Car Sickness Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Car Sickness Racing

Patch,Bonine,Psuedophedrerine? Thoughts?

Happend again at Mid Ohio and a good cure would be worth 2-3 seconds a lap!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:00 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

You can try to train your brain to accept the disconnect between what you see and what you feel. It may be a very unpleasant training period, but it can be done. Do you get sick in simulators or movies?

Ginger has anecdotal evidence for preventing motion sickness.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

go to doctor, it is most likely result of vertigo caused by particles in the liquid in the middle ear area, there is very simple physical therapy procedure to get rid of that but it may be more complicated in some cases. overall you feel sick as brain is confused my mismatch from data you eyes provide when it does not match what your middle ear reports. it got nothing to do with stomach.
i know in my case only repeated procedures helped to reduce it to some level, self mediaction was pretty useless unless you swallow something strong enough to knock out your brain flat but to drive in such condition is not a best idea.
http://medicalartsrehab.com/vertigo-therapy.html
Old 08-22-2012, 01:18 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I chew gum. Your saliva is a natural anti-acid. Chewing gum creates more saliva.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
I chew gum. Your saliva is a natural anti-acid. Chewing gum creates more saliva.
Not a racer, but I chewed gum during DEs to relax the jaw. Then I read an article discussing wrecks and gum blocking the wind pipe ... you just can't have fun any more.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos
Patch,Bonine,Psuedophedrerine? Thoughts?

Happend again at Mid Ohio and a good cure would be worth 2-3 seconds a lap!
Have a friend with similar problem, they went to a chiropractor and he solved the problem. Drugs are not always the best (only) solution.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:03 PM
angelo1404
Shamwow!
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Non-drowsy Dramamine. Problem solved.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:10 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by utkinpol
go to doctor, it is most likely result of vertigo caused by particles in the liquid in the middle ear area, there is very simple physical therapy procedure to get rid of that but it may be more complicated in some cases. overall you feel sick as brain is confused my mismatch from data you eyes provide when it does not match what your middle ear reports. it got nothing to do with stomach.
i know in my case only repeated procedures helped to reduce it to some level, self mediaction was pretty useless unless you swallow something strong enough to knock out your brain flat but to drive in such condition is not a best idea.
http://medicalartsrehab.com/vertigo-therapy.html
It sounds like you are describing BPPV. This sounds more like old fashioned motion sickness. There are physio therapists who specialize in vestibular/balance who can help train out motion sickness, but you have to push yourself pretty hard in spite of the nausea.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:24 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinL
It sounds like you are describing BPPV. This sounds more like old fashioned motion sickness.
may be, but it is very difficult to tell one from another. for us who are above 40 and never had this crap before chances are higher it may be BPPV.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:38 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

There's an electronic air sickness wrist band that I've used for passengers that get sick on small planes/helicopters you can get it at Sportys pilot shop. Worked well for people that were very nervous about it, solved some issues with boaters wives as well...

Where are you looking when it sets off? If your eyes are up/out you can avoid the problem...may want to move your lap timer so you're not looking down in the cockpit.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:45 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by utkinpol
may be, but it is very difficult to tell one from another. for us who are above 40 and never had this crap before chances are higher it may be BPPV.
True if it onsets suddenly. There is a very simple test called a Dix-Hallpike that can diagnose it quickly. BPPV is caused by certain positions of the head and not so much by motion.

Exposure to the stimulus that causes the sickness can help the brain learn to deal with it. The problem is that driving a race car isn't the best place to be trying to induce it.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:54 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JustinL
True if it onsets suddenly. There is a very simple test called a Dix-Hallpike that can diagnose it quickly. BPPV is caused by certain positions of the head and not so much by motion.
nah, for me it was different. but it was almost all caused by those crystals that may suddenly begin to move around. it felt pretty bad and happened often ONLY during long driving, i guess, from stiff suspension vibration alone where it would tore those crystals apart from the surface and let them 'dance'. it felt like after 30min whole horizon ahead would start to 'flow'. nasty sh$t.

then they just settle down again and all symptoms are gone.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

I had it for awhile also, had every test known to mankind performed, try googling Epley Maneuver, it's a series of moves that repositions the crystals. It helps to know what ear is the issue and the Dix Hallpike will show what ear it is. It really helped me and it is a simple exercise, also try neck exercises as this will also help the stabilization of the head. It took me awhile but problem gone, I do these exercises now as a precaution. Good luck, I know how annoying this is!!!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:57 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have delayed motion sickness, especially when I'm instructing. I'm fine most of the day, probably due to the endorphins and adrenaline, but get violently nauseous in the evening - not fun.

Anyway - I've found the scopolamine patch to be very effective. Side effects can include blurred vision and dry mouth, but I cut the patch in half to get a lower dose and the side effects are minimal. Doubles the number of patches too!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts
Default scopolamine patch

I also have found the patch to be the difference when instructing a not so smooth student. I probably would have to stop instructing if not for the patch. The only time I had a problem driving was my first time at Road Atlanta. I figure it was due to the elevation changes.

Mark

Quick Reply: Car Sickness Racing