Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What is your preference ?
2 sprints Saturday 1 1/2 hour enduro Sunday 1 points race each day
43.75%
2 sprints Saturday sprint Sunday 1 hour enduro Sunday both points races Sunday
23.75%
2 sprints Saturday sprint Sunday 1 1/2 hour enduro Sunday both points races Sunday
15.00%
Something different than above
17.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

PCA race weekend format preference

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 PM
cajuncroc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer 2 sprints on Sat, both points paying. 1 hour endro on Sunday, also points paying.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm a fan of three sprints and then dinner with the family on sunday. Really... with all the track time and vehicle wear-n-tear on a pca weekend, i'm ready to pack it in by lunch on sunday, and rest/recover before the pain and agony of the real world begins again on monday morning.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
I'm a fan of three sprints and then dinner with the family on sunday. Really... with all the track time and vehicle wear-n-tear on a pca weekend, i'm ready to pack it in by lunch on sunday, and rest/recover before the pain and agony of the real world begins again on monday morning.
Yes for the last two years, Road America has had Sprint #1 and the Enduro on day 2, and then Sprint #2 by itself on day 3 (and everyone is done early). It's pretty cool... especially for those of us with long tows.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:54 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

In my PCA newbie opinion, I lean towards all of them paying points. Otherwise the non-point sprints become a mix of people racing for the love of it (which is great), and others just running it as a qualifying session with a practice start while having the opportunity to save tires, equipment, for the point races or next event, etc. Not a bad thing either...

Even though I really have liked the longer Enduros, it does make it more complicated when one is flying solo or short handed. There will always be a mix of people that prefer one or the other so I am all for continuing mixing them up at different venues like PCA does now.

Twilight/night races would also be great whether in enduro or sprint from...
Old 09-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

The only way to make all the races "points" races is for all of the PCA regions to agree to have essentially the same race weekend schedule (ie 2 sprints and 1 enduro). Some regions prefer 1 sprint and 1 enduro, others 3 sprints and 1 enduro, others 1 sprint and, uh another sprint

Some race weekends can't have 2 points races while others have 4.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
Some race weekends can't have 2 points races while others have 4.
Indeed... it would have to be across all events...
Old 09-13-2012, 12:11 AM
samluke
Burning Brakes

It was simple decision for me. All races should be points races, and as many races during a weekend as possible.

I like to race, not warmup, practice, qualify, practice start etc. With limited points races, we are faced with decisions on which races to run. I chose poorly at Heartland Park. Raced hard on Saturday, burned up a brand new set of Hoosiers, all for nothing as neither was a points race. Others sat out Saturday, and only raced in the points race. By that time I had no tires left.

In years gone by, I would always do the practice starts/fun races, and couldn't understand why drivers would sit it out. I have now become one of the sitters out. I never thought it would come to this!

I also enjoy the enduro's as it adds strategy to the mix.

More races and all being points not only challenges the drivers, but adds strategy, and reliability to the mix.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

As someone who has spent a great deal of time the last 13 years working with regions on race schedules, I do find it almost comical that there is so much disagreement in the poll over preference for weekend schedules. Truly a case of "you and please some of the people some of the time and some of the people none of the time"
I do find the comments about having too much track time at PCA CR's a bit amazing. Too much track time?! Is that even possible (let me pull this heroin needle out of my arm first before I answer.......)
Old 09-13-2012, 03:36 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
Too much track time?! Is that even possible
I find it odd as well that after spending tens of thousands on a car and thousands more to be at the track for what, a maximum of five or six events a season, racers will sit on the sidelines to save their tires, equipment or whatever. Now if your VaJayJay hurts, that's a different story, go ahead and take a break.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't really care about the points - I don't get to enough races for that to matter. I want seat time, and I get that in a 90 minute enduro!

A 60 minute enduro is is just a slightly longer sprint race in my book...

Shoot, how about 2 or 3 hour long enduros with mandatory driver changes??
Old 09-13-2012, 04:52 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by samluke
It was simple decision for me. All races should be points races, and as many races during a weekend as possible..........
Old 09-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
Too much track time?! Is that even possible (let me pull this heroin needle out of my arm first before I answer.......)
Yes.

Don't get me wrong. I love racing and being on the track. Why would I be there otherwise. But . . .

Last year at SP a 3rd sprint was sprung on us in the Sunday morning drivers meeting. It started about 20 minutes after the meeting ended. Well, I put the car away the night before thinking I had all morning to prepare for the enduro. Begin the frantic scramble!

In Jersey we had qualifying and 20 minutes later a race. That barely leaves time to come in, get a drink, refresh the cool suit, fuel, check tire pressures get strapped back in and onto the grid before it closes which in reality gave us only 15 minutes.

There is a balance of not enough (NASA) and too much. When you have a sprint a qualifying and a 90 minute enduro in one day you are beating the crap out of your car. While some may have a team ready to rebuild their car between sessions, some don't.

Maybe different arraignment of the sessions is the answer rather than cutting whole sessions. Maybe instead of 30 minute sessions (practice/qualifying) they are 25? Leave the races 30. I'm not volunteering to figure any of this out BTW

I find that running from race to race to race with barely a minute to recoup and prep the car adds stress to what is supposed to be fun. Particularly if your car needs something.

I don't know why the format is being messed with at all. It was fine before. The Sunday only points format can really screw a fellow racer who maybe has a mechanical on Saturday.

I'll run every scheduled race no matter what. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Now if your VaJayJay hurts, that's a different story, go ahead and take a break.
Well Franky, most of my races last more than 3 laps so . . . .

Last edited by Streak; 09-16-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:17 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Yes.

Well Franky, most of my races last more than 3 laps so . . . .
Doh
Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

1). Have two practice sessions on Friday
2). Have qualifying for the first Sprint after practices on Friday. Can we PLEASE stop calling Sprint Qualifying "practice #3" and let's go out on the track under the green flag....
3) One practice/warm-up Saturday morning.
4). Two sprints on Saturday. Qualifying grid for second race is fastest time from 1st Sprint or 1st Sprint qualifying.
5). One practice/warm-up Sunday morning.
6) Enduro. Grid based on fastest time so far from qualifying or sprint races.
7) Sprint race with grid based on fastest time from enduro or last sprint.

One enduro, three sprints. One qualifying session. Points races are 2nd sprint and enduro.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't think anyone was complaining about too much track time. I just like to have the flexibility to chose how much track time and to pay accordingly. About half the time (in my four seasons racing pca) i have elected to forego the sunday afternoon enduro (Save $150 and cunsumables/wear-n-tear) and get home to be with my family.

One of the major major advantages of a nasa race weekend is that you have the flexibility to participate (and pay) only for that portion of the weekend that you want. I like the fact that i can work on friday (we have to pay for this silly hobby somehow) and race on saturday and or sunday (individually or both). I don't always want or need five practice sessions before i am ready to race at some tracks. Why force the issue by having one registration fee for the entire weekend? With three run groups and a de group, there should be plenty of time for a quick warmup, a real qualifying session, and two sprints on saturday. Keep sunday as is with one sprint and enduro. Allow people to pay for portions of the weekend and i think you woukd see participation increase. I've done nasa races last minute when i unexpectedly got some free time. It was grest; I did a saturday only option; had breakfast at home, raced all day, and had dinner with family back at home. Not sure why every pca race has to be a three-day deal. I have to work on a lot of fridays, so the option to race-only without practice is appealing to me. And yes, a pca weekend has a ton of track time, and that's great... the downside is that it is very tough on the car and driver especially when you are your own track support. Even a minor issue with the car gets very stressful with the tight schedule.

Quick Reply: PCA race weekend format preference