Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first wet DE almost ends with a bang

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012 | 10:34 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Ha!! I thought I green....I didn't think there were any 'modern' Porsches in that shade green. I guess I have a good eye for that. I have nothing else to add that the other instructors haven't already.
Old 09-16-2012 | 10:48 PM
MattUF
Racer

A very unique color for sure, picked by my Aunt who was the original owner, who is an artist. Thanks for the info on line Gator, I think I try to stay right there to ease the transition left into 10, but I will see about letting it run wide next time I'm there. Some game yesterday eh?
Old 09-16-2012 | 11:34 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Yeah, florida played very well yesterday. I am thinking I might try and squeeze a game in before I move to Japan. Maybe South Carolina or Missouri; it is a little bit of a haul from up here in DC though.

As to the line, there are millions of opinions on Sebring. There are honestly very few places around Sebring where I would get close to the gators/rumbles. A big part of that is the various surface transitions because of the way the track is constructed. In a DE situation, I never felt it was worth the risk of loss of control. I am very happy to see you are learning from your experience. Everybody has an incident sooner or later.

About 10 years ago now (I would say) I was putting together a number of very good laps (for me) in the 930 in the solo group. I thought I was ahead of the brake fade, but I wasn't. Really overcooked T10 and ended up sliding though T10 after a lock up to about 4-6 inches from the tire barrier. Lesson learned.

Anyways, have fun! I really miss all the time I spent running around Sebring.
Old 09-16-2012 | 11:48 PM
jittsl
Racer

Unrelated question. What sort of camera / mount are you using? It seems to roll with gravity. I sure I am (as usual) proving that I am 10 years behind in technology knowledge but I can't remember seeing an incar camera behaving like this.
Old 09-17-2012 | 12:06 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

DE are not really best places to learn car control in this way, try to sign up for local AX events and do several in wet conditions or try top get to some car clinics that are run on skid pad, you need to learn this edge of where car start to loose its grip and learn how to counter this before you lose it into full spin. it takes plenty of time to get a feel how to prevent it.
Old 09-17-2012 | 12:33 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jittsl
Unrelated question. What sort of camera / mount are you using? It seems to roll with gravity. I sure I am (as usual) proving that I am 10 years behind in technology knowledge but I can't remember seeing an incar camera behaving like this.
Camera looks to be mounted to his helmet
Old 09-17-2012 | 12:37 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Camera looks to be mounted to his helmet
LOL jittsl. I almost asked the same question, but at the last second realized it was mounted to his helmet.
Old 09-17-2012 | 12:56 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Cam is mounted on his helmet.
Old 09-17-2012 | 03:26 AM
jittsl
Racer

Originally Posted by 95ONE
LOL jittsl. I almost asked the same question, but at the last second realized it was mounted to his helmet.
I like it. May have to give it a try. I presume then that is a Hero camera.
Old 09-17-2012 | 04:53 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Ok, you were damn lucky. Put it behind you but 'CHANGE THOSE TYRES!!' 6 year old street tyres....yup, Damn lucky!!
Old 09-17-2012 | 08:44 AM
MattUF
Racer

Yep it's a standard go pro mount stuck on the side of my helmet, GoPro Hero2 camera. I like it to see my hands, some don't like it for the very reason you mentioned about it rolling. I've seen people mount it the the "chin" portion of their helmet which I'd like to try, as apparently you can see gauges and it's more like a real point of view.

Last edited by MattUF; 09-17-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2012 | 01:29 PM
Leica356
Rennlist Member

Saw your tracks in the grass! Glad you saved it! This was my first time at Sebring and first wet DE. Thought it was nice learning the track in the wet Saturday and dialing it up Sunday. I love Sebring!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2012 | 02:24 PM
MattUF
Racer

Ha yeah I wish I could've gotten a picture of the tracks, but I was so flustered and pissed ay myself afterward I just packed up and left immediately.
Old 09-17-2012 | 03:39 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Was car tech'd before event?
Not too smart driving on a race track with elevated speeds and forces on six year old tires.
Old 09-17-2012 | 03:59 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
...At 0:20 you change your right hand position to the top of the steering wheel and I am assuming that you have moved your left hand down to the center of the wheel. Keep your hands in the same place all the time because otherwise you won't know when the wheel is centered when you need to react quickly...
Originally Posted by mdrums
:20 is T7 and if you don't move right hand to top of wheel (in most all modern day street cars) to pull the wheel down and your hands are not crossed up with forearms touching.
I'm one of those who strongly oppose the shuffle steering so I agree with Frank, don't do it unless you're on Monaco or somewhere like that.

T7 at Sebring is pretty tight but I see no reason to shuffle there either.
(below is me in T7 at Sebring)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: My first wet DE almost ends with a bang