Sponsored by:

Only at a Nascar Race

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Never have liked Jack. He stepped into a WDC car right off the bat with Williams and has been riding that for the past 15 years. He's WAY OVERRATED except in his own mind.

Why can't NASCAR do more road course races? Is it their fan base that likes the roundy round? Those 3600 lb pigs are entertaining to watch on road courses and the fact that they don't penalize for driving right through someone like Jack did give the rednecks the crashes they want. It's a win win isn't it? I think the trick is to be in 2nd place going into the last corner of the last lap in order to get a win.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

One of the factors, I think, is that road racing is harder to keep track of. On an oval the spectator can see a lot more of the track (usually, some tracks not so much). At a road race you pick a spot and watch one corner and a bit of straight.

I watched the NJMP Rolex race in person and it is hard to keep track of who's in the lead after the first pit stop/caution for avid fans much less the casual fan. The ALMS (and this is the only effin thing they've gotten right) has an app that is really handy to keep track of the race. Grand-am may have one now but they didn't at the time.

Oval races are just easier to broadcast and watch.

I'm with you though, the road races have been entertaining. It was very interesting to hear the commentary at the WG race. All they kept saying was about how much skill it takes to road race and how hard it is on the cars. The fact that the drivers had to brake, shift, turn and try to keep a competitor from passing them was just talked about over and over and I kept thinking to myself "every time they talk about the skill needed to road race vs oval race they are slamming Nascar" and they were. They talked about it with a sense of wonder as if the road racing thing were new to the world.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
OThey talked about it with a sense of wonder as if the road racing thing were new to the world.
Agreed!

The other thing that strikes you though as you watch these guys and gal horse these cars around the road courses is just how much talent they have.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:16 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Last night on Speed on the Dave Despain show they interviewed a rookie in one of the NASCAR tiers who was in the points lead or near the top and I almost fell off my armchair quarterback chair when he said that it was harder to turn right than he originally thought .....
Old 08-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Ahem...

Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

old one:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Only at a Nascar Race