Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA DE (Green Group) -- Track Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hi -- for DE days, depending on the track (distance to tow there, etc) it's in that neighborhood per day. they charge a bit more for a real race day (I still think its at around $1k a day for that) due to much more wear and tear on the car, etc.

no, that rate doesn't cover any 'insurance'; if you hit things, you pay for the damage. the big HUGE difference is that the cars are worth less than 15% of the street car he is talking about. and repairing them is very much less expensive. I've seen one of their cars hit the tire wall at VIR and be towed back with the entire driver's side sheet metal waffled (door, front fender, hood, rear quarter, tailight, etc), with the motor mounts broken, trans mounts sheared off, driveshaft broken, shifter linkage broken. we thrashed half the night and put the car back together and had it racing for the same driver the next day. I think the repair bill was around $2500 total (that was including a repaint and reapplication of all the graphics the next week when the car got back to the shop). if that was a modern P car? I shudder to think! ($30k maybe?). so typically cars of this magnitude are 'self insured'; although I'm sure insurance could be arranged.

I enjoy driving those E30s; sure they are not 'fast' in a straight line (160 hp at the wheels!), but they are enormously fun; very neutral, very friendly, and communicative. and at a track like Summit, when you are wheeling it around in the 1:27s, it's exciting!!!

Todd
ReidSpeed
Old 10-04-2012, 02:25 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through OnTrackInsurance.com (Jason Katz). Insured value @ $42k. $4,200 deductable and it ran $270 per 2 day event if I got three events. I took it. I am in Green, so unlikely to have an accident from 'pushing too hard' for the car. I am concerned with the '**** happens' factor. At Lime Rock a few weeks ago there was one of those incidents (Instructors group I heard). Oil on the track. Several cars trying to miss it. One car off track. Everyone and all cars ok, but it does happen.

As others have said, if you cant afford to or dont want to afford losing the car, insure it or get something you dont have to worry about losing. For now I will stick with insurance. My third event is coming up, after that I need to buy more insurance. Not sure if I will yet. The odds say I will be fine and never need it. The mind runs through all the scenarios where I will need it. Reality is in between.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 505 Posts

If you can't afford to lose it, insure it. $700 is peanuts for a $100k car. **** happens and I've seen it happen in Every run group. Solo or not solo, people make mistakes and cars can have technical issues.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say it stronger, you will be more likely to have a accident without insurance. Your going to be worried about your car and frankly if you have a 100k plus car on the track for your first event you would be foolish to not insure it. 700 sounds like a lot until you do the ma 2 days 4 sessions per day and you might get your instructor to drive your car in a higher group so 8-9 sessions that's less an 100 per session. The risks are negligible but the accidents are almost always an end of the car. Can you afford to simply write off this car. Say someone else slides and you dodge them you are out much more than 700.00

Another consideration is multi event rates. If you take out 6 events over a year your per unit cost drops. Your standard insurance will not pay for the damage and if you have this car financed and the lender finds out its on the track without track insurance there is another issue to deal with.

Bottom line buy the insurance, if you can't afford it then you shouldn't track.

Quick Reply: PCA DE (Green Group) -- Track Insurance?