Sponsored by:

NJMP-Tbolt Is this a good lap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default NJMP-Tbolt Is this a good lap?

Sprint #2, I didn't run in #1 due to the rain, so gridded @ 33 and ended up in 13th. Looking for ways to improve this lap. I had 2 clean laps in the 1:33.337 and low 1:34's.

Thanks in advance.

https://vimeo.com/48271691
Old 08-31-2012, 11:38 PM
S4_Killer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by por944s2
Sprint #2, I didn't run in #1 due to the rain, so gridded @ 33 and ended up in 13th. Looking for ways to improve this lap. I had 2 clean laps in the 1:33.337 and low 1:34's.

Thanks in advance

https://vimeo.com/48271691
Hey Rob

Awesome drive, looks like you're very familiar with the car. My only notes, T2 should be flat out, you're leaving a ton on the table(coming from someone who's leaving a ton on the table), T4 you're also a tad short, the point of the corner IMO is getting you respectable coming out of T5, which you're doing well. The octopus is anyone's gamble, I don't know anyone who knows how to do it "right". Turn 11(coming on the straight) flat out, no excuses, you can do it. Boss drive, you earned the record.

Best Regards
Baron
Old 09-01-2012, 08:49 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob,

Your T1,2, and 3 are good. Min apex speeds are pretty close. T4, your over braking a little bit. Try to keep min speed closer to 90mph and use hard throttle leaving the apex. You cannot drive back to the right side of T5. Car will be track left to middle left entering T5. Just try and get the car a bit straight for braking. You min speed in T5 should still be 55mph or better. T6 looks really good as does T7. T8, your min speed is still good. Compare using a larger radius on entry of T8 ( going all the way across to track left) versus the line you are using. It may end up even, but sector comparisons will help. Same leaving the octopus. Get a bit of car rotation (slight pause) as you climb out and keep the car middle to middle left entering the esses. Compare this sector to the current line your using. Some cars like the more gentle entry and get to the bridge faster others drop too much time getting left to make it worth it.

As far as flat through T2 your T1 speed will dictate if this is possible and your already approaching 70mph as a min T1 speed (75mph is absolute max). I would leave this alone based on your run to T3. T3 is excellent and leave it alone. Very little to gain there without big consequences.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:30 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

being a novice but having driven that track many times I love watching and hearding from experienced drivers...particularly in similar cars!

The line you took through the octopus is the one that's always worked best for me.

I have had many DE instructors (who were not 944 drivers) advocate a wider (left side of the track) entry to the previous turn however once I got the suggestion to change my line to the one you drove, it made a world of difference!

Nice driving !
Old 09-01-2012, 10:58 AM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know.... but from behind on the Enduro, this rookie thing does not apply to you anymore either!!!! Congrats on awesome finishes, great driving, and kickn' lap times throughout the entire weekend!

Fully agree on T1 - T2 relationship as stated by BobT.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,686 Likes on 872 Posts

Very nice! Since other have offered detailed commentary, my only other observation is that your turn in for T1 was somewhat choppy...which unsettled the car a bit...which forced you to hold (and even add) steering at and after the apex. Ideally you'd use slightly slower hands there, and begin releasing lock as you approach the apex (see other thread regarding variious cars filmed in slow motion here).
Old 09-01-2012, 01:28 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Rob, It would be interesting to overlay your data with mine. I'd love to see the differences between intervals since the best total lap time is not very diferent, about .3 seconds.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rob,
You're way off here, you need to brake a lot more and don't push the gas pedal so hard. In this way, you'll qualify behind me and can watch my lines!
Well done.

Btw; how is it that your camera moves around so much?

Last edited by gums; 09-02-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:02 AM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I over brake into T1 and probably could carry more speed thru 2. Heavy braking into one unsettles the car, I blame the diff. Turn 4 is a favorite and tend to catch folks there, but still think I can carry more mo thru to 5. My diff sucks, so getting power to the ground in 5, (inside line) is tough so I tend to try to go wide there. Frank, I will have a word with the camera man in the back seat, he never sits still... The camera may have started to rotate in the mount. Think I need to upgrade to a gopro.
Thanks for the input and have a great LD.

Quick Reply: NJMP-Tbolt Is this a good lap?