maybe you should also?

Besides I never was bitter about Ferrari canning Kimi, it was good they did it because they were not really behind him there.
But it worked out because he got the WDC out of it. Being an F1 WDC at Ferrari is way up there for anyone.

IMO he should've accepted McLaren's offer instead of going WRC but that's the way he rolls, he's not your typical F1 driver.
You mean your conspiracy theory about Ferrari using the wind-tunnel as an excuse is not in bitterness?
Forgive me if I saw it wrong
Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

You mean your conspiracy theory about Ferrari using the wind-tunnel as an excuse is not in bitterness?
Forgive me if I saw it wrong
What conspiracy theory? Did you read what I wrote?

To me it seems odd to just say it's all about wind tunnel (for the reasons I explained), I don't care whether it's wind tunnel or not, and which ever it is, it doesn't make Ferrari better or worse in my eyes, it just seems like there has to be more to it than a "bad wind tunnel".

But like I said, whether that's the case or not, it doesn't make them in my eyes any worse or better.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:05 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Looks like Masa's faster pace had something to do with him running a new RBR spec exhaust. Alonso will be getting the same exhaust for the remainder of the season. This is not over by any means..
Old 10-19-2012, 12:17 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Now that Alonso is no longer milking a big lead, I think Ferrari can be more aggressive with bits and pieces they put on the car. Probably a smart move to put the RBR exhaust on Massa's car as a test mule and see if he could get to the end of the race because Alonso cannot afford any more DNFs.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:21 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Now that Alonso is no longer milking a big lead, I think Ferrari can be more aggressive with bits and pieces they put on the car. Probably a smart move to put the RBR exhaust on Massa's car as a test mule and see if he could get to the end of the race because Alonso cannot afford any more DNFs.
Yuup, that is exactly what they did and Massa was clearly faster than Alonso. This bodes well for Ferrari. I also read that they are working on their own double DRS.
This is not the 1st time Ferrari has dropped the ball for a while and put themselves in a bad situation. 2 yrs back, the same thing happened where they stopped development of the car and ended up losing the championship by just a few points. They had the fastest car for the 2nd half and decided to just stay in cruise control.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yuup, that is exactly what they did and Massa was clearly faster than Alonso. This bodes well for Ferrari. I also read that they are working on their own double DRS.
This is not the 1st time Ferrari has dropped the ball for a while and put themselves in a bad situation. 2 yrs back, the same thing happened where they stopped development of the car and ended up losing the championship by just a few points. They had the fastest car for the 2nd half and decided to just stay in cruise control.

Quick Reply: 2012 Grand Prix of Korea