Sponsored by:

Braking, Braking...Damned Braking!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
There's a big difference between slamming on the brakes, and squeezing them. If you have the book "Going Faster," it gives a very good explanation. By squeezing them, you are allowing the weight to transfer before applying full force. If you slam on the brakes, you can lock up the fronts (and yes it is quite possible - I've done it). The pressure should take a fraction of a second to build (I want to think the book says about 0.7 seconds, but that seems like a long time), rather than being instantaneous.

I would guess that your foot is "calibrated" to your pedal, and you apply proper brake force on your own car, but for cars with highly boosted brakes, it probably is more like slamming on them.
With the modern ABS systems on these cars you can stomp on the pedal as hard and as quickly as you want and the controller will work everything out. My guess would be that the instructors want to be very precise in not allowing their students to learn that because it is definitely a bad habit. The driver needs to apply brake pressure right at the limit of what the tire can withstand. With ABS it does it all for you. All the driver does is stand on the pedal as hard as possible.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Bill, that's what Andrei did in my examples...
Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Patrick, here's a comparison for 4 different drivers - same track, same corner. This is a g-force trace.

The red and blue (me and Dave) are track cars with pretty stiff springs, and we get pretty tall slopes. The black and green are both street cars, one's a turbo and one's a GT3.

Andrei (black) has a propensity to "stab" the brakes, as opposed to "squeeze" the brakes. See how his trace is different?

I'd say that Dave (blue) has the nicest brake release - aka trail braking into the corner.

Mark (green) lets off on the brake pressure, and then gives another little stab towards the end of the braking zone, and that's why his curve has that little "shelf". And, on Mark's trace, do you see how the slope is pretty gentle at the very beginning? That's where he's lifted off the throttle and is coasting before applying the brakes.
Can you recreate this graph with both Gs and speed "vs time"? I find that trail braking and "squeezing" can be better interpreted using a time scale rather than distance scale. IMO distance view can skew the data analysis a bit. Also, graph shows blue braking later and much less (.5 G less), and carrying much less speed. It almost looks like there was slower traffic.

-td
Old 09-24-2012, 01:46 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Van
Bill, that's what Andrei did in my examples...
I would disagree. You have a steeper slope than the novice driver in your comparison.

My comment was meant to reinforce the fact that 67King made in that a full force apply to the pedal can have the ability to lock the front brakes before weight is fully transferred (shouldn't be possible if the brake system is proportioned properly but that's a different discussion). With ABS the driver apply rate is completely eliminated from the equation. The correct brake apply in a modern ABS car is as hard and as fast as you can move your leg. A bad habit if you ask me because if you learn on that and hop into a car without the driver is going to have a very difficult time slowing the car. That's why the confusion from the OP. The instructors are trying to teach the proper technique and not allow the drivers to use the ABS as a crutch to mask improper braking.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

While time is a nice way to analyze individual performance, distance is the only way to compare more than one trace.

Also, distance does not change (the event happens at the same place on the plot) as it does with time.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Van
And you might like to see this one - on my new car, I log actual brake pressure.

Same corner as above, I'm the black trace and a novice driver is the green trace.

See how my "squeeze" on is much more rapid (taller slope), and after holding peak pressure I try to release gradually? Max, on the other had, applies some braking pressure, and as he goes deeper into the corner thinks, "oh crap - I'd better brake a little harder!"

That second bump is going into the left hander - just a gentle brake.
Great example!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Van
Patrick, here's a comparison for 4 different drivers - same track, same corner. This is a g-force trace.

The red and blue (me and Dave) are track cars with pretty stiff springs, and we get pretty tall slopes. The black and green are both street cars, one's a turbo and one's a GT3.

Andrei (black) has a propensity to "stab" the brakes, as opposed to "squeeze" the brakes. See how his trace is different?

I'd say that Dave (blue) has the nicest brake release - aka trail braking into the corner.

