Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA DE (Green Group) -- Track Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts
Default PCA DE (Green Group) -- Track Insurance?

Looking forward to my first DE with PCA at Summit Point in late October.

Looking at insurance options and would be curious to hear thoughts about the PCA-endorsed Lockton HPDE Insurance Program?

A quick quote from the website yields about $700 for a single-event policy, ugh.

Other options?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 919 Likes on 561 Posts

How much are you insuring and what deductible?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Just did the online quick quote for 100k agreed value (no deductible selection option in the quick quote).
Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Green Group? Don't do the insurance. Leave the Ego at home and listen to your instructor. You and your car will be fine.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 PM
kouzman
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Green Group? Don't do the insurance. Leave the Ego at home and listen to your instructor. You and your car will be fine.
+1 on that

I am running in the green group too and now I am going for my third DE. Just remember that it is not a race to each other. Just listen to your instructor and enjoy high speed driving!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 AM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I would agree with others and say that you will most likely need track insurance when your solo.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:10 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can understand why you might want track insurance, but you're more likely to get into an accident driving TO the track than when you're ON the track. Just listen to your instructor and have a good time.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:39 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gadzooks! I've bought it once for an agreed value of $20K, and it was about $100. A friend of mine, same story as a Group 1 and Group 2 (so it wasn't because I'm an instructor). I've always thought and said "if you can't afford to leave it at the track, don't take it," and only drove the 968 because the race car is still not back together.

I'll say that I've seen about as many, maybe even more students with cracked up cars in DE's than solo drivers. But if you've got a $100K car, you've got PSM, which will certainly help keep things in check. Can't think of a car with PSM that I've seen get cracked up (but I did have a student who was trying his best to overpower it!!!)
Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a quick look around their website and couldn't find an exact answer- do they cover damage caused by mechanical failure and other cars running into you? Even you go out there and only take the car up to 50% all weekend, there are still factors you can't control. Does the insurance make financial sense? Maybe, maybe not. $100,000 sounds like a big risk to me though, and since there are factors you can't control the insurance can still offer peace of mind.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other options: For that kind of money, it would be worthwhile to buy a cheap track only car to learn on.

That said, I too am a Greenie, and I have been to 3 DEs, with 3 different cars, and I bought track insurance from Lockton all 3 times, because none of my cars are completely paid for.

For the RSX Type-S, Lockton was about $90; for the BMW 335xi, it was about $160; for the ancient 911, it was about $90.

I haven't been in an "incident", yet, but I have seen cars be T-boned and others end up in the tire barriers, walls, or gravel pits. Some had substantial damage.

I have also seen the Greenie owners of brand new Caymans and GT3s obsessively cleaning bug and rubber residue off the fronts of their babies.

I just can't see bringing a $100+K car to the track, not with my income level, but you might be different. I'm just thinking if I had a $2000 a month payment still, how happy I would be making that payment every month for the next 6 years and not having a car to show for it.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 919 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Just did the online quick quote for 100k agreed value (no deductible selection option in the quick quote).
My opinion - for a car worth that much, I would insure it. I always tell people, you have to be willing to leave the car you drive on the track at the track. If not, don't take it or insure it.

And my opinion - regardless of PSM and everything else, physics still applies. And PSM doesn't control other folks or when **** happens (oil drop, antifreeze drop, etc.).
Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Thanks all. Insights very much appreciated.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 AM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hello! first, congrats on attending your first event -- you will be certain to have a BLAST!!! I thought I'd mention something that hasn't been brought up yet -- have you considered renting a complete ride? I tend to do a lot of coaching for an outfit who rents BMWs up and down the east coast (Drive-Gear racing); they have 4 or 5 fully race prepped E30 BMWs (used in SCCA ITS, and NASA Spec E30 racing); they will rent for DEs too. this type of rental is 'arrive and drive', which means EVERYTHING is included (gas, tires, any wear and tear items, even lunch and drinks!). typical cost per day to do this with them is around the price of your insurance quote!!!! no wear and tear on your personal vehicle, no fuss or muss getting there and back (trailering, etc). if something goes wrong, they fix it or give you a backup car. yes, it's true that an ITS BMW is not as fast as your modern P car, but also true is that you will probably learn more (no electrical intervention from nannies), and you will certainly be safer (full welded cages/nasar bars, race seats and belts on both driver and passenger). it's something to consider, for sure! hope you have a wonderful time at your first DE event, no matter what!

Todd
ReidSpeed
Old 10-04-2012, 11:29 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
And my opinion - regardless of PSM and everything else, physics still applies. And PSM doesn't control other folks or when **** happens (oil drop, antifreeze drop, etc.).
The last part is key. Happens more than it should.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by d15b7
hello! first, congrats on attending your first event -- you will be certain to have a BLAST!!! I thought I'd mention something that hasn't been brought up yet -- have you considered renting a complete ride? I tend to do a lot of coaching for an outfit who rents BMWs up and down the east coast (Drive-Gear racing); they have 4 or 5 fully race prepped E30 BMWs (used in SCCA ITS, and NASA Spec E30 racing); they will rent for DEs too. this type of rental is 'arrive and drive', which means EVERYTHING is included (gas, tires, any wear and tear items, even lunch and drinks!). typical cost per day to do this with them is around the price of your insurance quote!!!! no wear and tear on your personal vehicle, no fuss or muss getting there and back (trailering, etc). if something goes wrong, they fix it or give you a backup car. yes, it's true that an ITS BMW is not as fast as your modern P car, but also true is that you will probably learn more (no electrical intervention from nannies), and you will certainly be safer (full welded cages/nasar bars, race seats and belts on both driver and passenger). it's something to consider, for sure! hope you have a wonderful time at your first DE event, no matter what!

Todd
ReidSpeed
Todd - does that include full (0 deductible) insurance on the car also? If so, $700 is very good for a full day..

Quick Reply: PCA DE (Green Group) -- Track Insurance?