Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What is your preference ?
2 sprints Saturday 1 1/2 hour enduro Sunday 1 points race each day
43.75%
2 sprints Saturday sprint Sunday 1 hour enduro Sunday both points races Sunday
23.75%
2 sprints Saturday sprint Sunday 1 1/2 hour enduro Sunday both points races Sunday
15.00%
Something different than above
17.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

PCA race weekend format preference

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:48 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default PCA race weekend format preference

Most of the races I've done this year have had 2 sprints Saturday and a 1 1/2 hour enduro Sunday. Summit Point is doing 2 sprints Saturday and 1 sprint with an hour enduro on Sunday. The points races are both on Sunday. NJ did something similar with both points races on Sunday.

I prefer the 2 race with 1 1/2 hour enduro format having a points race both Saturday and Sunday. Just curious as to the preference of most people on this board.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

i like both formats, except the points races being all sunday...

90min enduro's are a ton of fun for me, look at mid Ohio, probalby would have been second if it was a 60min enduro...ended up 5th because 3 other smart E drivers pitted just before the full yellow...

didnt we do a 90 min enduro with 3 sprints a couple years ago at summit...that was freaking awesome...more race time than i ever expected.

if i had to vote id go 2 sprints, 1 90min.....NO QUALIFYING for the enduro...either fastest lap 2nd race or all weekend......
Old 09-12-2012, 02:27 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd like a points race each day as well.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
if i had to vote id go 2 sprints, 1 90min.....NO QUALIFYING for the enduro...either fastest lap 2nd race or all weekend......
+1

Also I would prefer that Sprint #1 be the points Sprint rather than the "last" Sprint. Sprint #1 (usually) has a REAL qualifying. Grid spots mean more. And there has been less attrition too.

No enduro qualifying. Enough is enough. I swear some people were going through 3 sets of sticker tires at Road America.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Not a fan of the points races being Sunday only. Not a fan at all. Why bother with Saturday then? Not to mention, if you have an incident in a points race on Saturday you have time to fix the car before Sunday. With both points races on the same day you might miss both.

I don't hate the 60 minute enduro but qualifying again on Sunday then having 2 races is too much. Keep the old format where the fastest lap of the weekend is your qualifying time for the enduro.

Timing and scoring was hemming and hawing at NJMP that they couldn't set the grid based on prior laps when combining the groups for the enduro. I call BS. Hell, even I can hit the sort button on an excel spreadsheet and they've always managed it before so not sure where all this is coming from.

Don't get me wrong. I like racing but let's go back to the old format. If we keep 3 sprints then at least make the points races on Saturday and Sunday.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:19 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the 60 min enduro better because I didn't have to refuel the car. It's a PITA to get someone to help with that. I like the three sprint race format with a 60 min enduro; could have pts in the second sprint and in the enduro.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Not a fan of the points races being Sunday only. Not a fan at all. Why bother with Saturday then? Not to mention, if you have an incident in a points race on Saturday you have time to fix the car before Sunday. With both points races on the same day you might miss both.

Timing and scoring was hemming and hawing at NJMP that they couldn't set the grid based on prior laps when combining the groups for the enduro. I call BS. Hell, even I can hit the sort button on an excel spreadsheet and they've always managed it before so not sure where all this is coming from.

I go to club race to RACE...not get points..granted thats an extra perk...definately want your best session to be the points race...but what does it really get you?? i know Hunt loves to have facts to back up his smack talk (wont get into why ) but there is no podium girls or cash i know about.
but as Jack said, i dont have funds for 3 sets of stickers...the extra qualifying....i did mid ohio with 3 laps in qual so yuo can get around it but it may not be your best lap and you get done earlier in the day so people who have planes to catch (wish i had this problem) will have more of a cushion.