Mark (green) lets off on the brake pressure, and then gives another little stab towards the end of the braking zone, and that's why his curve has that little "shelf". And, on Mark's trace, do you see how the slope is pretty gentle at the very beginning? That's where he's lifted off the throttle and is coasting before applying the brakes.
I'd want to see accompanying speed to make any judgement, but this is a good comparison of execution.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I think it depends so much on the car, upcoming corner, and tires that you can't use absolutes in the discussion (do this, make it look like that, etc).

Not to mention, I wouldn't take any advice from anyone while you're demoing cars -- no matter who it is. Their job there isn't to make you faster, it's to make you safely enjoy the car and experience (which has no relation to going fast).

My 2cents. :-)

-mike
Old 09-24-2012, 02:24 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BWise
I would disagree. You have a steeper slope than the novice driver in your comparison.

My comment was meant to reinforce the fact that 67King made in that a full force apply to the pedal can have the ability to lock the front brakes before weight is fully transferred (shouldn't be possible if the brake system is proportioned properly but that's a different discussion). With ABS the driver apply rate is completely eliminated from the equation. The correct brake apply in a modern ABS car is as hard and as fast as you can move your leg. A bad habit if you ask me because if you learn on that and hop into a car without the driver is going to have a very difficult time slowing the car. That's why the confusion from the OP. The instructors are trying to teach the proper technique and not allow the drivers to use the ABS as a crutch to mask improper braking.
Steeper G trace not brake pressure. Perhaps he can slow the car better than the ABS can if as was pointed out theblack trace was under ABS. Some ABS systems are better than others. Motorsports systems over street car based systems as example.

Good Thread!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
Can you recreate this graph with both Gs and speed "vs time"? I find that trail braking and "squeezing" can be better interpreted using a time scale rather than distance scale. IMO distance view can skew the data analysis a bit. Also, graph shows blue braking later and much less (.5 G less), and carrying much less speed. It almost looks like there was slower traffic.

-td
Here you go, TD. Like Peter said, time can throw things off, because, due to rate of speed, we're all going to arrive at different parts of the track at different times.

Same data as before, but with the MPH trace and the x-axis is time. David's car, the 911 targa is the most underpowered of the bunch - that's why he can brake later than the rest of us.

Bill, my gut feeling is that higher braking force can be achieved without engaging the ABS for two reasons: first, the friction from threshold braking provides more torsional force around the axle than a wheel that is having the braking pressure reduced completely for short amounts of time; second, the interruptions from the ABS releasing will upset the smooth transfer of weight to the front wheels, which allow them to do more braking.

However, I'm not an expert on that - and I don't even play one on TV... so we'll need others to weigh in.
Attached Images  
Old 09-24-2012, 02:38 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

^^^
Yes you can achieve higher brake pressures and improved braking without the abs application. By properly settling the chassis with the initial application the tires will be loaded properly and will not lock allowing you to outbrake the guy tahr just drives in and hammers the pedal and activates the ABS.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the modern ABS systems on these cars you can stomp on the pedal as hard and as quickly as you want and the controller will work everything out. My guess would be that the instructors want to be very precise in not allowing their students to learn that because it is definitely a bad habit. The driver needs to apply brake pressure right at the limit of what the tire can withstand. With ABS it does it all for you. All the driver does is stand on the pedal as hard as possible.
Kinda like PSM. I wish PCA would support turning it off with new students. Really impedes proper technique from what I've seen as an instructor. I'd love to have ABS on my car, but I'm glad I learned to drive without it.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:28 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by J richard
^^^
Yes you can achieve higher brake pressures and improved braking without the abs application. By properly settling the chassis with the initial application the tires will be loaded properly and will not lock allowing you to outbrake the guy tahr just drives in and hammers the pedal and activates the ABS.
Again I disagree here as well. Assuming the 997 is generally a stock vehicle the driver is not going to beat ABS. You can build more pressure, faster, with a full stomp on the pedal than the guy that drives under ABS. A modern controller can work closer to the peak of the tire than the driver can.

Kinda like PSM. I wish PCA would support turning it off with new students. Really impedes proper technique from what I've seen as an instructor. I'd love to have ABS on my car, but I'm glad I learned to drive without it.
There is a serious downside to turning it off. Although, I fully agree that drivers should really learn to drive without it, so that they fully understand proper technique before jumping into a vehicle with the system on. Almost all modern cars rely on ABS even before the pedal starts pulsing under your foot. Most cars have electronic rear biasing now-a-days as well as functions that modulate pressure when you start turning the wheel.

Bill, my gut feeling is that higher braking force can be achieved without engaging the ABS for two reasons: first, the friction from threshold braking provides more torsional force around the axle than a wheel that is having the braking pressure reduced completely for short amounts of time; second, the interruptions from the ABS releasing will upset the smooth transfer of weight to the front wheels, which allow them to do more braking.
ABS doesn't reduce all pressure, its only going to drop enough so that the wheel recovers to a lower slip level. An ABS controller will almost always be able to control the tire closer to its peak than the driver can, which will result in a shorter braking distance. The weight transfer is a function of longitudinal decel, so at the initial brake apply ABS will have limited affect on that rate until the wheel starts to go toward lock. The other advantage is that the controller can maximum rear braking while there is still weight on the rear and control the pressure down as it transfers forward.

Steeper G trace not brake pressure. Perhaps he can slow the car better than the ABS can if as was pointed out theblack trace was under ABS. Some ABS systems are better than others. Motorsports systems over street car based systems as example.

Good Thread!
Yes, acceleration won't be directly applicable to brake pressure across different vehicles, but for each vehicle acceleration and brake pressure are directly related. For the same vehicle, compare G or brake pressure, same result. For data acquisition you only really need to long one. If you know where you are using the brake you can back calculate the brake pressure to achieve it.

Some ABS units are better than others. I agree with you on that one, but depending on the vehicle and the purpose a lot of street units are extremely good. For the Porsche track applications it is likely very well done. The motorsports units get good performance because there are less functions active (no TCS, no ESC) so the compromises are far less since the focus is so narrow. But, the motorsport units will be derived from the same hardware and software that the street units are.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:30 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
And you might like to see this one - on my new car, I log actual brake pressure.

Same corner as above, I'm the black trace and a novice driver is the green trace.

See how my "squeeze" on is much more rapid (taller slope), and after holding peak pressure I try to release gradually? Max, on the other had, applies some braking pressure, and as he goes deeper into the corner thinks, "oh crap - I'd better brake a little harder!"

That second bump is going into the left hander - just a gentle brake.
This is a great example of what I'm talking about. Your trace seems to have very little squeeze. Just straight onto the pedal and achieving max pressure within a very short space of time/distance. This is the sort of trace that I've always thought we were meant to obtain. Hence, I can't see how this can be done by squeeeeezing? I just don't see how you can't be leaving seconds out there by squeezing...plus, it's actually harder to do of course. All I was doing coming into the braking zones on that day was thinking about gently initiating the initial cadence after being told I was too sudden. As has been mentioned, I think this emphasis on squeezing was definitely part of a demo day mentality but it's not like this was an isolated case of the squeeze being taught.

ps, thanks Van for the graphs. Much appreciated.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:35 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Again I disagree here as well. Assuming the 997 is generally a stock vehicle the driver is not going to beat ABS. You can build more pressure, faster, with a full stomp on the pedal than the guy that drives under ABS. A modern controller can work closer to the peak of the tire than the driver can.
There is no way that a car driven in this manner will be faster than a properly driven car without ABS activation. If you are talking about ultimate braking distance yes, but for a car on the race track, not even a contest...

Quick Reply: Braking, Braking...Damned Braking!!