Timing and scoring, truthfully we have had a few issues at different races with things taking a while....i have never had to work it so i cant say anything about it...im sure it isnt easy though...my guess would be its more than just a button on excel..........see hunt at Summit, time not found...back of the grid each session...whats your voodoo gonna do about karma haha

Im ok with the 60 min race but 90 is freaking fun. ive been screwed by too many enduro's this year but i still look forward to them the most. seems enduro numbers have gotten less and less so maybe a 60 min would increase participation (i understand if you have to rebuild your trans/motor like a cup car does...not to mention axels)

Best point might be Hunts (i hate to say it)...but the ability to fix a car overnight and get back into a race can mean alot to someone...granted it may hurt my chances at a win but id rather beat someone driving then by DNF.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:00 PM
jittsl
Racer

I also believe that the points races should be one on Saturday and one on Sunday so that one issue doesn't screw all your points. Beyond that I'm happy with any format with a slight leaning towards 90min enduro on Sunday
Old 09-12-2012, 04:44 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Sprint on Saturday
Enduro on Saturday
2 Sprints on Sunday
Points? We get points?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
+1

Also I would prefer that Sprint #1 be the points Sprint rather than the "last" Sprint. Sprint #1 (usually) has a REAL qualifying. Grid spots mean more. And there has been less attrition too.

No enduro qualifying. Enough is enough. I swear some people were going through 3 sets of sticker tires at Road America.
+1

I agree with Der ABT and Astroman.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:03 PM
hunterpeaks
Instructor

I really like the 90minute enduro. Actually, it's my favorite race of all. It really gives the drivers that are fitter, have their cars dialed in and are mentally tough a better shot at winning. 60 minute enduro just isn't long enough to create fatigue and allow fitter drivers to show off. Let's do 90minute. Who do we talk with for Summit Point to get this changed?

Totally silly that the 2nd race is the points race on Saturday. Make it the first race and then race the heck out of it. Agreed with Astroman that it has real qualifying times, so should be the points race. Top qualifiers in E at mid-ohio went out at first race and just knocked out a couple fast laps in order to get good positions for 2nd race, then dropped out. Then in the 2nd race, some of those same guys got tangled up and then didn't even get to finish the race and/or got DQ'd. So, that risk they took to "NOT" race in the first race, then resulted in not really getting in any racing the entire weekend! Their choice, but seems silly to have to even make a choice. Enduro definitely should be points race.

Why the heck aren't all the races points races, really? I mean, we are racing, might as well get points!

90 minute enduros are the best. Did I say that?

Let's just do 3 of those! 2 on Sat and 1 on Sunday!
;-)

Hunter
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
944hal
Pro

I liked Summit's format with sprints on Saturday and a Sprint and 1 hour enduro on Sunday. I don't like Enduro's where I have to refuel, at least in the time frame that PCA gives you. I have a difficult time getting out of the car, then refueling, and getting strapped back in 5 min. Since I can't run a 1 and 1/2 enduro on a tank of gas, I usually skip them, points not withstanding. I have no problem running a 90 min. race, fatigue has nothing to do with it, nor does car prep. it's just that I can't be competitive having to refuel, so why burn up tires! Plus, arranging refueling support when you are a one man operation at an away venue is a pain. As for points, I don't care. I race a set number of races a year and enjoy every second, win, lose, point or no points.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like schattenbaums format of 3 sprints and a hour enduro.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
I go to club race to RACE...not get points..granted thats an extra perk...definately want your best session to be the points race...but what does it really get you?? i know Hunt loves to have facts to back up his smack talk (wont get into why ) but there is no podium girls or cash i know about.
but as Jack said, i dont have funds for 3 sets of stickers...the extra qualifying....i did mid ohio with 3 laps in qual so yuo can get around it but it may not be your best lap and you get done earlier in the day so people who have planes to catch (wish i had this problem) will have more of a cushion.

Timing and scoring, truthfully we have had a few issues at different races with things taking a while....i have never had to work it so i cant say anything about it...im sure it isnt easy though...my guess would be its more than just a button on excel..........see hunt at Summit, time not found...back of the grid each session...whats your voodoo gonna do about karma haha

Im ok with the 60 min race but 90 is freaking fun. ive been screwed by too many enduro's this year but i still look forward to them the most. seems enduro numbers have gotten less and less so maybe a 60 min would increase participation (i understand if you have to rebuild your trans/motor like a cup car does...not to mention axels)

Best point might be Hunts (i hate to say it)...but the ability to fix a car overnight and get back into a race can mean alot to someone...granted it may hurt my chances at a win but id rather beat someone driving then by DNF.
Are you drunk? I don't follow half of what you wrote.

We agree on this. One points race on Saturday and one on Sunday.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by racing916
I like schattenbaums format of 3 sprints and a hour enduro.
+1

Quick Reply: PCA race weekend format preference